TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Radar detector mirror tap

Discussion in 'Model S' started by prash, May 21, 2018.

1. prash

prash Member

Recently I wanted to hardwire my radar detector to the rearview mirror in my 2017 Tesla Model S . But I could not find any decent pictures or description on how to DIY(Most descriptions were for dashcam which require constant power unlike radar detector). I have no experience with car electronics but was able to do it myself. Decided to post some pics so others can benefit.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. whitex

whitex Active Member

Why not use the unused (in US models) vehicle alarm connector in the microphone grill?

3. prash

prash Member

Any pics on where its located? As I said I have no idea about car electronics. I just turned lucky this time!

4. prash

prash Member

@whitex Looks like folks have used the port in microphone grill for mainly dashcam. I believe it provides constant power but I want the radar detector to turn off when the vehicle is parked.

• Like x 1
  5. whitex

whitex Active Member

Inside microphone grill. Sometimes tucked and taped a little bit on under the roof lining (easily accessible without any tools though).
    tesla-mic-grill.jpg

6. whitex

whitex Active Member

Yes, that is a constant 12V. Not sure how much power the mirror power can provide or how much power your detector requires. If too much, you could blow a fuse or potentially brown out the AP cameras. At least make sure which fuse it's on, in case it blows.

12V cig lighter is switched 12V, can be tapped that under the big screen near the floor last I did it.

• Like x 1
  7. kmob07

kmob07 Member

I used the constant 12v source referenced in the picture. My radar detector (passport 9500ix) has a feature to power itself off after 3-4 hours of no movement. If yours has a similar feature it’s the best of both worlds.

8. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

Prash,

make sure you add an inline fuse between the power source that you use and the Uniden R3 detector.

suggest you also get this $8.30 low profile windshield mount sold on Ebay only it will allow the R3 to be above the mirror. (see pic) I do not know why the silicone glue in my pic appears white, when it is clear showing the black metal in the daylight.

Permanent Windshield Mount For The All Recent R1, R2, R3, Uniden Radar Detector* 722589294501 | eBay

The Uniden R3 Detector has a setting to power off automatically in the settings.

Attached Files:

9. prash

prash Member

The mirror tap that I used has an inline fuse(see pic below)

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  10. prash

prash Member

Any reason you would prefer the constant 12V in the microphone grill rather than the switched 12V from the rearview mirror? Switched power source is better for radar detectors. The power source to rearview mirror appears to have nothing to do with autopilot cameras(I believe the power is only for auto dimming). Looks like these cameras have their own power cables.

11. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

I connected 2 pairs of Blackvue 750 2ch for 360 deg. recording and the Uniden R3 to the not used alarm plug with each item individually fused. The BlackVue stay on 24/7 and the R3 turns itself off. I did not want to disturb any circuits and have Tesla void a warranty repair due to outside modifications.

12. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I removed the panel on the side of the cupholder area and tapped into a switched power there for my radar detector. Ran towards the a pillar and attached the radar detector underneath my visor.

I have always used the visor mounts to keep the radar detector out of the sun. I feel like it helps it last longer by not heating the electronics and its also not visible when looking from the front of the car.

I wouldnt use the microphone power since its constant 12v. I wouldnt want the radar detector on all the time as this too might shorten lifespan

13. whitex

whitex Active Member

If someone wants the perfect solution which is switched, doesn't load the mirror power but instead powers off of the unused alarm connector, you could use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tolako-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B00VRUAHLE

Power it from constant 12V, with the control signal from the mirror tap. It would basically give you a switched 12V from the alarm connector.

I would use something like this if my detector didn't already have this functionality built in (has separate supply 12V fused power connection and small on/off 12V signal to tell it when to turn on/off - it actually takes a few seconds to gracefully power down after the 12V switches off).

14. iCharge

iCharge Member

Hey
    I wish to hardwire a R1 [ as well as my dashcam ]
    Ideally do not want to power either when parked. What are my best options ?
    Do you know if the R1 also has a setting to turn itself off ? [ cant find it in the manual ]
    thanks in advance

15. iCharge

iCharge Member

I'd love to use this if I knew how to !!! :)

16. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

Menu item: (BAT Saver) (GPS on) The default is "OFF" when you change it to 'ON" the R3 turns off the power if speed stays at 0 or if the GPS is not connected for more than an hour.

Make sure you have updated to the newest released update, Uniden has added and changed features.

You may also find this helpful.

How to Set Up & Program your Uniden R1 or Uniden R3 Radar Detectors

How to Update the Firmware on the Uniden R1 & R3 - Vortex Radar

• Informative x 1
  17. iCharge

iCharge Member

this is very helpful ! thanks :)

18. iCharge

iCharge Member

this must be a R3 only feature as R1 does not have GPS, I think

19. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

Yes worth purchasing an R3 much better unit with usable features.

20. iCharge

iCharge Member

THanks , will keep this in mind, just got the R1 for $180, when I get the R3, will move R1 to my other car