Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racechip Range Extender??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Black magic? Quackery?

If you read what it says it does, it increases the regen amount recovered and "makes the pedal more linear" (translation, need more pedal push for the same acceleration).

I certainly would not want something messsing with the amount of regen that is programed by tesla. There is "less than zero" chance that tesla wouldnt know something had been done, if there were an issue.

Just press the go pedal lighter.

Reactions: HeyEph and 2101Guy
Sounds like the reverse of acceleration boost throttle response in that it remaps throttle to be heavier? What’s the fun in that?? Lol

Extra regen…hmm…theory is sound for extending range. Especially if it can result in full regen even in colder temps.

But 48 extra range? 48 what? Miles?km? Meters? Minutes? Lol. Doesn’t specify.

Reactions: HeyEph and israndy
Racechip has been around for awhile. German company and is a SEMA sponsor.. so they have a good reputation as a tuner.. not the best but good. If you go to their website for this product. It states +22km. So don't know where they are getting the 48_ from.

Reactions: z355is
That's likely in stop and go traffic compared to interstate highway driving (you're not going to regen much at a steady 70 mph). I honestly would just fine a way to get an extra 30 minutes on a L2 charger once a week or something if you need. That will get you the same or more range.

As said before, switch to chill mode if you want to try and roll off the line saving as much power as possible.

You're not going to be able to regen more in extreme cold or when you have a full battery because that's designed to protect the battery and battery system. Tesla would be happy to have strong regen all the time, they don't because they don't want to damage stuff, it's not to punish you for living somewhere that it's cold...

That's likely in stop and go traffic compared to interstate highway driving (you're not going to regen much at a steady 70 mph). I honestly would just fine a way to get an extra 30 minutes on a L2 charger once a week or something if you need. That will get you the same or more range.
Not even that. How hard you accelerate has very little effect on range. Top speed and number of accel/regen cycles are the main drivers of electrical efficiency. The only way this makes a significant difference is if it increases regen and thus reduces the use of the friction brake. Which (A) as noted elsewhere is highly unlikely if it only connects to the pedal input, and (B) if you're using the brake pedal that much the only real fix is to learn to pay attention more than 50 feet ahead of you while driving, you idiot.

As said before, switch to chill mode if you want to try and roll off the line saving as much power as possible.

You're not going to be able to regen more in extreme cold or when you have a full battery because that's designed to protect the battery and battery system. Tesla would be happy to have strong regen all the time, they don't because they don't want to damage stuff, it's not to punish you for living somewhere that it's cold...
And yeah, all this too. If you're the kind of person who loves to blast out of intersections with maximum acceleration, remapping the pedal will just make you push it further anyway.

I call BS on this whole thing.

Same thing that I had on my old Honda Civic SI when I was in high school. I bought off of eBay for $15 and it added 100hp instantly =P LOL

Seriously, instead of looking for more range with this kind of BS, exercise and loose weight and this will give you real range benefit.