Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar bugs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this system isn't supposed to be perfect, but I've seen pretty substantial bugs in the radar/cameras spotting nearby cars. Many times it shows cars half in my lane, on top of each other, jittering around when at a complete stop, and just misses some cars that are right next to me or just a bit ahead. Does each individual car need to log a lot of miles to reduce these errors? Or is this just common with the current software?

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
It has never shown cars to the sides or behind you. That's a limitation of using just the front cameras. Hopefully that will improve with the big 9.0 release. I'm pretty sure the jittery behavior is more a problem in displaying the data than an indication of what the car is seeing, but you never know. I'm am sure it will improve in the future. While there is probably some calibration by individual cars to figure out the alignment of all the cameras, that's a fairly quick process. Otherwise the software is pretty much the same, subject to your hardware.

Yeah the spazzing out of the graphical cars on the display is normal, especially when you’re stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. When you’re moving at highway speeds it really shouldn’t do that much.

Mine seems to have problems when passing large trucks. It either shows the truck (as a car) zip past me very quickly to my right (even though I'm passing it), or occasional shows it veer into my lane then dissapear, which spooked me a little the first couple of times it did it. Hoping v9 turns on those side cameras so we see a better rendering of what's really next to us.

I had the same experience as above and also funny to see a "car" squeeze through when a motor bike is lane splitting ! Also when stopped at an intersection (and you are the first car at the red light) cars making a left turn in front of you look like going back wards, racing . I know it is just a graphic, but I am sure one can improve on it an show motor bikes and also big rigs, when an object is much bigger than an average car/SUV size.