Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

racing(getting on a track) a model 3 standard plus stock tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I am really interested in getting into racing and was wondering if there was any track that allowed a beginner in a stock car to go on the track and race.(beginner 17 years old.) I know its definitely not the best idea in a stock car that isn't as fast as the rest of the lineup, but do you guys have any suggestions on how to begin. Any special events or open track days for beginners? Is it even possible to race this car or will the brakes fail?(grossly terrible brakes in my experience compared to other cars. will heat up to fast even with regen.) Any thoughts appreciated.

Two main types of events to google in your area - Autocross and HPDE. Autocross is a good starting point and is lower speed in a big parking lot with cones. HPDE is going on the track in groups of similar experience level people in their own cars and you can normally get an instructor for a fee with many organizations.

Lots of groups run these events in many different areas, they typically rent a track + arrange details and then sell tickets to people for $150-200 per car. You can also look at the event calendar for a race track and see what groups have rented it, then check out their websites for more info.

Stock car will be totally fine for a beginner, just don't try to go super fast on the first time out and have fun.

Edit: Oh wait are you in California? If so, definitely check out Tesla Corsa - they are the perfect event to learn at Tesla Corsa – The world's first Tesla-only track day experience!

• Informative
Reactions: mcbarnet007
Hi. I am really interested in getting into racing and was wondering if there was any track that allowed a beginner in a stock car to go on the track and race.(beginner 17 years old.) I know its definitely not the best idea in a stock car that isn't as fast as the rest of the lineup, but do you guys have any suggestions on how to begin. Any special events or open track days for beginners? Is it even possible to race this car or will the brakes fail?(grossly terrible brakes in my experience compared to other cars. will heat up to fast even with regen.) Any thoughts appreciated.

Check out SCCA, and browse Motorsports.reg for events near you. I'd look for a Beginner's day at autocross so you can be paired up with an instructor all day.
Also, +1 on the go kart recommendation. It's a much cheaper way to get the feel for a car in a safe environment.

Reactions: mcbarnet007
Most enthusiast car, porsche, bmw, audi, alfa, will allow other name cars to drive with them. Sometimes known as Driver School, these events will be part classroom, part driving. The good part is they separate you from the guys who know what they are doing and find novices less than interesting to follow. And you drive with an instructor, someone who the club believes has enough talent to be worthwhile to learn something from. Sometimes during a Track Day they will also have a novice group.
So you drive with a small group of fellow experienced drivers, everyone with an instructor for twenty minutes or so maybe three times in a day.
You can become quite dependant on the experience. Like all things a little sometimes isn't enough, leads to car modifications, aka credit car max outs, odd behavior like every corner on your daily drive is taken for the best apex, lane lines become mild suggestions...more car mods...

I've seen people show up with rental cars, (nothing special, family cars) and beat them around the track. A Tesla would be fun, but I tend to think once you have experience the need to brake hard and often would be
tough with a heavy car. The car has outstanding acceleration for a normal car and good brakes but you are asking a lot from those brakes on a track.
A fun car that might work is something like a mini cooper, maybe an earlier one?

from an ex trackie nut, with blown engines and ex-wives to prove it.

Reactions: MoreAgain