Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rack for the Infamous Accessory Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
I noticed that the Model-X Store has a new item: Model X Hitch Rack

Is this supposed to be the infamous rack that went with the accessory hitch? Looks like a Yakima hitch rebranded for Tesla. Seems like a little bit of a hack since it's a 1.25" hitch with a 2" adapter (Tesla doesn't offer 1.25" hitches any longer). Doesn't look at all like the streamlined one at the reveal last September.

If one ordered the accessory hitch, do they get the Hitch Rack as well? Or was it always expected to be an additional cost?

BTW, I don't think this rack would work well with full-suspension mountain bikes, unless you got a top-bar (seat post to handle-bar stem) as well.

Didn't everyone that took delivery so far get the tow hitch even though they ordered the accessory hitch? This is what mine looks like not sure what I got

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 172
Pretty disappointed it is nothing like the one at reveal. Will wait for reviews might explore other options. Really only need it for skis/boards.
The streamlined rack at the reveal almost didn't even look like a real rack though. There was no ties or hooks to keep bikes in place, it was just for show it seemed like. It looked good but not functional from what I saw at the reveal. I too am disappointed if this is our lone option from Tesla.

Reactions: McManX
Yup @vandacca, that is the Yakima Fulltilt 4 rebranded with Tesla logos. I'll guarantee it's way better than that Allen one linked a couple times though. Generally Yakima and Thule are your best choices for racks.

It will work with full suspension mtb's but not well. If thst's what you'll be carrying mostly Inwould suggest a tray style hitch mount rack that you set the bikes in like the Yakima Holdup.

If you're looking for a ski/board option then it's the Yakima Hitchski.

I prefer the tray racks. I have a 2-bike tray rack on my current vehicle, but my wife has a 5-bike Thule (with oval tubing) that is a pain to put full-suspension bikes on. So, I broke down and purchased a "TubeTop" to make it less painless when we take her vehicle.

The funny thing is that we just got rid of her very old 4-bike Thule rack because it didn't have any tool-less quick releases. You had to take out a bolt to tilt forward or a different bolt to lower the arms. However, it had thin round tubing that was much easier to load full-suspension bikes on. I wish Thule made a smaller diameter, round-tube carrier with all the conveniences.

I did recommend this to a Thule representative at the International Toronto Bike Show a few years back...still nothing. :(

BIKE RACK CONFLICT WITH AUTOPILOT:

Took delivery of my Model X 90D last week and immediately attached a well-designed, well-built bike rack from Kuat:

Kuat Racks - NV - 2" - Black

The rack is excellent and highly recommended for its quality construction and ease of use. That said, my maiden voyage with the rack in place carrying two bikes resulted in an on-going conflict with the left rear sensor. The dashboard showed a continuous warning at the left rear of the vehicle. With AutoPilot engaged, the Model X would not change lanes to the left (no problem going right). Don't know if this can be corrected via a software patch or not. In the interim, I will not be using AutoPilot with the bike rack in place.

Attachments

• IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3646.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 109