Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QuietTrack vs Avid Ascent GT vs PureContact LS tires, which is most efficient+quiet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking for new tire recommendations from folks. I've gone through a bunch already as I've got 185k miles on my RWD 2013 P85. So this isn't my first time tire shopping around for the Tesla...lol. I am thinking of changing things up. I'll describe what I'm looking for, my past experiences with tires on the tesla, and a list of tires i'm thinking about.

What's most important to me now when deciding for this new tire set:

1. grip in rain, I will never compromise on this, as its simply a matter of safety. I've had way to many bad experiences (fishtailing, losing control) with shitty tires (and when I mean shitty, I'm talking about Goodyear specifically as both on the Tesla and 3 other vehicles that came with goodyears as OEM first set, so I've got a lot of driving experience on them).
  2. efficiency. my average highway Wh/mi over 185k miles is 374Wh/mi at around 70mph. I can't get below 300Wh/mi unless i'm doing under 50. I can only get about 160 real world miles on my P85 from 100% to 0%. After my first set (the OEM goodyears) , I went with my go-to Michelins (AWESOME in rain) and a bit wider at 255.
  3. quietness and ride comfort. the road noise is getting to me. more on that later. but if I can improve on that, great.

Through this time I've gone about 5 sets of tires if I recall correctly. I got about 40-50k miles on each set, although I wear them down REALLY LOW before i replace them (yea i know its bad, the cords were even showing on the Pirelli's....ooops.)

My experience so far:

(OEM) Goodyear Eagle RS
  • Size: P245/45R19
  • TPC Spec
  • Serv. Desc: 98V
  • UTQG: 440 A A
This tire should rot in hell. It should never have been offered for Tesla. It has absolutely no grip in rain. In dry conditions the rear tires squeal and spin.

After the goodyears were burnt, I bought TSportline 19" TST Turbines for my wheels, I switched to my go-to Michelin's (awesome in rain, have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in other cars on Michelins, always love them) and upped my tires to slightly wider 255's->

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
  • Size: 255/45R19
  • Serv. Desc: 100Y
This grip on this was amazing. Also much softer smoother quieter ride than the goodyears. Rear wheels NEVER spun, even under full 100% pedal to the metal. However, they absolute SUCK in snow and ice.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
  • Eco: EcoImpact
  • Serv. Desc: 100V
  • UTQG: 700 A A
Went against my better judgement and tried something non-michelin. Hated this tire. Rear wheels would spin. SUCKs in snow and ice. Could not make it up my driveway in winter.

(winter) Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Studless Ice & Snow)
  • Size: 245/45R19
  • Eco: Green X
  • Load Range: XL
  • Serv. Desc: 102H
Great tire for winter and snow and ice. Still use them as my winter set on my OEM rims.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
  • Size: 255/45ZR19
  • 5-Rib Tread Design
  • UTQG: 500 AA A
Same experience as the first A/S 3 set. This grip on this was amazing. Also much softer smoother quieter ride than the goodyears. Rear wheels NEVER spun, even under full 100% pedal to the metal. The newer A/S 3 "+" was supposed to be better in snow, but in my experience it still sucks. And it also could not make it up my driveway in winter. However, I don't really care because I have dedicated winter tires now. (X-Ice). so I don't really care that this tire sucks in winter.

OTHER

I've also driven on the OEM 21" contintentals and 19" MXM4's from loaners. Wasnt impressed with either, 21s suck in ride quality, and the MXM4s while ok were still louder than my A/S 3 and didn't feel as soft/grippy.

WARPED / FEATHERED TIRES

I should note that on all 5 sets of tires, after about 10k miles on all 5 sets they all developed severe warping/feathered tread wear pattern. For the first 3 sets from that point on until I replaced the tires when the treads were gone, it got really really REALLY loud when driving. It sounded louder than an ICE vehicle. However, I came to realize during the 4th and 5th sets , that it was the low-suspension setting causing this tire warping. (Tesla also confirmed that to me privately once, but they won't ever admit that publicly). I now have that permanently disabled and the tires while will slightly warped have not continued to get worse and have stayed about the same. I've had my car aligned about 7 or 8 times, so I know its not alignment. That low-suspension is a tire-killer for sure. I won't ever drive on low again.

So now we get to the new set that I'm looking for. I'm not sure if I should downgrade back to 245's instead of 255's. I love the slightly wider look, and I don't want to lose grip,

however I would like to improve my Wh/mi if possible. Here's what I'm thinking:

Yokohama AVID Ascend GT
  • Eco: BluEarth
  • UTQG: 740 A A

• Size: 255/45R19 100V
  • Eco Focus: BluEarth
Seems to be a popular tire at the top of tire rack's ratings. I see a few different reviews, some saying it's silent, others saying it's louder. I don't know what to trust here. No idea how it would be for efficiency and grip.

Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack
  • UTQG: 800 A A

• Size: 255/45R19 104V XL
  • Serv. Desc: 104V
This is a brand new tire that came out last month. There are virtually no reviews on it outside of Bridgestone's marketing. I'm worried that it may be too stiff and feel all the bumps on the road if thats what gives it it's long tread-life. I also don't think it has an 'eco' rating unlike the other tires so I'm not sure how efficiency will be on it.

Continental PureContact LS
  • Eco: EcoPlus+Technolgy
  • Serv. Desc: 102V

• Eco: EcoPlus+Technology
Seems to be a popular tire at the top of tire rack's ratings. How would this compare to my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ? Better Wh/mi and quieter? would I lose much grip?

• Size: 245/45ZR19
  • 5-Rib Tread Design
  • Serv. Desc: 98Y

• Size: 255/45ZR19 100Y
  • 5-Rib Tread Design
Do I go with the same tire I'm currently using? I love michelins, grip is amazing, but I'm not as 'spirited' of a driver as I used to be. I don't really floor it too much anymore. If I stick with this tire I don't see how that's going to help with efficiency as this tire is not in that 'eco' category. I don't need the speed rating either.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
  • AO Audi, Acoustic Technology
  • Eco: Michelin Total Performance
  • Serv. Desc: 102Y
  • UTQG: 320 A A

• Size: 255/45R19 104Y XL
  • Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
  • Serv. Desc: 104Y
  • UTQG: 320 AA A

It's got 'acoustic technology' according to marketing, lol. I'm sure grip is amazing here, at the cost of treadwear life and efficiency. I don't need the speed rating either.

So I think it comes down to Continental PureContact LS vs Yokohama AVID Ascend GT vs Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack. The Continental's are probably a safe bet. But if others have experience with the Yokohama in comparison to the Michelin's i'm currently using and these Continental PureContact LS I'd love to hear. Or do I take a chance and go with the brand new Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack tires?

Also should I stick with 255s or go back to 245s? Is there much of a efficiency gain or quietness difference between those sizes?

I've searched through the threads here and there isn't too much on those 3 specifically so I'm hoping maybe more will speak up.

Continental, & Yokohama both make great tires; I personally perfer Yokohama's, they seem quieter to me, but with this very close comparisons, to me it would really come down to the tire that cost less; with that similar quiet/efficiency comes down to the types of road surface driven on most often, if its asphalt, concrete, has rain grooves, seems like it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am ordering the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack 235/45R18. $1000 with mounting.

I will have them mounted 7/2/19. My OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 TO are down to treadwear indicators after 16,000 miles! I have another 6,000 on my Michelin Xi3 tires/wheels.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks, looking forward to your report. I too am looking at the QuietTrack's in hopes of getting more miles than my Goodyears. Hoping they are relatively efficient and quiet.

About how many miles were you getting out of the A/S 3+? I've been using a set of these on 17" rims on my eGolf, which is of course lighter and much less powerful. The OE tires were scary in the wet and these are exceptional. They worked okay for me on packed snow and ice (I'm a ski instructor), unless I get stopped going uphill. They'd probably be fine for me most days with AWD. On deep snow days I drive an SUV with A/T tires anyway.

One tire I've been interested in is the Vredestein Quatrac 5, which is severe snow rated, and is the only all-season tire to achieve Consumer Reports "Best" rating for rolling resistance and is at least "Good" in all other categories. It's also rated very highly by Tire Rack customers in all categories, including wet, winter, noise comfort, and treadwear. Most studless snow tires are rated "Worst" by CR in wet braking, and most of my winter driving is actually done on wet roads (only the last few miles up Mt. Hood generally have snow). These might work well for most drivers as a winter or even all-year tire, especially with AWD. Unfortunately not available in exactly our size, but the 235/50-19 is very close (2% larger, +7mm ground clearance), and narrower is better in slush, snow, standing water, and probably rolling resistance.

Yokohama AVID Ascend GT have a 65k mile rating and have really good dry and wet weather performance. I have them installed on my previous car, and I'll install them on my 3 when the stockers need replacing.

looking for new tire recommendations from folks. I've gone through a bunch already as I've got 185k miles on my RWD 2013 P85. So this isn't my first time tire shopping around for the Tesla...lol. I am thinking of changing things up. I'll describe what I'm looking for, my past experiences with tires on the tesla, and a list of tires i'm thinking about.

What's most important to me now when deciding for this new tire set:

1. grip in rain, I will never compromise on this, as its simply a matter of safety. I've had way to many bad experiences (fishtailing, losing control) with shitty tires (and when I mean shitty, I'm talking about Goodyear specifically as both on the Tesla and 3 other vehicles that came with goodyears as OEM first set, so I've got a lot of driving experience on them).
  2. efficiency. my average highway Wh/mi over 185k miles is 374Wh/mi at around 70mph. I can't get below 300Wh/mi unless i'm doing under 50. I can only get about 160 real world miles on my P85 from 100% to 0%. After my first set (the OEM goodyears) , I went with my go-to Michelins (AWESOME in rain) and a bit wider at 255.
  3. quietness and ride comfort. the road noise is getting to me. more on that later. but if I can improve on that, great.

Through this time I've gone about 5 sets of tires if I recall correctly. I got about 40-50k miles on each set, although I wear them down REALLY LOW before i replace them (yea i know its bad, the cords were even showing on the Pirelli's....ooops.)

My experience so far:

(OEM) Goodyear Eagle RS
  • Size: P245/45R19
  • TPC Spec
  • UTQG: 440 A A
This tire should rot in hell. It should never have been offered for Tesla. It has absolutely no grip in rain. In dry conditions the rear tires squeal and spin.

After the goodyears were burnt, I bought TSportline 19" TST Turbines for my wheels, I switched to my go-to Michelin's (awesome in rain, have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in other cars on Michelins, always love them) and upped my tires to slightly wider 255's->

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
This grip on this was amazing. Also much softer smoother quieter ride than the goodyears. Rear wheels NEVER spun, even under full 100% pedal to the metal. However, they absolute SUCK in snow and ice.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
  • Eco: EcoImpact
Went against my better judgement and tried something non-michelin. Hated this tire. Rear wheels would spin. SUCKs in snow and ice. Could not make it up my driveway in winter.

(winter) Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Studless Ice & Snow)
  • Eco: Green X
  • Serv. Desc: 102H
Great tire for winter and snow and ice. Still use them as my winter set on my OEM rims.

• Size: 255/45ZR19
  • 5-Rib Tread Design
Same experience as the first A/S 3 set. This grip on this was amazing. Also much softer smoother quieter ride than the goodyears. Rear wheels NEVER spun, even under full 100% pedal to the metal. The newer A/S 3 "+" was supposed to be better in snow, but in my experience it still sucks. And it also could not make it up my driveway in winter. However, I don't really care because I have dedicated winter tires now. (X-Ice). so I don't really care that this tire sucks in winter.

OTHER

I've also driven on the OEM 21" contintentals and 19" MXM4's from loaners. Wasnt impressed with either, 21s suck in ride quality, and the MXM4s while ok were still louder than my A/S 3 and didn't feel as soft/grippy.

WARPED / FEATHERED TIRES

I should note that on all 5 sets of tires, after about 10k miles on all 5 sets they all developed severe warping/feathered tread wear pattern. For the first 3 sets from that point on until I replaced the tires when the treads were gone, it got really really REALLY loud when driving. It sounded louder than an ICE vehicle. However, I came to realize during the 4th and 5th sets , that it was the low-suspension setting causing this tire warping. (Tesla also confirmed that to me privately once, but they won't ever admit that publicly). I now have that permanently disabled and the tires while will slightly warped have not continued to get worse and have stayed about the same. I've had my car aligned about 7 or 8 times, so I know its not alignment. That low-suspension is a tire-killer for sure. I won't ever drive on low again.

So now we get to the new set that I'm looking for. I'm not sure if I should downgrade back to 245's instead of 255's. I love the slightly wider look, and I don't want to lose grip,

however I would like to improve my Wh/mi if possible. Here's what I'm thinking:

Yokohama AVID Ascend GT
  • Eco: BluEarth

• Size: 255/45R19 100V
  • Eco Focus: BluEarth
Seems to be a popular tire at the top of tire rack's ratings. I see a few different reviews, some saying it's silent, others saying it's louder. I don't know what to trust here. No idea how it would be for efficiency and grip.

Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack

• Size: 255/45R19 104V XL
  • Serv. Desc: 104V
This is a brand new tire that came out last month. There are virtually no reviews on it outside of Bridgestone's marketing. I'm worried that it may be too stiff and feel all the bumps on the road if thats what gives it it's long tread-life. I also don't think it has an 'eco' rating unlike the other tires so I'm not sure how efficiency will be on it.

Continental PureContact LS
  • Eco: EcoPlus+Technolgy
  • Serv. Desc: 102V

• Eco: EcoPlus+Technology
Seems to be a popular tire at the top of tire rack's ratings. How would this compare to my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ? Better Wh/mi and quieter? would I lose much grip?

• Size: 245/45ZR19
  • 5-Rib Tread Design
  • Serv. Desc: 98Y

• Size: 255/45ZR19 100Y
  • 5-Rib Tread Design
Do I go with the same tire I'm currently using? I love michelins, grip is amazing, but I'm not as 'spirited' of a driver as I used to be. I don't really floor it too much anymore. If I stick with this tire I don't see how that's going to help with efficiency as this tire is not in that 'eco' category. I don't need the speed rating either.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
  • Eco: Michelin Total Performance
  • Serv. Desc: 102Y
  • UTQG: 320 A A

• Size: 255/45R19 104Y XL
  • Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
  • Serv. Desc: 104Y
  • UTQG: 320 AA A

It's got 'acoustic technology' according to marketing, lol. I'm sure grip is amazing here, at the cost of treadwear life and efficiency. I don't need the speed rating either.

So I think it comes down to Continental PureContact LS vs Yokohama AVID Ascend GT vs Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack. The Continental's are probably a safe bet. But if others have experience with the Yokohama in comparison to the Michelin's i'm currently using and these Continental PureContact LS I'd love to hear. Or do I take a chance and go with the brand new Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack tires?

Also should I stick with 255s or go back to 245s? Is there much of a efficiency gain or quietness difference between those sizes?

I've searched through the threads here and there isn't too much on those 3 specifically so I'm hoping maybe more will speak up.

Did you end up picking one? I'm looking to replace my tires soon and looking between the conti purecontact LS and AVID Ascend GT. Could you provide a review? Time will tell for snow but how was it in rain? Efficiency?

Got my new shoes. 19" Avid Ascend GTs

!_MG_4041.jpg

I have the Avid Ascend GT’s. They replaced the Goodyear OEM tires. I don’t have anything scientific to give you, only subjective responses. I also use the X-Ice 3 in the winter so I was not concerned with snow and ice.

Energy - slightly worse than the Goodyear OEM. About 5 WH/km worse.

Handling and Ride. - Handling is much better than OEM. Ride is about the same.

Noise. - At this point, I would say louder to a lot louder than OEM tires. This would be my biggest disappointment with them. I would say they are louder than my winter tires, which is just not cool.

Wet traction - I find the wet traction to be excellent.

Like I said...not very scientific but those are my impressions over the last few months.

• Informative
Reactions: UrsS and odguy
I got the Bridgestone quiettrack turanzos 18" on Tsportline turbines last Friday. I bought a decibel meter. I was getting 71db at 70 mph on smooth Interstate with MXM4s down to the treadwear indicators. I get 69 db with brand new Quiet tracks at 70 mph on same stretch if Interstate at 70 mph. Overall, im happy with these. I assume they use more energy as they have lots of tread compared to the worn out MXM4s.

Reactions: Struja
I have had the General G-Max As-05 is billed as UHP all season.
For the price point I am content and shocked at how well they work in snow for a UHP tire.
I did slipstream wheels at the same time and did not see an efficiency gain so I suspect the twin spoke wheels with OEM Primacy was a little more efficient tire and less efficient rim.

I have not measured noise, new they might have been a little louder than Michelin Primacy but quieted down.
Don't think they grip any better in the dry than the Primacy did so I would catagorize them as a budget tire that is fine up to 5" of snow only RWD only P85. I am an above average experienced winter driver though with RWD experience and a fairly short commute

I put a set of QuietTracks on the car today. I was considering the Michelins, Pirellis, Yokos and Contis and finally settled on the Bridgestones. My initial impression is very positive, they ride very smooth and they are by far the quietest tires I have ever had on any car. This is my fourth set of tires on this car and this includes 21" Contis, 21" Super Sports, 19" MXM's and now the QT's. I have a running total for energy usage, so I'll do some comparisons to see where the car settles for consumption with the new tires. I'm also departing on a 4,000 mile road trip, so I'l have some great data collection in the next couple of weeks. Based on the ride and noise, I'm looking forward to these tires.

It will also be very interesting to see how far they go before they need replacement, so far the longest I have got out of a set of tires was 22,000 on the Super Sports which was only cut short by uneven tread wear caused by an alignment problem that I didn't catch in time. Oops.

I purchased the QuietTracks at Wheel Works in Walnut Creek, Ca and they did a great job on the installation. They are very familiar with Teslas and know the routine with jack mode, torque and tire pressure specifications. They have done several rotations and tire repairs without selling me a single tire until now. Highly recommended.

Any updates on the energy usage differences?
@Trail Runner ? Anyone?

Just finished the road trip and I put over 3,800 miles on the QT’s traveling between the San Francisco area and Calgary, Ab. My overall average consumption for the trip was 307 Wh/mi which compares to my overall average since I owned the car of 319 Wh/mi. I was using 312 Wh/mi in A Better Route Planner for the estimated consumption at 65 mph and that seemed to provide accurate numbers for the trip planning.

I’m still happy with the tires. On the trip we saw everything from 100+ degree temperatures to heavy rain. The tires worked well in all conditions, the only downside I’ve noticed is a tendency to track on deep rain-grooves on some pavement. The pavement on I-5 in Southern Oregon seemed to grab the tires the most, but it wasn’t to the extent of being bothersome, just a side to side movement most noticeable on sweeping bends.

About how many miles were you getting out of the A/S 3+? I've been using a set of these on 17" rims on my eGolf, which is of course lighter and much less powerful. The OE tires were scary in the wet and these are exceptional. They worked okay for me on packed snow and ice (I'm a ski instructor), unless I get stopped going uphill. They'd probably be fine for me most days with AWD. On deep snow days I drive an SUV with A/T tires anyway.

One tire I've been interested in is the Vredestein Quatrac 5, which is severe snow rated, and is the only all-season tire to achieve Consumer Reports "Best" rating for rolling resistance and is at least "Good" in all other categories. It's also rated very highly by Tire Rack customers in all categories, including wet, winter, noise comfort, and treadwear. Most studless snow tires are rated "Worst" by CR in wet braking, and most of my winter driving is actually done on wet roads (only the last few miles up Mt. Hood generally have snow). These might work well for most drivers as a winter or even all-year tire, especially with AWD. Unfortunately not available in exactly our size, but the 235/50-19 is very close (2% larger, +7mm ground clearance), and narrower is better in slush, snow, standing water, and probably rolling resistance.
Is quatrac avail in tesla size though?

ok..narrowed down to 2 tires

1) vredestein quatrac pro

2) conti pure contact ls.

The guy at tire rack was raving on the quatrac pro since he just did testing with it and others but they didnt post the finding yet. Says the wet stopping is a whole 2 sec faster on the quatrack vs the ls.