Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quote for HPWC install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called an electrician listed on Tesla's Web site to install a HPWC in my garage. It's a simple install - the HPWC will be mounted right next to my electrical panel. It'll be installed on a 60amp circuit for 48amp output.

His quote was $600 (includes all materials, permits, etc. etc.). Is this a fair deal? I like that this company has installed dozens of HPWCs so they likely have it down to a science.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Reactions: soooma
Since you say it includes all materials I assume that means the HPWC as well? If so then that is a very good deal. If you were to buy it and install it yourself it would cost $500 for the HPWC and a bit more for a breaker and wire. I'm sure they get a discount on the chargers, but it still seems like a good price to me.

Sorry I should've clarified it does not include the charger itself. Materials I suppose they just mean wiring etc.

In that case it seems a bit pricey to me. Obviously, I don't know the electrical costs in your area, but I think that would be worth a second quote. In my area, I generally figure it costs $200 to get someone to drive to your house to do something, then I generally expect $60/hour + materials for specialized work (carpentry/electrical/etc).

In my situation I had a new 100amp breaker added to the house, replaced the support wire and the feed wire to my garage (approx 100' away), then had them add a breaker in the garage panel and run it to a HPWC that I purchased separately. The total price was $1000. The vast majority of that ($900) was the work/expense of the wire to the outbuilding. The charger was almost an afterthought since they already had the panel open

If you look at the manual, it seems incredibly simple to wire it in, hook up the breaker and then connect the 3 wires inside the charger. I probably would've done it myself if I had better power to the garage (well, and if I wasn't scared of doing something wrong and frying something on the car).

I agree that a second quote would be wise. I would expect electricians in an area like Reston to charge much more than $60/hr referred to above. If rates are similar to Boston area, I'd expect something like $100/hour or so. It probably takes roughly an hour to physically wire the wall connector, once the mounting plate is installed and the wire pulled to it. How long it takes to get the mounting and wire pull done would depend upon the wall material, access to it, type of cable/conduit used, and so on. Mine was installed with bottom entry for the cable. I do not know how much more or less it would take for rear or top entry.
Bear in mind that the electrician may charge something of a premium for such a small job, because he has to cover his travel time and the cost to come out for an estimate.
Tip: If you are using the latest version of the wall connector, make sure an electrician knows he will need the T20 Security Pin Torx driver to open and close the protective cover -- my electrician did not have security pin drivers on his truck. He had installed HPWCs but not the newer version, so he was surprised.

Seems like a decent price. A bit high, but it's an expensive area. I got a 14-50 outlet installed for about $400, so a little more for the HPWC doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Definitely shop around, though. That's the best way to make sure you're getting a good price. I used Volta Electric for mine and was quite happy with them, just in case you feel like giving them a shot: Electrician | Electrical Contractor | Arlington, VA | Volta Electric

Seems pricey in my book. What you are doing is very simple BTW if you have any handyman skills. Literally buy a 60A breaker and some appropriate gauge copper wire and you are all set. It's very easy to wire.
I'd consider $200-300 reasonable. He has $40 in parts cost total (wire and breaker).

Why not just do it yourself if it's that simple of an install? Next to the breaker box, it would literally take about 10 minutes to install properly... not including unscrewing the face and trying to figure out where the ground goes on the lower board (zing!) ...

It's a dead easy install and if there's no wire run to speak of, it's something you can with an hour to spare.

Reactions: BigAirHarper
I called an electrician listed on Tesla's Web site to install a HPWC in my garage. It's a simple install - the HPWC will be mounted right next to my electrical panel. It'll be installed on a 60amp circuit for 48amp output.

His quote was $600 (includes all materials, permits, etc. etc.). Is this a fair deal? I like that this company has installed dozens of HPWCs so they likely have it down to a science.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Was this Have Power? I know they're who Tesla recommends in the NoVA area, but I found them hard to work with and definitely on the expensive side.

$600 is about what I'd expect around here, though - they quoted me around $1100 to do an outdoor cable run and mount of just a 14-50 behind my house. I believe Reston is still in Fairfax - find out if your quote includes the cost of a permit, which should be around $150.

I just don't understand the "Tesla Certified Electrician" necessity.

Honestly, this is not remotely close to rocket science and any UL-certified electrician should be able to do a HPWC install without difficulty. The "Tesla certified" ones are just looking to make extra bank because you are a Tesla owner.

And as many have mentioned, for those a little more brave and with any experience in wiring, the HPWC does come with good instructions and is a mid-level "weekend project".

$600 is not out of line for a small job like that in my area if they are pulling the permit for you. In my case, the county office is 15 miles away, parking is a hassle downtown and the permit fee alone is $138. However, I would still get a second or third quote. If you have an extra 2 hours to go pull the permit yourself, they can give you the paperwork and you go stand in line at the Building Department. You can have them quote the job that way too.

I just don't understand the "Tesla Certified Electrician" necessity.

Honestly, this is not remotely close to rocket science and any UL-certified electrician should be able to do a HPWC install without difficulty. The "Tesla certified" ones are just looking to make extra bank because you are a Tesla owner.

And as many have mentioned, for those a little more brave and with any experience in wiring, the HPWC does come with good instructions and is a mid-level "weekend project".
Totally agree, I installed my own. It was a piece of cake, took about an hour and that's because I was enjoying it and taking my time :)

Reactions: richrootes
Many of us aren't electrically inclined, so the tesla certified list was a good jumpstart to quickly learn about the "Tesla hustle"! You say Tesla and the price goes up. Since all the electricians I spoke with claimed they must come to the house to see the layout for an exact quote, then I had no problem sending them on their way if I didn't like the quote.

I had a HPWC installed at both houses, next to the electrical panels with no special needs. In LA it was $525 and 250 miles away, it was $390. I did not use tesla certified installers in either home which ran considerably higher. I really hate that bit about needing to see the site, but no one would even provide a price range without it.

Wish I could have done it myself........

I think requiring a visit for a quote is reasonable. They can't really trust your assessment of the situation. One person might say "it's easy, short run, just a few feet from the breaker box" and that means it's on the same piece of drywall, while another person says that and it's 100ft away and requires trenching the wires under a reinforced concrete parking lot.

They could provide a conditional quote, "if it's as you say, then it'll be $X." But there are a lot of unreasonable people out there who will get upset with them for "bait and switch" because their amateur assessment of the situation was wrong.

They know you're probably calling in several people and there's a good chance they won't get the job even after an on-site visit, so you shouldn't feel bad at all about sending them on their way if you don't like the quote. Heck, do it even if you like the quote, take some time to think it over and then call them back.

Many of us aren't electrically inclined, so the tesla certified list was a good jumpstart to quickly learn about the "Tesla hustle"! You say Tesla and the price goes up. Since all the electricians I spoke with claimed they must come to the house to see the layout for an exact quote, then I had no problem sending them on their way if I didn't like the quote.

I had a HPWC installed at both houses, next to the electrical panels with no special needs. In LA it was $525 and 250 miles away, it was $390. I did not use tesla certified installers in either home which ran considerably higher. I really hate that bit about needing to see the site, but no one would even provide a price range without it.

Wish I could have done it myself........
Don't feel too bad, I'm not that much of an expert myself. There was already a high-amperage line run to the garage which I was able to re-purpose. I'd been using it for a ceramic kiln, which I'd since sold.
Inside the HPWC there are only a few points for wires to go, and the documentation is pretty clear. Then there is a small dial inside where you choose max amps, make sure you don't select more than the wiring or breaker can handle and you're pretty much done.
I think the hardest part for an electrician is patching the mains panel with a new circuit and then running the heavy duty wire to the HPWC location. That part I wouldn't have been able to do on my own.