Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quote Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I’m wondering how accurate the online quotes are for Tesla solar. The prices are much lower than any other non Tesla quotes, but I’ve heard a lot of extras get tacked on and am wondering how true that is. Thanks!!

My quote was exactly what the final price was and it wasn't an easy install. The electrician complained about tearing into the outside wall since my main panel was recessed into stucco. I'd be curious to hear what extras other people had tacked on.
Great to hear, thanks. I have someone from a competing company who says they used to work for Tesla, and they implied the quotes were too good to be true. I'm sure he just wants my business!

Reactions: jgleigh
Upvote 0
Great to hear, thanks. I have someone from a competing company who says they used to work for Tesla, and they implied the quotes were too good to be true. I'm sure he just wants my business!
Our quote was to the penny what we paid.

The downside of working with Tesla is they are a volume installer of as designed systems. So, if you want to customize things you can end up in a long-time cycle of requesting a change and them updating the designing to support the change.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
My quote was exactly what the final price was and it wasn't an easy install. The electrician complained about tearing into the outside wall since my main panel was recessed into stucco. I'd be curious to hear what extras other people had tacked on.
Our quote and actual final price did not change and we had some follow-up changes they needed when it passed inspection. Go with as much solar panels as you can afford since the price of electricity will only increase.

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the great and helpful responses. I am not sure I phrased exactly right - when you go on the website and choose your system size for a fixed price, how accurate was that to the system you ended up with? I put in my address and electric bill and it says I should get the 9.6kW system for $23,570 (I also want the Powerwall but that seems a fixed price, so I didn't include it here). Am I going to end up paying $23,570? Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the great and helpful responses. I am not sure I phrased exactly right - when you go on the website and choose your system size for a fixed price, how accurate was that to the system you ended up with? I put in my address and electric bill and it says I should get the 9.6kW system for $23,570 (I also want the Powerwall but that seems a fixed price, so I didn't include it here). Am I going to end up paying $23,570? Thanks!!
Probably 95 times out of 100 the quoted price is your final price plus sales tax that depends on the taxation rules in your location. The other 5 times the main panel needs to be replaced and maybe the roofing and the price goes up to account for it, but that should be known pretty early in the process.

Upvote 0
It usually is the price you pay unless you want customizations or need additional work. For us, prior to starting they did an onsite inspection and ensured that everything is as they expected. We paid to the penny the quoted price.

However, this is a construction project. And like any construction project there can be glitches. The biggest one seems to be the condition of your roof. We had a neighbor whose roof looked good but when the install crew showed they discovered a bad section. I believe Tesla tries to minimize this by only installing on roofs that are 7 years or less old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks! My roof was replaced about 5 years ago and I just bought my home and had it inspected etc so I'm not worried about that. I went ahead and bit the bullet and put my $250 down! Not sure if I will get PTO this year (I am in New Mexico) but I am excited about getting off the grid.

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks! My roof was replaced about 5 years ago and I just bought my home and had it inspected etc so I'm not worried about that. I went ahead and bit the bullet and put my $250 down! Not sure if I will get PTO this year (I am in New Mexico) but I am excited about getting off the grid.
Congrats! Getting off the grid as much as possible was one of our best decisions.

Upvote 0
I went ahead and put down my deposit, approved my design and, applied for financing. So far Tesla has been very quick about moving along the process and I used the online help/chat and had a good experience. They scheduled my home site visit for 8/11. I'm excited!!

I'm in Las Cruces, NM, so great sun here. I am getting a 9.66kW system plus one Powerwall.

Reactions: holeydonut
Upvote 0
I went ahead and put down my deposit, approved my design and, applied for financing. So far Tesla has been very quick about moving along the process and I used the online help/chat and had a good experience. They scheduled my home site visit for 8/11. I'm excited!!

I'm in Las Cruces, NM, so great sun here. I am getting a 9.66kW system plus one Powerwall.
Congrats ShoeHo.

I'm starting the process here too with a 4.8kw / Powerwall build and I was wondering the same thing about quote vs. final total. I have a couple of issues to resolve. 1. I don't think I have a place for a Powerwall, and 2. There is no good path that I can see for conduit from the roof to the electrical room. I'm on the first floor of a two story condo building.

Upvote 0
Congrats ShoeHo.

I'm starting the process here too with a 4.8kw / Powerwall build and I was wondering the same thing about quote vs. final total. I have a couple of issues to resolve. 1. I don't think I have a place for a Powerwall, and 2. There is no good path that I can see for conduit from the roof to the electrical room. I'm on the first floor of a two story condo building.
Well Tesla cancelled my order. I'm not sure why. The cancellation email is very non-specific.

Upvote 0
Well Tesla cancelled my order. I'm not sure why. The cancellation email is very non-specific.
Probably because you’re in a condo, and it will require working with the HOA’s PV requirements (approvals, liability, designs, etc.), especially if you don’t have existing solar-ready conduit. Tesla is not great at working with systems that need significant customization and back and forth. Probably best to go with a local company that can provide the level of detail/communication that is needed for a condo

Upvote 0