Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why add more functions to the settings that are unnecessary? You even said it yourself that you didn't know you can place on hold in reverse. The hold function is an additional step that is required to put the car in hold, it doesn't automatically put the car in hold.

If you don't have a need to place the car in hold in reverse, don't do it. There are already enough options on the settings menu, I don't need more options for a function that already needs to be actively engaged.

Yes, as I wrote, I don't ever put the car in hold in reverse and haven't come across a time where I've needed to put it in hold in reverse. Or any other car I've driven before this one for that matter. And because of that, I'm trying find out when this action would be used. @hacer provided an example where it can be helpful, which sheds some light on things. The option to disable hold in reverse might help someone like OP who keeps having problems figuring out what gear he's in. A car like this is infinitely customizable and in the future there are going to be options for things that you want and options for things that you don't want. That's the beauty of it. Just because some people have no use for certain things doesn't mean they shouldn't implement them.

Yes, as I wrote, I don't ever put the car in hold in reverse and haven't come across a time where I've needed to put it in hold in reverse. Or any other car I've driven before this one for that matter. And because of that, I'm trying find out when this action would be used. @hacer provided an example where it can be helpful, which sheds some light on things. The option to disable hold in reverse might help someone like OP who keeps having problems figuring out what gear he's in. A car like this is infinitely customizable and in the future there are going to be options for things that you want and options for things that you don't want. That's the beauty of it. Just because some people have no use for certain things doesn't mean they shouldn't implement them.

The problem I have is that just because the settings are infinitely customizable, I don't need an infinite amounts of settings on the screen. Any items that need additional steps to set/use doesn't need a setting to turn off. It's like saying I don't like using the windshield washers so there should be a setting to turn those off. If I don't want to use the washers, I don't press the button; it doesn't need a separate setting to turn them off.

I have the same issue with Tesla having a setting for Autosteer on the menu. It is unnecessary to have it as you need to physically engage. The only reason it is in the settings is because the lawyers won that battle.

The problem I have is that just because the settings are infinitely customizable, I don't need an infinite amounts of settings on the screen. Any items that need additional steps to set/use doesn't need a setting to turn off. It's like saying I don't like using the windshield washers so there should be a setting to turn those off. If I don't want to use the washers, I don't press the button; it doesn't need a separate setting to turn them off.

I have the same issue with Tesla having a setting for Autosteer on the menu. It is unnecessary to have it as you need to physically engage. The only reason it is in the settings is because the lawyers won that battle.

This is where we differ and will just have to disagree. Having more things to customize is my preference, just as fewer settings is yours. Neither opinion is right or wrong, which is why it's great that we're not locked into conventional buttons and have a UI that can elove. If someone has no use for the wipers (or any other non-vital function), then I say there should be a way toggle them off somewhere in the settings. The base UI becomes less cluttered. The screen real estate could go to something that the user deems more important and the stalk controls could be freed to do something completely different to improve the overall function of the car for that person. Instead of Tesla telling us how we should interact with our cars, we can improve the experience for ourselves. (I'm not advocating getting rid of the wipers, I'm just running with your analogy to provide an example how additional settings could be utilized.)

An easy compromise would be a basic versus advanced settings mode where none of the additional options would be viewable unless you specifically enable it.

Reactions: TT97
This is where we differ and will just have to disagree. Having more things to customize is my preference, just as fewer settings is yours. Neither opinion is right or wrong, which is why it's great that we're not locked into conventional buttons and have a UI that can elove. If someone has no use for the wipers (or any other non-vital function), then I say there should be a way toggle them off somewhere in the settings. The base UI becomes less cluttered. The screen real estate could go to something that the user deems more important and the stalk controls could be freed to do something completely different to improve the overall function of the car for that person. Instead of Tesla telling us how we should interact with our cars, we can improve the experience for ourselves. (I'm not advocating getting rid of the wipers, I'm just running with your analogy to provide an example how additional settings could be utilized.)

An easy compromise would be a basic versus advanced settings mode where none of the additional options would be viewable unless you specifically enable it.

Fair enough (windshield wipers are useless in SoCal 350 days out of the year and why would you want to go out on those other 15 days. :) )

Reactions: SDKoala
All I'm saying at this point, thank you. Pretty simple. Nothing to do with age... as if younger people never make mistakes. LOL.

Sorry, but why does age keep getting brought up? I just re-read the thread to see if I missed anything. The first mention of age was out of the blue by this post: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2813217/, then again in this post: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2813911/, and now your post. Unless something has been deleted, I don't see anyone accusing older drivers of anything. (And I'd hardly call people in their 50s "older.")

I don't know anymore, maybe I'm just too old for this... (Joking of course!)

Tesla: Just keep the D when holding, although I doubt that would change much. And if I had my dream UI, it would sense my foot getting near the pedal while in "gear" and give me cool feedback somehow (wheel/screen/sound, whatever). Just thinking failsafe, in case... 1/10,000 forgot to do what everyone here thinks is so impossible.

I still like no-creep, but boy do I ever think twice before pressing the pedal now and I'm putting a sign in the garage "Press Park." Maybe this is all from something I drove in the past. I'm still grabbing for the console shifter! Furthermore, my '63 Buick's Reverse is Far Right, so maybe that's it regarding the F/R switched? And now I just lost my case in advance after I plow through my house, thinking I needed to squirt fuel in the carbs.

I don't know anymore, maybe I'm just too old for this... (Joking of course!)

Tesla: Just keep the D when holding, although I doubt that would change much. And if I had my dream UI, it would sense my foot getting near the pedal while in "gear" and give me cool feedback somehow (wheel/screen/sound, whatever). Just thinking failsafe, in case... 1/10,000 forgot to do what everyone here thinks is so impossible.

I still like no-creep, but boy do I ever think twice before pressing the pedal now and I'm putting a sign in the garage "Press Park." Maybe this is all from something I drove in the past. I'm still grabbing for the console shifter! Furthermore, my '63 Buick's Reverse is Far Right, so maybe that's it regarding the F/R switched? And now I just lost my case in advance after I plow through my house, thinking I needed to squirt fuel in the carbs.

Habits take time to break and to form. I still grab for the non-existent shifter and door pull even after 4K miles in the car over the past 10 weeks. Every time I get out of the car I have consciously do a mental check because it always seems like I'm forgetting something.

Reactions: SOULPEDL