Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar Alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. If the only data source comes from Tesla users, how useful is this? I'm not sure why I haven't seen this mentioned before.

I will miss the traffic info on Waze.
He won't disclose his specific data source, however I guarantee you it's Waze. It's definitely not Tesla users because, just like TeslaWaze, there's no way for you to report an item.

From their FAQ:
Q: Where do the radar alerts come from?
A: We have developed a proprietary algorithm that mines the data from mobile applications drivers use to inform other drivers of police they have seen. If you are driving through a dense metropolitan area where there are many drivers that use such mobile applications, it's very likely that Radar Alerts will work well for you. If you are driving through a rural area or an area that disallows such applications, you probably will not see any police reported.

Please report back what your thoughts are! I'm sure everyone in this thread would be eager to get a current opinion and comparison. :)

I signed up and went for a spin, very few police show up compared to teslawaze and no traffic or other hazards show... not sure it’s that great, so unless it improves or it’s useful on my trip I can see me cancelling this. If $5 a month is the cost then it has to show more useful info, if they are sourcing the speed traps they should also source the rest of waze info to make it useful.

Also if the developer is on here and wants feedback then I would allow for the radar to be configurable distance and narrow the scope. It popped up an alert that was a couple of miles away on a freeway I wasn’t on.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I signed up and went for a spin, very few police show up compared to teslawaze and no traffic or other hazards show... not sure it’s that great, so unless it improves or it’s useful on my trip I can see me cancelling this. If $5 a month is the cost then it has to show more useful info, if they are sourcing the speed traps they should also source the rest of waze info to make it useful.

Also if the developer is on here and wants feedback then I would allow for the radar to be configurable distance and narrow the scope. It popped up an alert that was a couple of miles away on a freeway I wasn’t on.
Well that's a huge bummer! :( Back in 2016 when I tried it, it worked really well and was getting better with updates and tweaks. I remember reading a post on here from a user that added a speed trap to Waze using their phone and seconds later it showed-up on Radar Alerts in their car browser. May be worth contacting them? Radar Alerts for Tesla Vehicles - FAQ and Technical Support. If the police aren't showing-up, I guess it isn't worth paying for. :confused:

Did it show other road hazards or road closings from Waze, like TeslaWaze does?

Well that's a huge bummer! :( Back in 2016 when I tried it, it worked really well and was getting better with updates and tweaks. I remember reading a post on here from a user that added a speed trap to Waze using their phone and seconds later it showed-up on Radar Alerts in their car browser. May be worth contacting them? Radar Alerts for Tesla Vehicles - FAQ and Technical Support. If the police aren't showing-up, I guess it isn't worth paying for. :confused:

Did it show other road hazards or road closings from Waze, like TeslaWaze does?

No other notifications (road closings, hazards or anything else). I think it only shows actual speed traps rather than all cops. I’ll know more this weekend.. ses like they could get wat more revenue if they showed more information.

I'm here! :)

The alert pop ups will appear when an alert is within the radar cone, and is less than 1 mile away or has an ETA of less than a minute. In order to try to reduce the number of false positives when travelling on highways, when the vehicle speed exceeds 55 mph (88 km/h), the radar cone narrows from 90 degrees (45 degrees to the left and right of the direction of travel) to 45 degrees (22.5 degrees to the left and right of the direction of travel).

I did a good bit of testing to finally arrive at those parameters. Certainly it's not perfect, but for the most part it works pretty well. I also added the ability to dismiss the alert pop-ups one-by-one, which also helps. If you see a false positive pop up, you can just tap on it to dismiss it.

No other notifications (road closings, hazards or anything else). I think it only shows actual speed traps rather than all cops. I’ll know more this weekend.. ses like they could get wat more revenue if they showed more information.

I'll look into adding road hazards and road closings. It would take a bit of work, because of the manner in which everything is geared specifically toward police alerts. It should be possible to do though. I look forward to hearing how your trip went!

In the past few weeks, I've made many updates. A couple of months ago, the map makers stopped working. Google made some changes to their map API that broke them. I updated the app to use Mapbox instead of Google maps, and the markers were working once again.

Not long after that, the latest Tesla firmware totally broke the app, and I ended up completely rewriting it to work with the new browser. Last week, I made more updates to allow the old browser/firmware to work with the new code, so now everyone can benefit from the latest features.

The rewrite allowed me to add some new improvements to the app:
  • The indicators on the map to show the direction of travel have been removed, in favor of the addition of the radar cone and circles to the map -- this makes it MUCH easier to tell the direction of travel on the map, and the relative locations of alerts
  • When you tap and drag to pan the map, it stops tracking the vehicle, and a recenter button appears; tapping the recenter button will resume tracking the vehicle on the map
  • Alerts outside of the warning cone now appear gray
  • Alerts on the map now appear the same color as they do on the radar
    • Gray - They are outside the radar warning cone
    • Green - They are inside the radar warning cone, over 2 mi. (3.2 km) away
    • Yellow - They are inside the radar warning cone, less than 2 mi. (3.2 km) but more than 1 mi. (1.6 km) away
    • Red - They are inside the radar warning cone, either less than 1 minute away or less than 1 mi. (1.6 km) away; red alerts will cause the screen to flash red and blue
  • When warnings are flashing the screen red and blue, they are now dismissable one-by-one; when the last one is dismissed, the screen no longer flashes red and blue
  • The app now continues to function properly when coming back to the car, even overnight
  • The app will check for updates every 6 hours, and reload if a new version is detected

The alert pop ups will appear when an alert is within the radar cone, and is less than 1 mile away or has an ETA of less than a minute. In order to try to reduce the number of false positives when travelling on highways, when the vehicle speed exceeds 55 mph (88 km/h), the radar cone narrows from 90 degrees (45 degrees to the left and right of the direction of travel) to 45 degrees (22.5 degrees to the left and right of the direction of travel).

I did a good bit of testing to finally arrive at those parameters. Certainly it's not perfect, but for the most part it works pretty well. I also added the ability to dismiss the alert pop-ups one-by-one, which also helps. If you see a false positive pop up, you can just tap on it to dismiss it.

I'll look into adding road hazards and road closings. It would take a bit of work, because of the manner in which everything is geared specifically toward police alerts. It should be possible to do though. I look forward to hearing how your trip went!

In the past few weeks, I've made many updates. A couple of months ago, the map makers stopped working. Google made some changes to their map API that broke them. I updated the app to use Mapbox instead of Google maps, and the markers were working once again.

Not long after that, the latest Tesla firmware totally broke the app, and I ended up completely rewriting it to work with the new browser. Last week, I made more updates to allow the old browser/firmware to work with the new code, so now everyone can benefit from the latest features.

• The indicators on the map to show the direction of travel have been removed, in favor of the addition of the radar cone and circles to the map -- this makes it MUCH easier to tell the direction of travel on the map, and the relative locations of alerts
  • When you tap and drag to pan the map, it stops tracking the vehicle, and a recenter button appears; tapping the recenter button will resume tracking the vehicle on the map
    • Yellow - They are inside the radar warning cone, less than 2 mi. (3.2 km) but more than 1 mi. (1.6 km) away
    • Red - They are inside the radar warning cone, either less than 1 minute away or less than 1 mi. (1.6 km) away; red alerts will cause the screen to flash red and blue
  • When warnings are flashing the screen red and blue, they are now dismissable one-by-one; when the last one is dismissed, the screen no longer flashes red and blue
  • The app now continues to function properly when coming back to the car, even overnight
  • The app will check for updates every 6 hours, and reload if a new version is detected

So I did get to use the app on my trip, I found it really useful. I would switch back and forth between Tesla waze and radar and found the notifications and alerts accurate to what was on waze.

I really like the countdown feature to a police speed trap, that is really well done, the flashing screen gets your attention as well as the list of speed traps and their proximity to the car.

So freeway driving is really good,

I do think you still need to adjust for non freeway driving. Maybe narrow the radar distance to speed traps within a mile as I found driving around my neighborhood in northern Virginia I would get all the alerts from speed traps on 66 and 495 when I wasn’t anywhere near them (but they are within 5 miles) so the flashing alerts get annoying on local roads when making turns etc.

Also as mentioned traffic or road closure alerts would be really useful, maybe below the radar screen you could list those and show on the map but not flash the screen alerts.

It’s good though.

• Informative
Reactions: GeekLad and JohnnyG
I do think you still need to adjust for non freeway driving. Maybe narrow the radar distance to speed traps within a mile as I found driving around my neighborhood in northern Virginia I would get all the alerts from speed traps on 66 and 495 when I wasn’t anywhere near them (but they are within 5 miles) so the flashing alerts get annoying on local roads when making turns etc.

Hmm, that sounds like it may be a bug. You should only get the red/blue flash when alerts are within a mile or less than 60 seconds away. If you see that again, see if you can safely snap a pic, and email it to info at ev-radar dot com.

Also as mentioned traffic or road closure alerts would be really useful, maybe below the radar screen you could list those and show on the map but not flash the screen alerts.

I'm working on adding other alerts. What I'm planning on doing is making them configurable in the options, and you can select which ones you want to see and which ones you don't. Setting it up this way would allow you to have Radar Alerts work exactly as it does today (police only), or also have it include accidents, traffic jams, road closures, etc. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: JohnnyG
@AMPUP I pushed an update to Radar Alerts this morning that adds in other incident types to the map. There are buttons on the left side of the map that allow you to toggle the different types of incidents. Blue indicates they are enabled, and if you tap them, they will go gray and disable those types of alerts. Let me know what you think.

@AMPUP I pushed an update to Radar Alerts this morning that adds in other incident types to the map. There are buttons on the left side of the map that allow you to toggle the different types of incidents. Blue indicates they are enabled, and if you tap them, they will go gray and disable those types of alerts. Let me know what you think.

Those are showing up and it’s well done, thankyou!!. However, most say Unknown? So it’s hard to understand what they are, any chance of adding the feature to tap them and get the details like in the other app? Stella update though, I like this app/site.

Geeklad, this thread is for TeslaWaze. Please create a new thread for Radar Alerts and continue your discussions there. Your posts are not appropriate for this thread.

Thanks!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Geeklad, this thread is for TeslaWaze. Please create a new thread for Radar Alerts and continue your discussions there. Your posts are not appropriate for this thread.

Thanks!

I disagree. This thread is discussing the soon-approaching end of TeslaWaze and what other options exist to try to take its place when it's gone. GeekLad has a product that provides some of the same content and is announcing he just added more content to fill the gap that will be left when TeslaWaze is gone.

Totally appropriate for this thread in my opinion.

I disagree. This thread is discussing the soon-approaching end of TeslaWaze and what other options exist to try to take its place when it's gone. GeekLad has a product that provides some of the same content and is announcing he just added more content to fill the gap that will be left when TeslaWaze is gone.

Totally appropriate for this thread in my opinion.

Eric is rewriting TeslaWaze and the new version is using open-source code. The new version in Beta development can be seen at: Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information. You will notice he is now using MapBox Open Street maps instead of Google maps.

Since TeslaWaze is not going to be gone, GeekLad needs to move his application to a new thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corsair and Klaus

Wait a second, are you saying that Tesla exposes CAN data to the web browser? This seems like a huge security risk.