Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Race Seats and Roll Bar in my Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m confused why they went with a 4-point harness instead of a 5-point harness. It seems like in an accident you can hurt yourself pretty bad in those seats with no side air bag, no helmet (and strange whip lash dynamics without helmet), and getting sucked down where the 5th strap would be (
). I read that some driving instructors won’t get into cars with 4-point harnesses.

Also daily driving neck rubbing from the harnesses would be a pain, in addition to a swampy back and butt (
). I was considering buying these, but I’m going to play “wait-and-see” to get people’s opinions. I would get only a driver seat so that I could sit in the passenger seat and recline at the supercharger.

Are there any good spots for the harnesses without the cage? The cage weighs a lot, and It’s unclear if *this particular* cage actually improves safety versus a full custom cage. Daerik used alternate mount points with his harness for example. Just eyeing this cage, it looks like you’ll still get squished in a rollover.

Let us know what you think after a few months!

Last edited:
Legit Track setup! I'm not a track rat, I only want a single drivers seat that holds me in place on the mountain twisties...how do the seats deal with the OEM sensors?
The unplugged kit comes with emulators that correct the sensor errors. It's a plug in and play feature. I'm not an expert with the details of these emulators so I would contact unplugged for more information.

Did you have to remove the battery to put plates on the underside of the car where the feet of the cage attach to the floor

No, The initial install is pretty easy actually. You pull some of the carpet and door trim for access to the frame. Then you can install the L brackets. It took me about 2hrs to install. after that, it takes less than 10mins to bolt in / bolt out.

Attachments

• Fromwhereicharge2.jpg
    Fromwhereicharge2.jpg
    975.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Fromwhereicharge1.jpg
    Fromwhereicharge1.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Fromwhereicharge3.JPG
    Fromwhereicharge3.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 80
I’m confused why they went with a 4-point harness instead of a 5-point harness. It seems like in an accident you can hurt yourself pretty bad in those seats with no side air bag, no helmet (and strange whip lash dynamics without helmet), and getting sucked down where the 5th strap would be (
). I read that some driving instructors won’t get into cars with 4-point harnesses.

Also daily driving neck rubbing from the harnesses would be a pain, in addition to a swampy back and butt (
). I was considering buying these, but I’m going to play “wait-and-see” to get people’s opinions. I would get only a driver seat so that I could sit in the passenger seat and recline at the supercharger.

Are there any good spots for the harnesses without the cage? The cage weighs a lot, and It’s unclear if *this particular* cage actually improves safety versus a full custom cage. Daerik used alternate mount points with his harness for example. Just eyeing this cage, it looks like you’ll still get squished in a rollover.

Let us know what you think after a few months!

A 4-point is still safe so long as it's set up correctly. But yes, a 5-point is safer. Unplugged's 4-point can be upgraded to 5-point if desired.

I can't really speak on behalf of using this setup as a daily driver. My primary use of this is for tracking.

DAerik used the child seat mount points in the back. I can't comment on how safe those mounts are to use for your harness but I do believe the half cage bar system is much safer and stronger.

Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
A 4 point like this is less a safety mod and more a speed mod. By holding you laterally in the seat better you focus on driving not bracing to stay in in place.

Far as a rollbar, removable no is awesome since daily driving it is like having a baseball bat next to your head. They really should only be used with a helmet and helmets are specific to car or motorcycle.

One of the reasons i stopped playing with my old street/strip car was I was hundredth of a second off needing a rollbar. I liked the researching and modifying then seeing the results. Rollbar was a bridge I wasn't ready to cross. Removable would have changed that.

• Informative
Reactions: 4hs93lsi2