Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar deleted on all new Model Y and Model 3. Is FSD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y with radar. I do not have FSD. Autopilot is hot garbage. On a faster section of road, it limits the speed to 45mph, which is useless. With all the cameras, it still only looks at the car immediately in front of me to determine when to slow and speed up. It is far from smooth in steering. The transition from steering to not steering is abrupt and jerks the car. Acceleration is too quick, and deceleration is too. Distance following is ok and useful, but frankly, I prefer the lane-keeping and following system on our Jaguar. It's smoother and more predictable, which makes me feel safer.

So radar are no, it doesn't matter. Tesla just isn't even close, not by a country mile, to true self-driving.

I have a Model Y with radar. I do not have FSD. Autopilot is hot garbage. On a faster section of road, it limits the speed to 45mph, which is useless. With all the cameras, it still only looks at the car immediately in front of me to determine when to slow and speed up. It is far from smooth in steering. The transition from steering to not steering is abrupt and jerks the car. Acceleration is too quick, and deceleration is too. Distance following is ok and useful, but frankly, I prefer the lane-keeping and following system on our Jaguar. It's smoother and more predictable, which makes me feel safer.

So radar are no, it doesn't matter. Tesla just isn't even close, not by a country mile, to true self-driving.
As guy who drove on Autopilot from GA to NJ and back most of the time I will disagree with your ovulation of AP. But nice try.

What would be the point if the wiring harness was there if the software itself disables the radar?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but LMK. 203xxx vin.
Just curious as I'm compiling a bunch of research on the new cars. Hard to see from this photo though; really we'd need some pics with the front fascia removed to determine if harness is still there. My crutch is that is is though, given no new wiring harnesses in EPC.

It wouldn't be hard to plop a radar in - You are right in that the larger challenge would be updating gateway config to actually use it ;)

Just curious as I'm compiling a bunch of research on the new cars. Hard to see from this photo though; really we'd need some pics with the front fascia removed to determine if harness is still there. My crutch is that is is though, given no new wiring harnesses in EPC.

It wouldn't be hard to plop a radar in - You are right in that the larger challenge would be updating gateway config to actually use it ;)
Heh, not sure I'll be removing the front fascia anytime soon but if I do, I'll try to remember to take a pic :D

• Love
Reactions: YieldFarmer
I totally sympathize with rjpjnk. In the software world they say there can be both too much and too little documentation. I feel overwhelmed by all the new information I have to process in order to purchase a new Tesla. I just got over checking out competing cars. Then there are YouTube videos, shopping for accessories, wearing out my mouse refreshing refreshing refreshing to find and scarf up a demo model before someone else does, and, of course, getting a charger installed.

Reading the entire manual is on my todo list but it's not near the top.

You would think people who can afford 50k car can figure out simple things like audio control in the car.
Whenever I get a new car (or really anything complex) I read the manual. All of that is described in there. Tesla's model Y manual is short, too... and imho unfinished. It doesnt have any sections on 3rd row seats. I found out today that the 3rd row seats have seat heaters... you cant access them from the display in the car, but you can on the phone app.

Another thing missing from the manual. Tire rotation... it says to do it, but doesnt say how. (yea I can figure it out, but it SHOULD be in the manual).

All autonomous driving systems are crap. They're just varying degrees of awful. If anything, I find the I-Pace system easier to trust since it shares control. In contrast, the Tesla system won't let you share control, just watch until it catastrophically fails, which is maybe once every 30 minutes, accompanied by panicked beeping and a sudden swerve.

• Disagree
Reactions: KiloV and WhiteWi
Radar induced phantom braking can be quite annoying tho... The two most common cases for me:
1. If someone in front of you turns right, and you are the right distance behind, such that your path is clear because the car in front turned already, but is still within view of the radar, my car will slam on the brakes, even tho my travel lane is completely clear. It doens't come to a complete stop, it acts more like a brake check, as it releases the brakes when the car in front is no longer in view. But it sure does induces road rage in the people behind me. Altho, this only happens if I have the drivers assist active... If I don't, it doesn't do this in this case.
2. There is a curve near my daughter's school. Right at the apex of the curve, there is a light post... If I'm in the right lane, my car will slam on the brakes 99% of the time if I approach that curve > 35mph (45mph speed limit)... So to compensate, I always have to make sure I'm in the left lane, when coming up that road. Phantom braking occurs in this situation for me, regardless if I have the drivers assists on or off, probably because the computer thinks an accident is imminent, as many times during this scenario, it also tightens the shoulder belts.

Note: The above is not for a Tesla, as I'm still waiting for a VIN... I will be sure to drive down that road when I drop off my daughter after taking delivery of my Y.
I have a vehicle produced in May of this year, with no radar. I have experienced many instances of phantom breaking while using adaptive cruise control on two lane roadways. My 2019 Mercedes A250 was a joy, compared to this.