Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quikr Mach 2 hitch rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone using this hitch rack Mach2 Single Rack - 2" Hitch - QuikrStuff - Proudly made in the USA for Model Y .
This is from the same person that designed 1Up. A bit pricey but have heard great reviews.
If anyone is using it can you share your experience. How does it affect the back camera, sensors etc.

Thanks
Any rack you use with the Model Y is going to tweak the backing camera constantly. I just turn off the reversing alerts and live with it.

Haven’t used the Quikr Stuff rack but I have used the 1Up rack for some time. The big issue I have is the receiver pin is kind of deep in a hole and it’s a bit of a pain to put the lock in and out. You can run it without the pin just using the tensioning ball, but it’s a bit less secure. Maybe the Quickr rack won’t have that issue, not sure how it connects.

I just received my QuikrStuff Rack but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have been using the 1Up Rack for several years but like that this rack takes up less space when storing along with no longer using the ball. Once I have a chance to put it on my MY, l'll post how it works. I paid for the rack in July and just received it, so it's like ordering a Tesla!!

Reactions: Ogre
I just received my QuikrStuff Rack but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have been using the 1Up Rack for several years but like that this rack takes up less space when storing along with no longer using the ball. Once I have a chance to put it on my MY, l'll post how it works. I paid for the rack in July and just received it, so it's like ordering a Tesla!!
Interested to hear how it works out. I was very tempted but just couldn't see spending so much.

Prices on the 1Up racks have gone up too so might be different math now.

I will be selling my 1UP rack soon as I purchased this one to replace it. I have the singe Heavy Duty rack with every addon such as the ramp, fender protector, locks, etc. I will probably try to sell it locally as shipping would be expensive.

Reactions: Ogre
Does that have the 2” receiver? I might be interested. I don’t need the rack itself, but I’d buy the whole rig to get the ramp and resell it. With the 2” receiver it would be more appealing.

(In Eugene but please ping me before you sell it, I might be willing to pop up for a day to grab it)

Does that have the 2” receiver? I might be interested. I don’t need the rack itself, but I’d buy the whole rig to get the ramp and resell it. With the 2” receiver it would be more appealing.

(In Eugene but please ping me before you sell it, I might be willing to pop up for a day to grab it)
Yes it is the 2” receiver and has only been used 4 times.

Thank you look forward to your review

I just bought a model y. Does the quickrack mach 2 mount on the Y? It looks like the safety pin will hit the power harness for the hitch.
I think that would kill the Y application. Looking forward to someone actually trying it on the Y also. These are great systems but do keep in mind if you have fenders it is not going to work unless you grab the edge of the wheels and cinch the bike down somehow.

Reactions: joeinNFLA
I finally installed the Quikrstuff Rack on my MY. It is quick and easy to install. And the safety pin can be moved to either side of the rack so it doesn’t interfere with the wiring harness. I haven’t loaded a bike onto it yet but it seems to work just like the 1up rack except smoother. All in all, it is a really nice rack that takes up way less space when not in use.

Just note that for the Model Y - vertical weight limit is 160 pounds. For model X , vertical weight limit is 120 pounds. I have to change my hitch on the X in order to accommodate the quickrstuff rack (which I have on preorder). For 4 bike option - the rack alone is (28 lb+22 x 3) =94 pounds, leaving only about 66 pounds for 4 bikes on the Y, which I think is hard to do unless you only use 4 super light road bikes.

How can I install and use an accessory carrier?
Tesla offers a Model Y Hitch Rack for bikes and a Model Y Ski/Snowboard Carrier for Hitch Rack. The hitch rack attaches directly to the 2” hitch receiver.
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs. When carrying bicycles, skis or other items on the Model Y Hitch Rack, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded.

I finally installed the Quikrstuff Rack on my MY. It is quick and easy to install. And the safety pin can be moved to either side of the rack so it doesn’t interfere with the wiring harness. I haven’t loaded a bike onto it yet but it seems to work just like the 1up rack except smoother. All in all, it is a really nice rack that takes up way less space when not in use.
Great to hear it fits! What's the clearance like with the rack in the vertical position? Can the trunk be opened when in the up position with one rack installed?

After 6 months plus one week, my Quikr rack arrived today. For the most part I'm very pleased - it's easy to use and seems to do all they say. It was very easy to put it on the car. Easy is what I was shopping for.

Some of the things I like:
  • It came folded neatly in a box that is perfect for storage
  • 31lbs isn't bad for a bike rack that can easily accommodate an e-bike (I almost always only carry one bike on the rack)
  • All adjustments (including adding and locking a second tray) can be made with no tools
  • To fit it on the Y, just press it in the all way...and it will fold up to within 1/4" of the bumper. Perfect fit
  • With no bike on it, you can fold it down to the "halfway" position to open the hatch
  • When I put my big bike on it, the pedals sit about 1" from the bumper, it doesn't drag at the bottom of my sloped driveway, and my handlebars are way above the hatch. Great fit for the bike
  • Really easy to put the bike on and off
  • From the driver's seat, in my side mirrors, I can just see a bit of bike tire on each side
  • I can fold the rack down with the bike on it, and open the hatch
  • No receiver lock needed (you can lock it with pressed into the receiver just by pressing a button, and the safety pin is an extra precaution. Careful, there are rare instances of the rack coming out without the safety pin)
  • No keys needed to install or lock it. A single key to uninstall
That said, I did notice two issues that people should know about before ordering. One is related to the Y's recessed receiver; the other is related to bikes with fenders (or small tires, I suppose).

1. The safety pin was easy to move to the other side (without tools). It's easy to pull out past the receiver lip when installing the rack. But when you want to remove the rack, you have to pull the pin out again. That's difficult, because the Model Y has a small rectangular opening for the receiver...and the Quikr rack has a large rectangular block that presses all the way up against it when installed. This leaves very little space for you to stick your fingers in and pull out the pin. I am going to see if I can find a wrench or something I can use to stick in there and pull out the pin. Note that you can remove the pin entirely...but then of course it's not as secure unless you put in a receiver lock...but that's even worse. Here's a picture of the Quikr's mounting end - that big rectangular bar 2" behind the safety pin presses all the way against the receiver cutout. See also 3:20 in the installation video in the post above - it's easy enough to pull the pin when mounting, but imagine pulling it once mounted (which is not shown in the video):

Feature-6.jpg

2. When I first tried the rack (before putting a bike on), I was very pleased at how tightly the rack folded up for storage, and how tightly it folded up against the car when mounted with no bike (it sits about 1/4" away from the bumper). Then I put on my bike...and I had to loosen the "golden lever" so I could slide down the piece that grips the tire, because I have fenders on my bike (and I can't take them off as they are integrated with the rack and taillight). Kids' bikes with small tires will have the same issue. It's easy to move without tools, and it still gripped my tire above the centerline, so all was well. Then I took the bike off and tried to fold up the rack...and it will no longer fold up tight. The piece that grips the tire, when at the very top as shipped, folds down past the tray. But when you move it down, it hits the tray, and you can no longer fold everything up tight - either for storage, or to fold up against the car. Dang. I will try moving it back all the way up and pressing it on top of my fender, but the fender doesn't seem that stable and I'm afraid it may either damage the fender or not hold properly. Here's a picture of the piece that holds the tire; it's about where I have it, and it's a problem there:

Feature-3.jpg

Two other things I don't like:
1. the price
2. the wait time to get one

Last edited:
Here is a picture of it in the trunk. It easily fits sideways (which is what I think you were asking).

Sideways.jpg

Just for fun, here is how it looks lengthwise, if you want to pack stuff differently.

Lengthwise.jpg

Best of all, it fits perfectly in to the subtrunk!

Subtrunk.jpg

It doesn't quite fit in the frunk, though.

Reactions: akidesir and mscott
Both of the concerns that I raised above are now kind-of addressed.

Regarding the difficulty removing the safety pin: I first tried a 13mm wrench to pull the pin, which did work but was still awkward (a wrench with a more angled head would help). But I changed my mind and instead removed the safety pin (easily done, with no tools). That makes it super easy to put the rack on AND take it off. It's not as secure, but for short trips it should be fine - the low central blue handle lets you get the rack really tight in to the receiver, and then you just press the button to lock it in. If I just remember to rock the rack as I tighten, I am not worried about our regular trips around town. If we are going to take a long trip where it will get a lot more jostling, I'll put the safety pin on for that trip (which should be no big deal since we take my wife's Model X on long trips, and it has an exposed receiver so the pin will be easy to access by hand).

Regarding the arm not folding flat when the tire grip is anywhere but at the top: I moved the rear tire grip all the way back up, so it now rests on the fender rather than the tire. I am a little concerned about damaging the fender, but I'll give it a try - I am at least confident the bike's not going to fall out or anything. The rack now folds up nicely all the way for storage and to stay neat and close against the car.

Here is what the rack looks like when it's mounted on the car, empty and stowed in the "storage" position up close to the car. Unfortunately the hatch will not open with the rack in this position:

StorageBack.jpg

Here is the rack in the same position, viewed from the side. Note that there is very little clearance...in fact if you really push the rack all the way in and fold it all the way up like this, the rack barely touches the black plastic part of the car. You don't have to push the rack in that far, though.

StorageSide.jpg

If you want to be able to open the hatch, you can leave the rack in the "halfway" position. It sticks out a little further from the car, but it's still closer than some other racks I have had:

HalfwaySide.jpg

Here's what it looks like with a bike on the rack:

FullBike.jpg

From a lower vantage point, you can see that there's a lot of clearance so your bike and the rack are unlikely to drag on anything:

BikeClearance.jpg

Here is the clearance between the bike's pedals and the car:

PedalClearance.jpg

If you have the rack in the "halfway" position so you can open the hatch, and you want to remove the pin securing the rack to the receiver, you can give yourself slightly easier access by opening the hatch and then folding up half of the tray:

FoldingTrick.jpg

Last edited: