Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quote from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a quote from tesla for an new solar panel install. The price can out to 22,800 for a 5.85kwh system in NJ. The price seems super high for new jersey. Do you think tesla would price match if I get quotes from other installer. Would like to go with tesla since i already have a model 3 and the ease of using 1 app and company.

That's roughly $3.89/w. My initial quote was $4.04/w in Southern California. I sent them a $3.49/w quote from a local company earlier in the year and they lowered it to $3.53/w using their "Best Value Guarantee" but then I later got lower quotes in the $2.80/w range but they wouldn't budge on lowering the BVG. I would recommend putting your info into EnergySage ASAP and get some quotes over the next day or two then send the best one to your advisor to see if they can match.

• Disagree
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
rfmurphy thanks for the info about energysage, seems like a great research tool, several quotes in San Diego for $2.8/w and most between 2.8-3. I just moved and need to wait a few months to see about energy usage, however will be great to compare with Tesla.

Shoot for a $3.00/W quote from an establish local installer proposing a similar array. I've been hearing of people getting crazy low-ball quotes from EnergySage from brand-new-to-the-market installers who Tesla likely won't feel obligated to match.

The new thing is to quote a massive array on EnergySage so the per Watt price point is the best quote. An offer like that from an unknown installer is fairly useless.

Good luck!

FYI....if you're south of Trenton there's a great installer in Philly. Very responsible B Corp that's been around for a decade. PM me for info, you can keep any referral offered. Please don't use these guys for the above strategy :)

I got a Tesla quote yesterday at $3.73/w for a 6.62kWh system. My Energysage quotes range from $2.8-3/w. Plan on asking Tesla to match but I’ll be happy with sub $3/w pricing

No power walls in your quote? the reason I ask is because @nyprepper got 6.5kw for $3.90 with 2 power walls

If I could get a 10kw quote with 3 PW under $4 a watt then that's not bad as the 3 PW's are $5,500 ea. plus another 1k each for install is that correct?

Last edited:
No power walls in your quote? the reason I ask is because @nyprepper got 6.5kw for $3.90 with 2 power walls

If I could get a 10kw quote with 3 PW under $4 a watt then that's not bad as the 3 PW's are $5,500 ea. plus another 1k each for install is that correct?
No Powerwall in that one. I separately was quoted a larger system with 2 Powerwalls at $5.37/w.

I think you misread his quote. He said it was an extra $14k for the Powerwalls + install so $6.12/w total. Under $4 would be a steal and unheard of pre-subsidy.

I'm in New Jersey who went solar with Tesla back in November. Their original price was $4.04 per watt. They then came down to $3.52 per watt after price matching. I then got one more quote at $3.00 per watt with another company but was using cheaper panels.

Tesla wouldn't go down that low but did go down to $3.27 per watt. This was with their 325W panels and SolarEdge inverters.

Total system size was 26 total panels, no powerwall.

I'm in New Jersey who went solar with Tesla back in November. Their original price was $4.04 per watt. They then came down to $3.52 per watt after price matching. I then got one more quote at $3.00 per watt with another company but was using cheaper panels.

Tesla wouldn't go down that low but did go down to $3.27 per watt. This was with their 325W panels and SolarEdge inverters.

I'm currently waiting for them to update the proposal a bit plus have a few remaining questions before I sign a contract. How did you get them to go down to $3.27/w? For me, they wouldn't put the specific equipment in the contract (which makes me uncomfortable) and verbally said they were using a Delta inverter with power optimizers, but did you have to ask for the SolarEdge inverter?

I have signed up for energysage and the lowest quote i have received is for $3.45 per watt. Do you know what company was able to give you a quote for $3.00 per watt in New Jersey?

I'm currently waiting for them to update the proposal a bit plus have a few remaining questions before I sign a contract. How did you get them to go down to $3.27/w? For me, they wouldn't put the specific equipment in the contract (which makes me uncomfortable) and verbally said they were using a Delta inverter with power optimizers, but did you have to ask for the SolarEdge inverter?

I was able to get a quote for $3.00 per watt from this company called Kopp Electric. This was using Trina panels and Solar Edge inverters. I pretty much told them what my target price was and to send me a quote with the equipment details, price, etc. for review. I then sent it to my Tesla rep with hope he'd be able to price match it, but they caught on that the quote had Trina panels so they met me in the middle at $3.27. I had also requested that the inverter they use was SolarEdge because that's what all their competitors were offering and more or less told them that anything other than SolarEdge (like Delta that they tried pushing on me first) would have been a deal breaker. Even after getting me down to $3.27 they tried one last time to get me to agree to Delta. So just be sure you continue to remind them and ask them that the inverter being used is indeed SolarEdge.

The actual contract you sign with Tesla won't list out the equipment. However...the sales rep that I was working with was very transparent in the whole process and send me the final equipment system details page that has in writing the exact equipment being used. In one of the sections, it will list out the exact model numbers of the mounting system, solar panels, and inverter(s) being used.

bKSIwoe.png

Happy to send you the contact info of the guy I used. He's based out in Cherry Hill and to be honest, was very great to work with. I still talk to him from time to time even post installation. Also helped that by pure coincidence, he went to the same high school as me (graduated a year later) and we shared the same circle of friends haha.

One thing that I did learn was that apparently Tesla will only price match once. If you want them to price match again after their initial match, they apparently need to have it escalated for approval which is what had to happen with mine. All worked out in the end.

I have signed up for energysage and the lowest quote i have received is for $3.45 per watt. Do you know what company was able to give you a quote for $3.00 per watt in New Jersey?

Yep! I got the $3 quote form Kopp Electric. If you want the contact info of the Tesla rep I used, I'll send you his contact info. He's based out in Cherry Hill and was fantastic to work with. Very transparent with the whole process and kept me updated the entire way.

**EDIT**
Here's another page from their "System Details" doc they sent me. To be honest, I don't think they normally (maybe they're not even supposed to? lol) send this out to people.

sjDgITX.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I was able to get a quote for $3.00 per watt from this company called Kopp Electric. This was using Trina panels and Solar Edge inverters. I pretty much told them what my target price was and to send me a quote with the equipment details, price, etc. for review. I then sent it to my Tesla rep with hope he'd be able to price match it, but they caught on that the quote had Trina panels so they met me in the middle at $3.27. I had also requested that the inverter they use was SolarEdge because that's what all their competitors were offering and more or less told them that anything other than SolarEdge (like Delta that they tried pushing on me first) would have been a deal breaker. Even after getting me down to $3.27 they tried one last time to get me to agree to Delta. So just be sure you continue to remind them and ask them that the inverter being used is indeed SolarEdge.

The actual contract you sign with Tesla won't list out the equipment. However...the sales rep that I was working with was very transparent in the whole process and send me the final equipment system details page that has in writing the exact equipment being used. In one of the sections, it will list out the exact model numbers of the mounting system, solar panels, and inverter(s) being used.

Happy to send you the contact info of the guy I used. He's based out in Cherry Hill and to be honest, was very great to work with. I still talk to him from time to time even post installation. Also helped that by pure coincidence, he went to the same high school as me (graduated a year later) and we shared the same circle of friends haha.

One thing that I did learn was that apparently Tesla will only price match once. If you want them to price match again after their initial match, they apparently need to have it escalated for approval which is what had to happen with mine. All worked out in the end.

Wow, super helpful info! It sounds like I may be SOL for trying to get a lower price per watt considering I've already signed the Energy Products Order Agreement based on the quote (but not the Final Purchase Agreement yet). I'm still waiting for some last minute questions to get answered so I'm debating whether it's worth it to get another quote for something similar to see if I could talk them down again. I'm just really wanting to get an inverter that can allow me to download the generation data (like SolarEdge) so I can apply it to various spreadsheets tracking the year and cost to date for net metering at a more granular level than SCE likely provides.

I've gotten quotes below $3/W off EnergySage, but for arrays that would never fit on my roof and from companies hundreds of miles away that when googled showed me a farm in NY or NJ. OK for getting a quote, but make sure you vet these installers before taking their bids seriously for install.