Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[R+T] Electric Torque Is No Replacement for a High-Revving Engine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh,
now that would be an interesting twist to the L upgrade.

Makes sense, actually. My OpenEVSE keeps frying at the relay junction. Wires fat enough for 1500 amps, might retard the over-heat of 85kwh that much better.

I'll probably be happy never taking the P85D to the track, but I get depressed being shut down when the wheel isn't straight. That is something you don't have to go to the track, to experience, but here's more R&T commentary to back it up:
Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D

Since Tesla is calling a bumper and an air filter the "Model S Refresh", I guess all my money is on WK057, or lola, to develop something cheap, that access "TC Off".

Feelin' a little whiney, tonight. I need a Snickers.

Reactions: Red Sage
Jun 22, 2015
Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D
The reality is that people don't go lapping in $130,000, futuristic luxury sedans
Incorrect, since mid-2013. (Well, technically I didn't pay $130k.) They should have done more research before making such claims.

I'll probably be happy never taking the P85D to the track, but I get depressed being shut down when the wheel isn't straight.
Elaborate on the second half of that sentence? Thanks.

As a Honda guy, I have to say it: "VTEC just kicked in, yo!"

Honda K20Z3, smooooooooth as butter, precise as a sewing machine past 8000RPM. This is an engine that can be bounced off the rev limiter as much as you want, and it won't wear out before the rest of the car does.

Civic Si FG2/FA5. Not a fast car by any stretch of the imagination, but one that takes skill to drive to its full potential.

3 mins, 3 and 1/2 mins or 4 mins, not a big difference.
the fact is there are simply not enough cooling. even modern ICE cars go limp, let alone an EV car with close to 0 cooling capabilities.

how about your bike vs a Saleen supercooled Tesla Model S. I know which I'd rather use on a track.

oh and, ever heard of Electric GT racing? They've got FIA's blessing to use tuned Model S cars.

keep dreaming, and don't stop taking what the doctor ordered
01_bmw_m4_gts.jpg

I liked you better when you were banned.

Signed, someone with a real track car (ie, no little M3).

01_bmw_m4_gts.jpg
Good for you! You figured out how to post stock photos that you found on bmw.com of an M4 at a track! We're all so proud of you and your internet savvy. Now what was the point, again?

Since we're posting random other people's cars, here's one of Michael Schumacher's Ferraris:
Michael_Schumacher_Ferrari_2004.jpg

Does this post make me cool like you?

01_bmw_m4_gts.jpg

Good for you! You figured out how to post stock photos that you found on bmw.com of an M4 at a track! We're all so proud of you and your internet savvy. Now what was the point, again?

OMG!!!!

So here I'm thinking, "Hey, I really don't like this guy, but he has a HOT car!" and I'm a bit envious while at the same time hating myself for admitting that. But then it turns out that this isn't even his car???!!!

Sorry, BMW ///M3, you just made yourself look like a complete..... Nevermind, I don't want to get sent to snippiness. Let's just say you didn't do yourself any favors. In fact, you did your argument more harm than good. At least when lolachampcar talks about having a REAL track car, we all know he's not just talking smack because he has actual proof.

Talking about what an amazing track car you have, then posting somebody else's car... You should just go bury your head in shame now and voluntarily ban yourself from the forums. That smidgen of respect you almost earned yourself from me is gone, gone, gone.

This thread has been pretty fun. It was a good excuse for me to talk about cars I like, namely Honda Civics. The 8th Generation Civic Si in particular is beloved in the Honda community because its 4-cylinder is a gem of an engine and goes to 8k RPM. Anyone who wanted some of the high-revving fun of the Honda S2000 roadster, but preferred the safety and practicality of a Civic, could get that in the Si for substantially less money than the Sk2. The low torque of the Si's K20Z3 engine, and the standard helical limited-slip differential mitigated torque steer and handling issues from the FWD powertrain layout.

The picture I posted above in Post #70 (the blue Civic Si sedan on jack stands with its nose on the ground) was a rare "Mugen" edition of the Honda Civic Si. Honda made only 1000 of these for the U.S. market. They had special Mugen badges, Mugen shift knob, Mugen alloy wheels, tuned suspension, and different exhaust than standard Civic Sis. And a big wing spoiler. Unfortunately, this made the Mugen Si a big target for thieves, who wanted the custom parts rather than the car itself.

The Mugen in the photo was parked on an open dealer lot when it was ransacked for badges, rims, and shift knob in 2008. A real shame, but kind of darkly funny in an idiotic way if captioned with the "VTEC kicked in yo", since the car clearly isn't going anywhere.

what ever potato wrote that article doesnt seem to understand that the tesla is not at all motor constrained, tesla even said the rear motor can handle 500kW with no problems, its the battery and inverter that cant keep up.

BTW 500kW is 670HP, the rear motor can rev past 16,000 RPM if properly supported.