Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rack that can accommodate bikes and skis/snowboards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a MX Raven Performance, expecting delivery in December. I'm wondering if there's a good hitch-mounted rack that can accommodate both bikes and skis/snowboards? I was looking at the Kuat NV 2.0, which seems great for bikes, but it doesn't look like it can be used for skis/snowboards. Maybe I just need to get a completely separate rack system for that?

from what i've seen looking at bike racks and one that was a bike/trike rack there is one for each type, but not a mix or adjustable. Might be better off getting one for each task. We don't have snow and/or snow board options where I live so never looked at those, but trikes carry a lot different than a bike does and mixing/matching them is non existent.

Same problem for me ... I tried SeaSucker and TreeFrogs ... and in fact really liked the TreeFrogs (mounted horizontally on my back windshield), but couldn't get my head past the stresses to the back windshield. Everything I researched for a hitch rack looked flimsy ... couldn’t find what I wanted so I made my own. I started with a Thule T2 Pro XT 2 bike rack (sans the bike parts), combined it with a Yakima HD Bar (modified to fit) and finished it off with a Thule SnowPackM. Stock T bolts used to secure the cross bar and roof racks with quick release to install the horizontal bike carrier struts. I've driven to/from the mountains with the racks up and down with no noticeable loss of range.

Attachments

• IMG_8748.jpeg
    IMG_8748.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_8755.jpeg
    IMG_8755.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_8757.jpeg
    IMG_8757.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8761.jpeg
    IMG_8761.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8762.jpeg
    IMG_8762.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: puhiniho
No ... they’re 188’s and from the front of the car you can’t see the skis at all, and when you’re in the car you can’t see them unless you use the camera.

Curious, do you leave it in the down position when driving?

BTW, it looks great!

I want to try the same but it seems putting all those parts together might be reaching $1000, but I guess you have compromise somewhere, either features or cost :eek:

Curious, do you leave it in the down position when driving?

BTW, it looks great!

I want to try the same but it seems putting all those parts together might be reaching $1000, but I guess you have compromise somewhere, either features or cost :eek:

For the most part I leave it in the up position, but I have driven with it down as technically that’s how it’s designed to carry bikes. I suspect there’s a slight hit to range in the up position due to the skis interrupting the air flow over the top and sides of the car, but crosswinds in the mountains play havoc with aerodynamics regardless. Agree on cost ... my justification is that I have an great ski rack in winter and a great bike rack (as I can switch out the ski bars for bike bars) in summer.

Reactions: puhiniho