Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quietest tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to replace my Continental ExtremeContact DW's with something else. I'm looking for the quietest possible tire. My wife has the stock Primacy's on her Model S and they are noticeably quieter. Obviously it's not fair comparing max performance summer tires to all season's, but it's still worth noting. I prefer driving her car these days because of how quiet it is :(.

Originally I was trying to find the ContiSilent tires that Continental started making recently, but apparently they are only available in the standard 19" and 21" Tesla sizes. The stock Primacy's are also not an option as they are not available in 245x40x20 either.

The best options (I think) that were available in 245x40x20 were:
  1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
  2. Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
  3. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Any other suggestions? It seems like of the above tires, the Cinturato are probably the quietest, and maybe even quieter than the Primacy's, but I have no real-world knowledge. If anyone has had any of those tires and can chime in that would be great.

Not that the customer ratings mean a whole lot, but I am leaning towards the P7's. I'm not sure if some of the old forum posts on the P7's were before the "Plus" version came out, because it looked like a lot of people said they had terrible traction. Then you have tirerack and everywhere else saying the opposite. So maybe those posts were about the old P7's? Not sure...

All I can say, is after searching every post I could find on here about P7's, the only unanimous feedback was that they were quiet. Yay.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.48.19 PM.png

I recently switched to cinturato P7, to my ear at least as quiet as the Primacys. In winter I switch out to Michelin X-ice. All seasons (especially the primacies!) are serious underperformers in winter conditions. Granted I have RWD but for turning and stopping, AWD doesn't really add benefit.

I am about to replace my Continental ExtremeContact DW's with something else. I'm looking for the quietest possible tire. My wife has the stock Primacy's on her Model S and they are noticeably quieter. Obviously it's not fair comparing max performance summer tires to all season's, but it's still worth noting. I prefer driving her car these days because of how quiet it is :(.

Originally I was trying to find the ContiSilent tires that Continental started making recently, but apparently they are only available in the standard 19" and 21" Tesla sizes. The stock Primacy's are also not an option as they are not available in 245x40x20 either.

The best options (I think) that were available in 245x40x20 were:
  1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
  2. Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
  3. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Any other suggestions? It seems like of the above tires, the Cinturato are probably the quietest, and maybe even quieter than the Primacy's, but I have no real-world knowledge. If anyone has had any of those tires and can chime in that would be great.
I would like the quietest tire also. On previous cars I have owned changing from OEM tires spoiled the steering response not necessarily ultimate grip. My 19" S is ready for the 3rd set of tires @ 70K and I have no problem with the OEM Goodyear RSA-2's except that they are noisy. Checking the Goodyear site I see there are 3 product codes for RSA-2's for wildly different prices so I have no idea which ones are on the Tesla. So: has anyone gotten rid of OEM Goodyears and got something better, that is quieter, good tread life and steering response?