Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a subscriber. It uses the same database that keeps the Waze info. Problem is that it is down right now (I will write to the tech support). The car position and police locations are not displayed since the last update. This seems to be the same problem afflicting other Waze web pages.

When it works, I really like it because it flashes RED on the screen when I approach a police sighting. It is not 100% but nothing really is.

In the past few months, the app did indeed have some issues. First, Google changed their map API and it broke the display of the markers on the map. I replaced Google Maps with Mapbox, and that resolved the map marker issue.

Soon after fixing the map marker issues, I started receiving reports that the app was broken again. The latest firmware with the new browser update broke the app. It was a couple of weeks before I received the update myself, and could begin to diagnose the severity of the breakage. Turned out it was quite severe.

The code in it's state at that time was a bit of a mess, and I ended up rewriting the app from the ground up. The rewrite was able to take advantage of new features related to the GPS available in the new browser. I was still serving up the old code to old Tesla browsers, but eventually I was able to merge the two, and the new code now works in old browsers too.

I've been optimizing it for the past couple of weeks, and I think it's in really good shape now. In fact, I was able to even add some new features and enhance the way the app functions:
  • The indicators on the map to show the direction of travel have been removed, in favor of the addition of the radar cone and circles to the map -- this makes it MUCH easier to tell the direction of travel on the map, and the relative locations of alerts
  • When you tap and drag to pan the map, it stops tracking the vehicle, and a recenter button appears; tapping the recenter button will resume tracking the vehicle on the map
  • Alerts outside of the warning cone now appear gray
  • Alerts on the map now appear the same color as they do on the radar
    • Gray - They are outside the radar warning cone
    • Green - They are inside the radar warning cone, over 2 mi. (3.2 km) away
    • Yellow - They are inside the radar warning cone, less than 2 mi. (3.2 km) but more than 1 mi. (1.6 km) away
    • Red - They are inside the radar warning cone, either less than 1 minute away or less than 1 mi. (1.6 km) away
  • The app now continues to function properly when coming back to the car, even overnight
  • The app will check for updates every 6 hours, and reload if a new version is detected
  • When warnings are flashing the screen red and blue, they are now dismissable one-by-one; when the last one is dismissed, the screen no longer flashes red and blue
Here is a screenshot where you can see the screen flashing blue with an alert within warning range:

upload_2018-5-18_7-42-17.png

And here it is after it has been dismissed:

upload_2018-5-18_7-43-23.png

You can also see grayed out alerts on both the radar and map. If you run into any issues or have any suggestion for features, please feel free to let me know.

Exactly what info does it provide? Does it show where there is traffic, construction, accidents, hidden police, etc., as is provided in teslawaze?

It is only provides police reports. The Tesla nav does a good job of providing traffic data.

It looks cool and is exactly what I want but I don't think its worth $5 a month.

Go Gators! :) Unfortunately, after processing fees, commissions, hosting fees, etc., I don't have a whole lot of room to drop the price much more and make some profit. Perhaps at some point I may do some discounting, we shall see.