TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Radar Detector Install question

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Mark Bloomston, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Mark Bloomston

I recently upgraded from a 2014 S85 (pre-AP) to 2016 P90D (AP2). I had previously hardwired my Passport Max into the rearview mirror and would like to do something similar again. I know there have been a zillion similar posts but they are all about dash cams or older videos. Can anyone guide me to a quick video or pics or tutorial to do this? I don't want to screw this up. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. Mark Bloomston

Never mind. I figured it out.

Not that anybody responded.

3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Passing along a rumor...your AP2 sensors broadcast a radar signal. That signal is similar to the signal that LEO use, and will set off radar detectors. So you could end up self-triggering. Also heard that your broadcast will confuse LEO readings.

4. Mark Bloomston

No problems so far with the detector function. I like the 2nd part.

5. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Remember - this is a rumor I heard...may be true, may only be hopeful wishes. I was hoping someone could weigh in as to validity of this myth.

6. wayner

wayner Active Member

I am not an expert on radar, but does this mean that a car with AP2 possibly makes police radar inaccurate? I wouldn't want my defence attorney to be aware of that.

7. Barry

Barry Active Member

The police and/or FCC would never allow shared frequencies capable of interference. The signals MAY be in the same band (eg., K band), but not on the same frequency. Depending on your radar detector's capabilities, it may or nay not be able to discriminate between the two signals' frequencies and/or signal characteristics.