Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

R.I.P. Tesla Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good riddance.
That was abused in a huge way.

I’d be surprised if more than 10% of referrals were actually a new customer.
For people that actually introduce someone to how great Teslas are, great. But for the people doling out referral links so people, that were already planning to buy, could get free stuff?

The lack of information on CURRENT referrals is frustrating. I have a new car arriving next Friday. My own referral on it. 2000 miles of free supercharging is a big deal now because of how expensive supercharger rates are.
Don’t expect 2,000 anyway. It has been confirmed a while ago they don’t let you double dip with your own code. They would only give 1,000. Not sure with the program ending if you may still possibly get the 1,000 though.

Question: I ordered a car on 8.30, taking delivery this week. Will the promo code I used still be applied even though the purchase and order was created using the promo and the promo was granted at the time I ordered the car? Is this for new orders, or deliveries?

Here in CA, a modern natural gas fired generator charges ~$0.03/kWh for electricity to the grid, while the CPUC allows the solar farms to charge $.24-.30/kWh.
Natural gas is one of the cleanest, cheapest, and most abundant forms of energy we have. We should be transitioning to nat gas until the other renewables can compete. The infrastructure is there, just do it. The word "fracking" has been the only reason people don't like nat gas and most don't even understand we have been fracking for a long time before movies and media got a hold of the term to scare you all. A green transition is necessary, but if you think we can just jump to solar and wind at a reasonable price, well, I want to know what strain you are buying at your local dispensary.

That's incorrect. Natural gas RIGHT NOW is as bad for climate change as coal. This is due to methane leaks from pipelines and oil wells. Methane is about 30 _times_ more powerful than CO2.
As someone who has studied this his entire life Im not going to bother arguing with you, its pointless and I dont have the time. Just wait until you see what it takes to build solar panels and what that does to the environment. The fact that you think methane flares/leaks are as bad as coal tells me everything. Have a nice week and enjoy your Tesla.

Question: I ordered a car on 8.30, taking delivery this week. Will the promo code I used still be applied even though the purchase and order was created using the promo and the promo was granted at the time I ordered the car? Is this for new orders, or deliveries?

Don't know for sure, but my parents got miles from a referral that was delivered after the program end. I am guessing they are going by order date rather than delivery date.

I would never refer anyone to buy a Tesla after what they have done to owners of 85 kWh batteries—halving of Supercharging speed to keep the batteries from catching fire—and not issuing a recall. Tesla does not do right by its customers, especially early adopters, and uses software cover-ups to push potential failures beyond the warranty coverage period.

I am seriously afraid for all of the M3/Y owners once their warranties expire. When Tesla charges them $15,000 to replace the battery in their (market value) $30,000 car, it's going to sting. A lot. Battery failures are not covered by insurance or any aftermarket warranty extension program. Hasn't anyone wondered why Tesla no longer offers extended warranties on its products? They are a pure money-maker for all other vehicle makers. I think it's quite telling that Tesla cannot make a profit on an extended warranty.

When Tesla reduces M3/Y supercharging speed without warning—under the guise of "extending the life of your battery"—please return to this thread for historical reference. Tesla breaks its promises to customers all the time and I'm done. Tesla is not the company you think it is, and Elon Musk is not the person you think him to be.

Last edited:
As someone who has studied this his entire life Im not going to bother arguing with you, its pointless and I dont have the time. Just wait until you see what it takes to build solar panels and what that does to the environment. The fact that you think methane flares/leaks are as bad as coal tells me everything. Have a nice week and enjoy your Tesla.
If you actually studied the matter then you'd know that methane emissions from oil mining and leaks right now are not tracked AT ALL.

Reactions: sdoorex
I would never refer anyone to buy a Tesla after what they have done to owners of 85 kWh batteries—halving of Supercharging speed to keep the batteries from catching fire—and not issuing a recall. Tesla does not do right by its customers, especially early adopters, and uses software cover-ups to push potential failures beyond the warranty coverage period.

I am seriously afraid for all of the M3/Y owners once their warranties expire. When Tesla charges them $15,000 to replace the battery in their (market value) $30,000 car, it's going to sting. A lot. Battery failures are not covered by insurance or any aftermarket warranty extension program. Hasn't anyone wondered why Tesla no longer offers extended warranties on its products? They are a pure money-maker for all other vehicle makers. I think it's quite telling that Tesla cannot make a profit on an extended warranty.

When Tesla reduces M3/Y supercharging speed without warning—under the guise of "extending the life of your battery"—please return to this thread for historical reference. Tesla breaks its promises to customers all the time and I'm done. Tesla is not the company you think it is, and Elon Musk is not the person you think him to be.
At least Tesla admitted fault by agreeing to settle and pay each of those owners $625. Hopefully Tesla learned their lesson and will communicate better in the future, because I'm sure a 2nd time will be costlier.

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude
Good riddance...
For people that actually introduce someone to how great Teslas are, great. But for the people doling out referral links so people, that were already planning to buy, could get free stuff?
Haha, that's how it played out for us.

We missed out on self referral by a few hours when put in an order Sunday for a Model Y. Anticipate if waited much longer, though, more price hikes coming as Federal incentives become more of a sure thing. This will replace wife’s Leaf coming off lease in June, though estimated delivery time is in March, I confirmed with Tesla that they can delay our delivery up to 6 months if needed once they are ready to execute on their end.

On the other hand, perhaps we had a hand in my sister ordering a Model 3 a few weeks ago, so will get referral supercharging credit for that.

Reactions: Zythryn
Well we picked up our new Model 3 yesterday in KC, and don't even have the 1000 miles of free supercharging as was quoted. I'm upset.....
As a side note to this post, we went on a trip to Kentucky 544 miles each way. Without the 1000 miles of charger the total bill came to $98.95 for just under 1500 miles. Still cheaper than gas. Especially in my old F150

Reality of Renewables - especially solar being the lowest cost electricity in the land:
1. no one should pay a premium for it!
2. Wholesale electricity cost about 3-3.5 cents/kwh with no societal price of carbon attached
3. Transmission is .5 - .75 cents
4. Distribution runs with a wilder range as the local utilities can lump a ton into this category and get rates adjusted for those CapEx's - 2.5 cents to 5 cents.
5. Fixed charges rising are the biggest economic factor driving battery/storage transitions/economics.
6. Working on putting off grid 12MW solar fields next to 1/2 Texas size EV only Buckey's charging stations on the Highway that will sell at 12 - 18 cents !!!

Don't know for sure, but my parents got miles from a referral that was delivered after the program end. I am guessing they are going by order date rather than delivery date.
Looks like Tesla is still honoring people who submitted a referral code prior to the program expiring. I just received another 1,000 miles from someone who had their car delivered on Oct. 9th. I still have 1 more outstanding referral; I hope he doesn't change his mind and still wants his Tesla!

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: MontyFloyd