Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet Tire replacement recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 with 18 inch wheels. 32K miles and getting the tire wear warning. Debating replacing with Tesla OEM standard tires or go with something else.
Priorities are:
1. Noise
2. Wider ( reduce curb rash risk )
3. Price

Thanks for any recommendation's

Vrdestein
1. No improvement, maybe worse
2. yes!
3. Yes!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220203-142112_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220203-142112_Gmail.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 745
Reactions: instigator
For wider go with 245 instead of 235. 245 is also a completely standard fitment on 8.5" wide wheels, even Tesla has fitted 245 on 8.5" from the factory on some cars (like my Model S), and so do lots of other brands (like my last Subaru).

The rest of my tire priorities are different from yours so I have no specific recommendations, but I am happy with the 245/45R18 size tires on 18x8.5" wheels I recently put on my M3P (same size as your wheels), replacing its original 20" setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: instigator
I recently installed Nokian One tires - with 1,000km on them, I can state the following:

1 - they are QUIET. Very much appreciated.
2 - they have low rolling resistance - my range has already improved. I was averaging 183 wh/km with my Continental DSW 06 tires; now it's at 155 wh/km since installation. Nice.
3 - handling - no issues whatsoever.
4 - Warranty of 80,000 miles/129,000km is nice.

With 127,000km on the car, it's the 3rd set of tires - hopefully these will last the life of the car (while I own it).

I have the Continental Pure Contact LS in 245/40-19. Highly recommend this tire. It's very quiet...almost as quiet as the stock 18 Michelin MXM tires. What you do notice, however, is the pinging sounds because there is no foam insulation in the tire, but it's quit subtle and not annoying at all.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Put stock size Continental DWS06+ on my car last week (Late 202 M3 RWD) I've run them on many cars and was never happy with the Michelin's the car had on it, they were at best a "ok" tire..

The DWS06+ is close to the same sound level as the original Michelins with the foam liner, but the pitch is just slightly lower to me, and according to My wife and daughters the car is quieter to ride in now.. (Easier to hear in the back seat)

So I would say the DWS is a dectn replacement and the handling and performance of them is way better, haven't driven them enough yet to get a feel if there is a mileage impact yet.

• Informative
The DWS seems to just have more grip in any direction.. I don't spin the rear tires as much now and no comparison in how much better they are in the wet.. I haven't tried to panic stop it .. Now I need to wait for my wife to get home and go for a drive.. :) I do kind of push on it a bit when I'm just out running around.. (Especially on nice sweeper roads.. ) I also have a car with Sport Pilots, great dry weather tire, suck in the cold and wet.. (they even had a warning lable on the box when I go tthem... )

I've used three DWS sets up on prior cars,, they were absolutely awesome on our previous 06 BMW 330Xi(AWD).. And a 95 318TI that it replaced(RWD)

Which tires stop best?
@rosinhound Any tire with a "performance" focus should stop shorter than the MXM4. That tire is good for long tread life, low noise, low rolling resistance, and a smooth ride (soft sidewalls). It's terrible for grip, handling, and road feel. At least that was my experience with the Tesla-spec 245/45R19 MXM4 on a Model S P85. I hated the MXM4 to be frank, but your preferences may vary!

We tried the MXM4 because my wife was fed up with how quickly the summer performance tires I was choosing wore out, and she figured a Tesla spec allseason should last longer. She was right, the MXM4 is a long-lasting tire, but it drives like wet poop. When we finally replaced the MXM4 with a decent Conti allseason even my wife agreed the car grips and handles betters, wet and dry. (Comparing worn down tires vs new in the wet isn't fair of course, but if memory serves the MXM4 never gripped as well as these Contis.)

The Contis allseasons we have on our S now are *not* the DWS series unfortunately, they're something else a local tire shop had on hand when we urgently needed tires after wife hit a curb. These tires turned out to be pretty good though! But they're probably not as good as the latest DWS, and they're not as quiet as the Tesla-spec foam lined MXM4 were either, so I'm not recommending them here in this quiet-focused thread.

Reactions: allentx46
Btw the Conti DWS series has been known for many years as the best UHP (ultra high performance) allseason if you care about much about snow performance. They won't come close to keeping up with a real winter tire in the snow and ice of course, but from what I've seen and experienced the DWS series is better than other UHP allseasons in the snow (which are usually terrible).

On the flip side, DWS aren't the very top performing UHP allseasons in the wet and dry...that's the tradeoff for having some basic snow utility. Most other UHP allseasons just focus on dry and wet, they're "allseason" because they work in the cold, NOT because they can actually handle any serious snow. But the DWS are still a very solid performing allseason, they offer a good and somewhat unique tradeoff of allseason performance.

I haven't shopped for UHP allseasons in a long time, someone please correct me if my advice here is out of date. :)

Reactions: dwtaylorpdx
I think your right on it, My 330xi was a dang good snow car with any tire the DWS was the best one I could find that wasnt stepping to a pure Ice capable tire like a blizzak. I have run the Michelin X-ices on a ev and they are very very good, and they actually give a Mileage warranty on them, unlike most other specialty winter tires.

• Informative
I am clearly no expert on this subject but I have been following lots of posts of people wanting to replace worn tires. I have read post after post, plus numerous youtube videos and the bottom line is I still don’t know what to do. My car has 12K miles on it and the OEM Michelins still look great. They did not need a rotation until about 10K miles.
However there are 2 important facts I have learned: weight and torque. The weight of our cars is generally heavier than ICE cars and we spin our tires faster than ICE cars due to the nature of the vehicle. Therefore, I am inclined to make sure to buy tires that are specific for EV cars. Even if you have had great results with tires in the past, does not translate to success with our EV. Of course we need tires with XL ratings. If I had to buy tires today, I think I would buy the same ones the car came with. I am going to make a big assumption (I could be wrong). The assumption is that Tesla knows what they are doing with fitting the car with the proper tires. I don’t need them now, but will in the future. Actually I hope not to buy them because I lease my car and back it goes in 3 years, 2 years left on the lease.

• Disagree
Reactions: CEEV
and we spin our tires faster than ICE cars due to the nature of the vehicle. Therefore, I am inclined to make sure to buy tires that are specific for EV cars. Even if you have had great results with tires in the past, does not translate to success with our EV

Teslas do not spin their tires faster. It's physics. A tire of a certain diameter spins a certain number of revolutions per mile. Tesla tires are not particularly short. The smaller the car the faster the tires spin, so something like a Miata or Fit spins tires much faster than us at the same speed.

The Model 3 isn't particularly heavy either. 4000 lbs is pretty normal today. Yes, it has more torque than a lot of cars, but the max torque you put on a tire is always under braking, and all cars can do way more braking torque than a Tesla can in accel (except a Plaid....)

Nothing is going to go wrong with a non-EV tire. EV tires are just focused on maximal efficiency (at the trade of other things generally).

Tesla puts plenty of "non-EV" tires on their OEM cars, and have for years.

Teslas do not spin their tires faster. It's physics. A tire of a certain diameter spins a certain number of revolutions per mile. Tesla tires are not particularly short. The smaller the car the faster the tires spin, so something like a Miata or Fit spins tires much faster than us at the same speed.

The Model 3 isn't particularly heavy either. 4000 lbs is pretty normal today. Yes, it has more torque than a lot of cars, but the max torque you put on a tire is always under braking, and all cars can do way more braking torque than a Tesla can in accel (except a Plaid....)

Nothing is going to go wrong with a non-EV tire. EV tires are just focused on maximal efficiency (at the trade of other things generally).

Tesla puts plenty of "non-EV" tires on their OEM cars, and have for years.
Please report back to us the wear on your non EV tires.

Please report back to us the wear on your non EV tires.
I race my cars, so I get pretty awful wear. But I don't get any worse wear on my EV's than on my ICE cars, and I definitely don't use "EV tires"

You really think tire companies know how to make a tire wear better while maintaining all the other characteristics of a tire and they only sell these as "EV tires"? Why wouldn't these just be great tires for all cars?

I read it to mean “spin out” or “peel out”, as in breaking traction during hard acceleration. Which makes sense.
Except the amazing traction control on an EV vs an ICE car means they basically never "peel out", so even this case is easier on a tire than normal cars. You flat out can't spin a tire on a Model 3 unless you have track mode.