Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar deleted on all new Model Y and Model 3. Is FSD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MY in April and have been anxiously awaiting my delivery date, but this news has given me significant pause, and now I'm considering cancelling my order. Unless they have years of data to back their claim, you'll never get me to believe that a vision-based system will outperform a system that incorporates radar (especially in bad weather and blinding sun). It seems that Tesla also believes this new system isn't trustworthy since they are capping Autosteer at 75mph, disabling emergency lane departure, and increasing the following distance. I don't want to be their safety testing guinea pig!

My nephew has a PhD in computer vision and he's also seriously concerned about this decision. The technology just isn't there yet, so this clearly seems like a cost-cutting move by Tesla (at the expense of driver and pedestrian safety).

I placed my order on March 24th and I see that Tesla is saying that any cars manufactured after March 27th will not have radar. Since I placed my order before this date, do you think my vehicle will have radar? And if so, will that continue to work, or will they eventually disable the radar with a software "downgrade"?
We were concerned with lack of radar so we asked after to model we test drove and were able to get it, for a discount, and delivered in five days. You might want to look into existing stock. There may be nothing officially for sale but that doesn't mean the showroom models aren't up for grabs. We're very happy to be getting ours almost a month earlier than expected and in a more expensive configuration than we had planned (blue on white) but for almost the same price after the showroom discount. Tesla's build quality being what it is, knowing that it's gone ~2000 miles already without incident is actually a plus for me.

I'm too lazy to type it out again, so just going to link to the post I made on Reddit. In short I am incredibly disapointed in how it handles even slightly inclement weather, and even more so that it doesn't work as well even when it's just dark.

Edit: Apparently it auto shows the post when pasting a reddit link? That's kinda cool!

Thanks for posting your experience. It's incredibly helpful to see real-world experiences.

I'm wondering if we were to buy a used Model Y if the radar would still work, or if Tesla will disable radar on all cars? I'm not comfortable with this change at all, but I'm not sure if buying a used Tesla would solve this issue.

Vision only. What could go wrong?

EaCx1jIX0AEbxy4.jpeg

DW-BlwFW0AATYg9.jpeg

ad6cffab320565c9510075fb7ac1b394.jpeg

2uqb95ugmdm31.jpg

cartoon_tunnel.jpg

My main issue is the cruise control not working in bad weather / at night without auto high beams. My original thoughts on camera only AP was "at least in snow, I won't lose cruise control due to the radar getting iced over"... but apparently instead of being better, even that will be worse :(

Keith

Reactions: jsight
My main issue is the cruise control not working in bad weather / at night without auto high beams. My original thoughts on camera only AP was "at least in snow, I won't lose cruise control due to the radar getting iced over"... but apparently instead of being better, even that will be worse :(

Keith
That’s not true, nobody has enough information to say this unequivocally regardless of some of the inane rantings you’ll find from people with too much time and a bone to pick.

Thanks for posting your experience. It's incredibly helpful to see real-world experiences.

I'm wondering if we were to buy a used Model Y if the radar would still work, or if Tesla will disable radar on all cars? I'm not comfortable with this change at all, but I'm not sure if buying a used Tesla would solve this issue.
I’m sure when they’ve validated parity or even advantage, that’s when they’ll switch you over. Until then I expect theyll have parallel codebases/ neural nets for radar/non-radar cars, like a development fork. If that never happens and camera only never supersedes legacy sensor suite (I expect it will eventually), then maybe never or maybe they’ll even retrofit radar etc. I get the sense most people don’t really appreciate how new and incredibly powerful and promising machine learning is…

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I’m sure when they’ve validated parity or even advantage, that’s when they’ll switch you over. Until then I expect theyll have parallel codebases/ neural nets for radar/non-radar cars, like a development fork. If that never happens and camera only never supersedes legacy sensor suite (I expect it will eventually), then maybe never or maybe they’ll even retrofit radar etc. I get the sense most people don’t really appreciate how new and incredibly powerful and promising machine learning is…

I for one don't want to be forced to participate in research and development while operating a nerfed product on public roads... oh, and paying more than I would have paid a couple months ago for a car with Radar.

I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, I am one of the new generation of customers that wants a good product... not a cult member that is OK being an experimental subject.

Keith

Who knows, there could be more. They just might not have been discovered yet. I wrote my SA about these things and he could care less it seems. It would be different if they informed me somewhere in the ordering process that here is the content in your car that has changed. To just blindly accept the de-contenting of cars is crazy while paying the full price. One of the reasons we liked the Tesla is it had lumbar support on both sides.

The bigger one was the number of safety features. Those are very important to us. Hopefully these issues get even more visibility. If the lumbar support is missing on my car when delivered, and they won't take care of it at the SC, I'll turn down delivery.

Who knows, there could be more. They just might not have been discovered yet. I wrote my SA about these things and he could care less it seems. It would be different if they informed me somewhere in the ordering process that here is the content in your car that has changed. To just blindly accept the de-contenting of cars is crazy while paying the full price. One of the reasons we liked the Tesla is it had lumbar support on both sides.

The bigger one was the number of safety features. Those are very important to us. Hopefully these issues get even more visibility. If the lumbar support is missing on my car when delivered, and they won't take care of it at the SC, I'll turn down delivery.
The SA won't care because he knows someone else will take it next in line. A lot of people aren't on the forums (here or reddit) or it's not a big deal to them. I understand from that point and we tend to work our selves up a bit.

I get that. I think that some of these issues aren't esoteric ones and the average consumer might understand the impact (no pun intended) if the automatic emergency braking doesn't work as you thought it would.

I think that is why when entities like Consumer Reports gets involved it brings more visibility to some of these issues. The mere fact that they dropped their ratings of the cars increased the coverage on other websites and in the new media in general where it will get more exposure. More visibility is good, especially beyond the immediate Tesla forums. Transparency and visibility is what often keep companies and people "honest".

Reactions: Fourdoor
I get that. I think that some of these issues aren't esoteric ones and the average consumer might understand the impact (no pun intended) if the automatic emergency braking doesn't work as you thought it would.

I think that is why when entities like Consumer Reports gets involved it brings more visibility to some of these issues. The mere fact that they dropped their ratings of the cars increased the coverage on other websites and in the new media in general where it will get more exposure. More visibility is good, especially beyond the immediate Tesla forums. Transparency and visibility is what often keep companies and people "honest".
For sure. Having CR in the mix now will help push the company to keep moving on this, similar to the brake issue with the 3. Tweeting Elon with a concern is hit or miss for resolution.

I for one don't want to be forced to participate in research and development while operating a nerfed product on public roads... oh, and paying more than I would have paid a couple months ago for a car with Radar.

I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, I am one of the new generation of customers that wants a good product... not a cult member that is OK being an experimental subject.

Keith
Nobody forcing you, but points for hyperbolic faux outrage. Also, the Qoolaid flows both ways.

Yes, they still make the best EVs but they’re not as good as they were last week. I think that is a valid concern.
Exactly and they stealth edit removed features. You have no easy way of telling what you ordered, and what you received in reality. There is no comprehensive change logs. Some removals are relatively minor (lumbar support) and some are significant such as radar. I wish they had an official changelog we could review. Not find out later, after we took delivery of the car, what was missing that we thought should have been.

I would also love to see the changelog list the impact of the changes.
Date. Change. Effect/impact
May 2021 - radar deleted - moderate impact - reduced performance of safety systems under some conditions with current software release.
May 2021 - passenger lumbar support adjustment removed - none to moderate impacte - for some of you who didn't use it, no impact. For others potentially a pissed off spouse/partner after 2 hours in the seat.
Etc./ etc.

Then we can see if the car we are accepting is close enough to the one we are ordering to accept it or not. I would also love the see them put the rationale behind each change.