Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RACE vs TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hogfighter

Professional Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Florida
One of the most difficult endeavors regarding TSLA is figuring a proper valuation. Comparisons to F and GM are largely meaningless, as they are completely different companies.

I prefer to compare TSLA to RACE. RACE has a market cap of $22B, revenues of approximately $3.5B....giving them a price/revenue of 6. Annual profit of around $600M giving them a p/e in the neighborhood of 35. Growth is slight, but they are in a niche market and have no ability to significantly grow market share.

Extrapolating the Q3 numbers, TSLA’s market cap of $56B gives them an annualized price/revenue of 2. Their p/e is in the neighborhood of 25 (more difficult to extrapolate, but using non-GAAP net income of $500M). TSLA made close to RACE’s annual profit in a single quarter, even with the inefficiencies inherent in massive growth rates. Growth has been eye-watering and is showing no signs of slowing down. We haven’t even touched on the potential of Tesla Energy.

So the comparisons reveal a growth company valued less in both price/revenue and p/e than a stalwart. This is being completely overlooked by the market.

One of the most difficult endeavors regarding TSLA is figuring a proper valuation. Comparisons to F and GM are largely meaningless, as they are completely different companies.

I prefer to compare TSLA to RACE. RACE has a market cap of $22B, revenues of approximately $3.5B....giving them a price/revenue of 6. Annual profit of around $600M giving them a p/e in the neighborhood of 35. Growth is slight, but they are in a niche market and have no ability to significantly grow market share.

Extrapolating the Q3 numbers, TSLA’s market cap of $56B gives them an annualized price/revenue of 2. Their p/e is in the neighborhood of 25 (more difficult to extrapolate, but using non-GAAP net income of $500M). TSLA made close to RACE’s annual profit in a single quarter, even with the inefficiencies inherent in massive growth rates. Growth has been eye-watering and is showing no signs of slowing down. We haven’t even touched on the potential of Tesla Energy.

So the comparisons reveal a growth company valued less in both price/revenue and p/e than a stalwart. This is being completely overlooked by the market.

Pretty good comparison. I think as the market begins to understand this further and Tesla continues to post quarterly profits, it will become a story that will be tough to slow down.

You're assuming that Tesla will show a profit next quarter, which I think is far from given.

Regardless Ferrari is a bad long term play, they are milking their existing customer base and cashing in on their exclusivity at the expensive of future earnings.