Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racing Brake XT910 Brake Pad Upgrade For M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well here goes my first ever post, so go easy on me 😅. I just swapped out the stock P3D pads for the Racing Brake XT910 pads, and I cant believe I didn't do it sooner. Living in Ontario, Canada, one of my worries was how they would perform in the cold weather, but so far there are no downsides I'm seeing; its all positive. The initial bite is much better, and the remaining pedal feel is very linear, which gives me a LOT more confidence than the stock pads. In terms of noise, there's a very minor increase in "screeching" but only at crawling speeds when the car/brakes are ice cold and its not driven (keep in mind its well below freezing with snow here currently). After 1-2 light brakings, any noise is completely gone. I have a feeling that during the spring/summer/fall, there wont be any noise. In terms of brake dust, I haven't noticed any drastic change so far which is also a big plus.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this upgrade, and hope to pair it with some stainless steel lines, brake fluids, and new rotors in the spring. Thanks for reading!

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and dfwatt
I want to know how it compares to Endless EX90 (mx72 asia market).

I'm running endless with motul 660 fluids + MPP stainless lines on my P3D front and rear calipers and it feels quite underwhelming. Not nearly the bite I was hoping to achieve. Not to mention brake dust level is higher than what I remember from Endless pads (used them on my BMW M3, Model S and Model X prior).

There is a pretty long thread here about racing brake xt910 vs xt970.

Well here goes my first ever post, so go easy on me 😅. I just swapped out the stock P3D pads for the Racing Brake XT910 pads, and I cant believe I didn't do it sooner. Living in Ontario, Canada, one of my worries was how they would perform in the cold weather, but so far there are no downsides I'm seeing; its all positive. The initial bite is much better, and the remaining pedal feel is very linear, which gives me a LOT more confidence than the stock pads. In terms of noise, there's a very minor increase in "screeching" but only at crawling speeds when the car/brakes are ice cold and its not driven (keep in mind its well below freezing with snow here currently). After 1-2 light brakings, any noise is completely gone. I have a feeling that during the spring/summer/fall, there wont be any noise. In terms of brake dust, I haven't noticed any drastic change so far which is also a big plus.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this upgrade, and hope to pair it with some stainless steel lines, brake fluids, and new rotors in the spring. Thanks for reading!
My opinion; get MPP or UP rotors. I bought a set of the RB rotors and pads and after barely a year of use the rotors were trashed. Horrible surging during medium to hard braking, had them turned at a machine shop and the metallurgy was showing strange splotches and the machinist said that's what happens when cheap/impure metals go through heavy heat cycles. I spent over $2k for the rotors and pads, and feel like I got about $100 of use out of them.

I appreciate your first post. New owner here too and feel that the brakes are not up to the task of the speed. Intend to do a rotor/pad/brake line/RBF600 change when I get back from work abroad in Apri. Looking at UP street/track pads and the rest from MPP. Not looking to have the car equal my F12. Just get the brakes to match the AB power.

My opinion; get MPP or UP rotors. I bought a set of the RB rotors and pads and after barely a year of use the rotors were trashed. Horrible surging during medium to hard braking, had them turned at a machine shop and the metallurgy was showing strange splotches and the machinist said that's what happens when cheap/impure metals go through heavy heat cycles. I spent over $2k for the rotors and pads, and feel like I got about $100 of use out of them.
Thank you for this. I was debating with MPP or RB, but everything else on my car is MPP, so i was leaning towards that route. Good information to know, thanks for sharing!

I appreciate your first post. New owner here too and feel that the brakes are not up to the task of the speed. Intend to do a rotor/pad/brake line/RBF600 change when I get back from work abroad in Apri. Looking at UP street/track pads and the rest from MPP. Not looking to have the car equal my F12. Just get the brakes to match the AB power.
I heard some mixed things about the UP pads. But everything else sounds about right. I would look at the 660 rather than the 600 since its rated slightly higher for temps. Thanks for the feedback!

I heard some mixed things about the UP pads. But everything else sounds about right. I would look at the 660 rather than the 600 since its rated slightly higher for temps. Thanks for the feedback!
I have two new/unopened bottles of RBF600 hence using the lower temp stuff. lol Thanks for the words on the UP pads. Any reviews of the 1521 pads from Carbotech? I know their XP series is highly regarded.

I'm actually just going to do the brake fluid and pads for now. I'm not going to track the car and I think a good set of pads and good fluid will sort me just fine.

I'm not going to track the car and I think a good set of pads and good fluid will sort me just fine.
I can't even imagine how you'd have to drive on the street to boil the stock fluid. I track the car and don't even run RBF600. Just put ATE TYP 200 in and be done with it if you aren't tracking.
What is it you don't like about the stock pads? They're very good, quiet, long lasting Brembo pads,

would look at the 660 rather than the 600 since its rated slightly higher for temps. Thanks for the feedback!
The tradeoff is a lower wet boiling point for the 660. Unless you replace fluid every year, the wet boiling is more important.

I have two new/unopened bottles of RBF600 hence using the lower temp stuff. lol Thanks for the words on the UP pads. Any reviews of the 1521 pads from Carbotech? I know their XP series is highly regarded.

I tried the 1521 in a different car once and they were a downgrade from that car's very good (for street use) stock pads. I wasn't impressed to be honest. If I recall correctly the 1521 were mild-mannered, quiet, not too dusty, and generally worked fine...but they just didn't bite like the best street pads. Whereas those OE pads, while very dusty, had excellent bite+feel+modulation.

I tried the 1521 because I was using the XP series for track days in that car, I think either XP10 or XP12, and those were absolutely fantastic for 25-30 minute HPDE sessions. Also friends using XP pads for wheel-to-wheel racing had good things to say too. So YES to highly regarding the the Carbotech XP series! But the 1521 street pads were not so amazing. There's worse street pads out there for sure, but there's also better ones.

If I had to guess - and this is a total guess - the 1521 would not feel like an upgrade from the M3P stock pads. At least not much of one, and maybe even a downgrade. Now compared to stock M3LR pads I'm not sure, the M3LR brakes felt worse than M3P, maybe the 1521 would feel like an upgrade for the M3LR. But probably there are better options.

I'm actually just going to do the brake fluid and pads for now. I'm not going to track the car and I think a good set of pads and good fluid will sort me just fine.
The general wisdom is to stick with DOT3 for pure street use. Generally speaking, the higher the boiling point, the quicker it will absorb water and effectively wear out. That's my understanding at least. That tradeoff is fine for a car seeing track time, where you're changing out the brake fluid regularly anyways, but it doesn't seem worthwhile for just street use. Especially a street-driven EV where you're hopefully doing most of your deceleration with regen!

Even when I was doing track days and using DOT4 with XP track pads, the cheap ATE Super Blue / TYP 200 was good enough for my driving. Of course that can vary highly by car, driver, track, brakes, brake ducting/cooling, etc. M3P is heavier and more powerful than that car was, it's capable of being more demanding on the brakes. But RBF600 and 660 sure seem like way overkill for street use even in a fast EV.

• Informative
Reactions: RS95
Want to give a Jan 2023 update in case anyone is still considering these pads.

I'm still currently using these pads but have ran into an issue, although not major, it might deter some people. The front axle pads started developing some pad chatter after 6 months in. Most of these aftermarket pads don't have the tight manufacturing tolerances as OEM pads. What's happened here is after minor vibrations, some of the pad bracket material has probably worn off (we're probably talking micrometers or 1 mm), causing the pads to essentially "float" around in the caliper. This causing some knocking/clicking sounds when going from Drive to Reverse and vice versa. Not a major issue but something to note. Mine hasn't gotten to the point that it clicks and rattles while driving unlike a friends Plaid which he had this issue using his Carbotech pads; the pads would rattle loudly at low speeds sounding like something is broken.

However, just a few weeks ago, out of nowhere, both my rear pads started developing very loud chatter. After inspecting the car, the pads were loose. Driving at low speeds the car rattles very loudly and from the outside sounds like something is broken. What I'm guessing happened is that, these pads in the rear come with a 3m adhesive to stick to the outside caliper rather than having the OEM clips like the OEM pads. I'm certain this glue came loose. Sometimes the noise comes and goes so I'm not to concerned. This should not cause any safety or performance issues.

I contacted Racing Brake and explained the situation along with sending them videos and they confirmed it was most likely the adhesive backing came loose causing the pads to "float" and rattle. However after asking them for suggestions or help on fixing the problem, they ghosted me. Not very good customer support imo.

One more thing to note is that I never seem to get very even pad contact when using these under normal breaking, compared to the results I see with other brands and builds. Under repeated hard braking they seem fine, but I'm not impressed with the light/normal breaking contact.

Overall for the price these pads are unbeatable. However, if your budget on pads isn't low, I'd probably consider other options in the future.