Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

R.I.P. Tesla Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There goes my $62.50 worth of electricity per referral, on some of the highest electricity rates in the country.

Now, if it were the olden days when ten referrals got you a new car, I'd lament.
Was a shame. I had a feeling it was going away. When I ordered a MY lease in March, they said i could apply referral at delivery. Then when my parents got their MY in August, they told them they had to apply the referral when they ordered the car. Whether miscommunication or a downward trajectory for referral bonuses, I figured it was going away soon.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and Hank42
The lack of information on CURRENT referrals is frustrating. I have a new car arriving next Friday. My own referral on it. 2000 miles of free supercharging is a big deal now because of how expensive supercharger rates are.

If you think they're expensive now, just wait until the demand goes way up once they're open to all EVs.

I really don't think we're ready for it. Even places like Oxford, which have about 12 supercharger stalls, can be completely full at peak times. You don't have to wait long to get a space, but imagine an Ipace, e-tron or another slow-charging premium EV hogging one.

I'm ok with non-Teslas using the stalls as long as they pay more (there's got to be incentives to get a Tesla, preferential rates etc, just like Ionity give preferential rates to Porsche), and get charged the same idle fees as the rest of us.

I'm really hoping I get the 2k miles given that they were applied to the car before the program ended. Paying 37p per kWh is more than a lot of third-party chargers (though not as high as Ionity), and not every Tesla driver is a millionaire... it's making road trips look very expensive...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank42
I really don't think we're ready for it. Even places like Oxford, which have about 12 supercharger stalls, can be completely full at peak times. You don't have to wait long to get a space, but imagine an iPace or a Taycan or another slow-charging premium EV hogging one.

I'm ok with non-Teslas using the stalls as long as they pay more (there's got to be incentives to get a Tesla, preferential rates etc, just like Ionity give preferential rates to Porsche), and get charged the same idle fees as the rest of us.

I'm really hoping I get the 2k miles given that they were applied to the car before the program ended. Paying 37p per kWh is more than a lot of third-party chargers (though not as high as Ionity), and not every Tesla driver is a millionaire... it's making road trips look very expensive...
Push your government to invest in to renewable energy to lower electricity cost.

If you think they're expensive now, just wait until the demand goes way up once they're open to all EVs.
I don't see that, reading between the lines as I listened to the last earnings call. Rates are likely to remain at current levels or go down for Tesla owners, is the way I interpreted what Elon said. It's the "other" EV's that will have to 'pay to play' on our Supercharging network. The other car manufacturers are supposed to 'pay their share for building out the network, maintenance and adaptor facilitation'. While this could mean pure profit for Tesla, I doubt they will double dip on both the OEM's and owners. That isn't the way Elon operates.

This is an except from the call below:

15:07 PT: A question about Tesla’s plan to open the Supercharger Network to other EVs was brought up. Elon Musk notes that the process would be simple and app-based for non-Tesla owners. He did state that there will be a time constraint. “The biggest constraint to Superchargers is time,” Musk said, adding that there are times when charging stations are packed and other times when they are empty. “Tesla will also be smarter in terms of how it charges for electricity,” Musk added, noting that Tesla will use time-based pricing for non-Tesla EVs.

I feel bad for all those utubers that exploited the program…. Noot
They actually get the least value out of the referrals, Tesla had introduced a cap on how far forward they rolled to about the end of 2023, so earn 200k miles and you've a lot of serious driving to do in the next 2 years to use them. When they were getting free roadsters (or the promise of one) I'd agree with you, but not for the last few years

The youtubers are however Teslas unofficial marketing department so I think they're probably the ones Tesla do want to support.

(And I'm not a youtuber in case you wondered)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
They actually get the least value out of the referrals, Tesla had introduced a cap on how far forward they rolled to about the end of 2023, so earn 200k miles and you've a lot of serious driving to do in the next 2 years to use them. When they were getting free roadsters (or the promise of one) I'd agree with you, but not for the last few years

The youtubers are however Teslas unofficial marketing department so I think they're probably the ones Tesla do want to support.

(And I'm not a youtuber in case you wondered)

Also not a YouTuber, but some like Bjorn Nyland have earned their rewards through how much they've educated people about Teslas and EVs in general. And Bjorn is now encouraging people to use other referral links because he doesn't need the free supercharging.

Reactions: DblOSmith