Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racism lawsuit will go ahead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neck?
upload_2020-1-4_19-43-42.png

Not sure why this is surprising.
I'm not surprised by the past accusations in what was probably a chaotic stressful environment.
But the allegations of actually segregating workers... how does that happen this century?
The only defense I found was 'we have 50 complaints, looked into it, found nothing'

Obviously the CEO is wired differently, he cares about tech and getting things done at all cost. Wants robots instead of humans.
Doesn't want to deal with this stuff, or unions, or anything that involves compromise. You are here to work, not have feelings!

Reading today about the DFEH investigation's findings and their lawsuit saddens me and takes much of the joy I've been feeling about the prospect of my new Model 3 away. I am not at all interested in talking about the allegations or debating whether their findings are correct or should matter here in this forum; there are other places on the internet for that. But I will say that it will impact on my purchasing decision and I will need to learn more and decide whether I want to continue the process. I already didn't particularly care for the company but I love the cars. I guess that's still true but at what point am I enabling what I believe is morally wrong? :(

I'm not surprised by the past accusations in what was probably a chaotic stressful environment.
But the allegations of actually segregating workers... how does that happen this century?
The only defense I found was 'we have 50 complaints, looked into it, found nothing'

Obviously the CEO is wired differently, he cares about tech and getting things done at all cost. Wants robots instead of humans.
Doesn't want to deal with this stuff, or unions, or anything that involves compromise. You are here to work, not have feelings!
Same way every other horrible thing happens, not enough people care. I guess I am more surprised that you are surprised. Based on the last 14 years, this shouldn't be entirely surprising.

Reading today about the DFEH investigation's findings and their lawsuit saddens me and takes much of the joy I've been feeling about the prospect of my new Model 3 away. I am not at all interested in talking about the allegations or debating whether their findings are correct or should matter here in this forum; there are other places on the internet for that. But I will say that it will impact on my purchasing decision and I will need to learn more and decide whether I want to continue the process. I already didn't particularly care for the company but I love the cars. I guess that's still true but at what point am I enabling what I believe is morally wrong? :(
I made my decision last night. After owning M3 (which we sold) and another on the way, MY and even solar, we pulled the plug last night. DFEH is just one thing. There are so many other issues.

I made my decision last night. After owning M3 (which we sold) and another on the way, MY and even solar, we pulled the plug last night. DFEH is just one thing. There are so many other issues.
I don't know how to put it, it's just gross. I grew up in the sticks n stones, suck it up generation. Not much bothers me. I try to buy American/Canadian/Euro
made goods whenever possible and shop local.

There is no way not to be complicit in the systemic racism of our country. We cannot buy ourselves into a better country or world. I hope this lawsuit leads to real, substantive changes at Tesla. The executives and managers who have enabled, and probably encouraged, this sickening behavior should be held accountable and the men and women who have suffered this abuse should be given substantial financial awards. It won’t make up for the trauma caused by Tesla’s abusive environment, but it might ease the pain a little.

I understand the feelings of embarrassment from owning a Tesla. I feel it a little bit too. I try to remind myself that every car company is problematic and that it is impossible to avoid being complicit in a racist and uncaring society. Our last car was a Toyota. That company not only funded politicians who actively encouraged insurrection and are fighting voting rights everywhere, they also spent millions fighting emissions standards and other legislation to fight climate change. The car we had before the Prius? A VW supposed “clean diesel.” Hard to fathom how many lives were cut short by the pollution spewed around the world by that company. Pollution most affects lower income communities, as we all know.

This isn’t to excuse Tesla, just to say that we are stuck in a system that doesn’t value human dignity or well being. Tesla is part of that system and we are too, no matter what car we drive. But still, we all have to live with ourselves, so if not owning a Tesla is the action that you need to take, then that’s what it is. If we look deeply at how everything we buy is manufactured and produced, it can be really depressing. :(

What's depressing is how many people just don't seem to care if this sort of thing happens and how many people actively try to tell themselves that things like this are just fake so they don't have to mentally deal with it. As a Black person, I have seen and experienced these types of things myself first hand (though not quite as bad as this) even here in the Bay Area and even in the high-paying white-collar tech jobs I've been lucky enough to have.

What's depressing is how many people just don't seem to care if this sort of thing happens and how many people actively try to tell themselves that things like this are just fake so they don't have to mentally deal with it. As a Black person, I have seen and experienced these types of things myself first hand (though not quite as bad as this) even here in the Bay Area and even in the high-paying white-collar tech jobs I've been lucky enough to have.
It is really depressing. I don't remember the actual quote from James Baldwin, but the sentiment was about how the cognitive dissonance of living in a country that presents itself as the champion of liberty and justice but that actively oppresses Black people leads to a sort of illness, that the entire country is 'sick' from this dissonance. Perhaps this is how we can have people who truly believe themselves not to be racist, but who still do incredibly racist actions and who are angry at anyone who even talks about systemic racism. Maybe it's the numbing that has to happen to live in a society that is so sick. I wondered this about myself yesterday when I walked past a man sleeping in a doorway in Pasadena. It is a sort of moral injury to walk past a person who is clearly in need of help when you feel powerless to do anything to help that person. In a way, so many of us are just walking past the injustice because it is everywhere. Our society cultivates not caring about each other, it seems. I am sorry that you have been subjected to this sort of trauma. :(

If it’s true it is sad that this is going on in a company led by an African American.

If its not true then this is just a deep pocket money grab operation by the state with pro union guys fanning the flames.
He is a white African American. So he wouldn’t face the same racism his black employees would. Not really sure how this is hard to digest.

I spent 3 years in Africa, racism is not limited to just black people being oppressed. We are lucky that we live here and have laws that protect everyone.
Only 157 years since everyone in America were considered people, 57 since they were “treated as such“. In the case of this lawsuit, it seems those laws have done a crap job at protecting some of “everyone”.