TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quietest tires?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by benf, Jun 1, 2016.

1. benf

benf Member

I am about to replace my Continental ExtremeContact DW's with something else. I'm looking for the quietest possible tire. My wife has the stock Primacy's on her Model S and they are noticeably quieter. Obviously it's not fair comparing max performance summer tires to all season's, but it's still worth noting. I prefer driving her car these days because of how quiet it is :(.

Originally I was trying to find the ContiSilent tires that Continental started making recently, but apparently they are only available in the standard 19" and 21" Tesla sizes. The stock Primacy's are also not an option as they are not available in 245x40x20 either.

The best options (I think) that were available in 245x40x20 were:
    1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
    2. Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
    3. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
    Any other suggestions? It seems like of the above tires, the Cinturato are probably the quietest, and maybe even quieter than the Primacy's, but I have no real-world knowledge. If anyone has had any of those tires and can chime in that would be great.

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

Don't they make the Conti Silents for your size?, I thought that were dead quiet on my 21"s

3. benf

benf Member

Unfortunately not, only 19" and 21" :(

4. DougH

DougH Active Member

oh man that's lame.

5. benf

benf Member

Not that the customer ratings mean a whole lot, but I am leaning towards the P7's. I'm not sure if some of the old forum posts on the P7's were before the "Plus" version came out, because it looked like a lot of people said they had terrible traction. Then you have tirerack and everywhere else saying the opposite. So maybe those posts were about the old P7's? Not sure...

All I can say, is after searching every post I could find on here about P7's, the only unanimous feedback was that they were quiet. Yay.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 5.48.19 PM.png

6. FrederikBoivin

i am really happy with my cinturato P7

i log 60k km per year, i know quiet from noisy!!!

• Informative x 1
  7. mdevp

mdevp Member

The Cinturatos are much quieter than any tire I've used. Will break grip in a P85 from what people say

8. Barry

Barry Member

Do you use them in winter? If so, how are they in the snow?

9. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

I recently switched to cinturato P7, to my ear at least as quiet as the Primacys. In winter I switch out to Michelin X-ice. All seasons (especially the primacies!) are serious underperformers in winter conditions. Granted I have RWD but for turning and stopping, AWD doesn't really add benefit.

10. BriansBucketList

No problem with the Hankook Evo 2s- Granted they are 19s, but seem quieter and a bit more responsive than stock tire

11. mdevp

mdevp Member

Pirellis pretty good in rain, can handle light snow, not good in heavy snow but all seasonals never do. I'm coming from NJ winters.