Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar activation on AP2 under Firmware 8-0-2.50 - too sensitive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Just installed firmware 8-0-2.50 today and it seems to have activated some kind of radar functionality on the dashboard.

It seems way too sensitive to me and it picks up everything. If I make a right turn, a house on the curb or something completely off the road will light up on the car dashboard.

I need to do more driving to figure out the behavior better but seems to throw too many false positives for use as a blind spot sensor.

Anyone else have similar or different experiences?

I'm not sure there is anything to "fix". It looks like it is just indicating that the sensors have picked up some object which is being mapped and tracked by the car. Presumably the car will need to map all of its surroundings all the time when FSD goes live. This seems like just a little bit of fun animation for you to see what the car is doing, not really for use as a blind-spot detector.

Sorry, but mine is completely different from your experience after the latest xmas update.

I almost hit a tree in front of my car (parking spot in front of a tree). The sensors kick it to say 12 inches but it is defo much less. I say probably 6 inches left.

I think we are talking about two different things.

1 is the parking (low speed?) sensor and one is the sensor that detects objects around you when moving at a higher speed.

I almost hit a wall when I stopped after the sensor said 'STOP'. That part of the sensor package needs to go back to prepatch level and distances.

The sensors that show objects on the sides and left/right rear fenders are almost useless. That throws out an impossible number of false positives. However I need more driving to determine if it throws out false negatives.

I think we are talking about two different things.

1 is the parking (low speed?) sensor and one is the sensor that detects objects around you when moving at a higher speed.

I almost hit a wall when I stopped after the sensor said 'STOP'. That part of the sensor package needs to go back to prepatch level and distances.

The sensors that show objects on the sides and left/right rear fenders are almost useless. That throws out an impossible number of false positives. However I need more driving to determine if it throws out false negatives.

You're probably right.

I don't like these updates where actual performance changes are not disclosed. We're treated like test subjects for software validation.

Reactions: MXWing
Sharing my experience here:

Got my Model S AP2 hardware about a week ago and immediately noticed that the proximity sensors were too sensitive. I didn't pay much attention other than this. Then I was starting to see the front left proximity sensor triggering without anything close. A little bit more try and error and what was happening is that if I was driving between 7 miles/h and 27 miles/h, the sensor triggered; otherwise it was working fine (still too sensitive). I scheduled an appointment with Service for them to take a look. A day before I went there, I updated to the latest firmware. After the update, everything is working great. I no longer have any issues. Sensitivity is "normal" (based on my understanding of "normal" as I am driving the car only for a week), and the front left sensor triggers when it has to. So, either the update fixed something or maybe the car needed a reboot.

Unfortunatelly, I wasn't able to show the guys at the Service Center the issue but they didn't look too surprised when I was explaining it.

I am attaching an image from a video I got (not sure how to upload the video) while experiencing that issue (before the latest firmware update) :

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 5.24.11 PM.png

Sharing my experience here:

Got my Model S AP2 hardware about a week ago and immediately noticed that the proximity sensors were too sensitive. I didn't pay much attention other than this. Then I was starting to see the front left proximity sensor triggering without anything close. A little bit more try and error and what was happening is that if I was driving between 7 miles/h and 27 miles/h, the sensor triggered; otherwise it was working fine (still too sensitive). I scheduled an appointment with Service for them to take a look. A day before I went there, I updated to the latest firmware. After the update, everything is working great. I no longer have any issues. Sensitivity is "normal" (based on my understanding of "normal" as I am driving the car only for a week), and the front left sensor triggers when it has to. So, either the update fixed something or maybe the car needed a reboot.

Unfortunatelly, I wasn't able to show the guys at the Service Center the issue but they didn't look too surprised when I was explaining it.

I am attaching an image from a video I got (not sure how to upload the video) while experiencing that issue (before the latest firmware update) :

View attachment 207974

You should be jailed.

Speed limit is 30 and you are driving 25. :D