TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Radar bugs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by devsters, Aug 7, 2018.

1. devsters

devsters Member

I know this system isn't supposed to be perfect, but I've seen pretty substantial bugs in the radar/cameras spotting nearby cars. Many times it shows cars half in my lane, on top of each other, jittering around when at a complete stop, and just misses some cars that are right next to me or just a bit ahead. Does each individual car need to log a lot of miles to reduce these errors? Or is this just common with the current software?

• Disagree x 1
  2. animorph

animorph Active Member

It has never shown cars to the sides or behind you. That's a limitation of using just the front cameras. Hopefully that will improve with the big 9.0 release. I'm pretty sure the jittery behavior is more a problem in displaying the data than an indication of what the car is seeing, but you never know. I'm am sure it will improve in the future. While there is probably some calibration by individual cars to figure out the alignment of all the cameras, that's a fairly quick process. Otherwise the software is pretty much the same, subject to your hardware.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Yeah the spazzing out of the graphical cars on the display is normal, especially when you’re stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. When you’re moving at highway speeds it really shouldn’t do that much.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It's just a screen that keeps people entertained. If you look at some of the debug videos, you will see that the information provided to the autopilot are a lot more detailed with a lot more information.

5. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

It’s a bit like the pirate code.
    More of a guideline :)

6. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Upload a video. I can see if what you're seeing is consistent with what I'm seeing.

7. btews

btews Member

Mine seems to have problems when passing large trucks. It either shows the truck (as a car) zip past me very quickly to my right (even though I'm passing it), or occasional shows it veer into my lane then dissapear, which spooked me a little the first couple of times it did it. Hoping v9 turns on those side cameras so we see a better rendering of what's really next to us.

8. CactusOne

CactusOne Member

Just call your buddy in the picture OP..lol

But seriously, the more you use AP the better it gets..let it calibrate longer.

• Disagree x 1
  9. SigNC

SigNC Member

it just started showing cars in adjacent lanes a version or 2 ago.

10. Shopaholic

Shopaholic Member

I had the same experience as above and also funny to see a "car" squeeze through when a motor bike is lane splitting ! Also when stopped at an intersection (and you are the first car at the red light) cars making a left turn in front of you look like going back wards, racing . I know it is just a graphic, but I am sure one can improve on it an show motor bikes and also big rigs, when an object is much bigger than an average car/SUV size.