Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar Detector Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't speak for a Y, but in my MS my V1 and 360max both work terrific. I pulled power from behind the mirror, up over through the headliner, and routed it down the passenger side pillar to the fusebox where I tapped power. Super easy.

Can't speak for a Y, but in my MS my V1 and 360max both work terrific. I pulled power from behind the mirror, up over through the headliner, and routed it down the passenger side pillar to the fusebox where I tapped power. Super easy.

On my 2015 MA, I power my Blackview down the driver side A pillar and off OBDC2 port, which doesn’t exist anymore in 3. My GPS does not work reliable through of the windshield of my model year.

Do you have any idea if we can tap power from the rear-view mirror?
I think you can tap it off the same place overhead location as in the 3, but my Tesla Mobile Service tech said not to tap it from there because the car will think there's a phantom drain. He said don't go directly to the smart battery either because of the same reason. He said it was ok to use the cigarette plug, which I think goes to sleep depending on Sentry Mode status, but that shouldn't matter with radar detector. I used the cigarette plug in the center console. I followed Erik's dashcam install link and routed power to the center console plug the way he did. I got a splitter for dashcam and future V1 install. The steps are the same for 3 and Y.

I've also included the mirror/base difference between the Y and 3.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I think you can tap it off the same place overhead location as in the 3, but my Tesla Mobile Service tech said not to tap it from there because the car will think there's a phantom drain. He said don't go directly to the smart battery either because of the same reason. He said it was ok to use the cigarette plug, which I think goes to sleep depending on Sentry Mode status, but that shouldn't matter with radar detector. I used the cigarette plug in the center console. I followed Erik's dashcam install link and routed power to the center console plug the way he did. I got a splitter for dashcam and future V1 install. The steps are the same for 3 and Y.

I've also included the mirror/base difference between the Y and 3.
Thanks!

There is a square four pin connector with switched 12V power behind the carpet and foam on left side of the driver side foot well. The brown lead/the bottom right pin of the connector is +12V.

upload_2020-7-5_21-4-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-5_21-4-21.png
    upload_2020-7-5_21-4-21.png
    781.8 KB · Views: 70