Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar detector mirror tap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I wanted to hardwire my radar detector to the rearview mirror in my 2017 Tesla Model S . But I could not find any decent pictures or description on how to DIY(Most descriptions were for dashcam which require constant power unlike radar detector). I have no experience with car electronics but was able to do it myself. Decided to post some pics so others can benefit.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 1,434
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 1,281
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 1,248
@whitex Looks like folks have used the port in microphone grill for mainly dashcam. I believe it provides constant power but I want the radar detector to turn off when the vehicle is parked.
Yes, that is a constant 12V. Not sure how much power the mirror power can provide or how much power your detector requires. If too much, you could blow a fuse or potentially brown out the AP cameras. At least make sure which fuse it's on, in case it blows.

12V cig lighter is switched 12V, can be tapped that under the big screen near the floor last I did it.

Reactions: logan
I used the constant 12v source referenced in the picture. My radar detector (passport 9500ix) has a feature to power itself off after 3-4 hours of no movement. If yours has a similar feature it’s the best of both worlds.

Prash,

make sure you add an inline fuse between the power source that you use and the Uniden R3 detector.

suggest you also get this $8.30 low profile windshield mount sold on Ebay only it will allow the R3 to be above the mirror. (see pic) I do not know why the silicone glue in my pic appears white, when it is clear showing the black metal in the daylight.

Permanent Windshield Mount For The All Recent R1, R2, R3, Uniden Radar Detector* 722589294501 | eBay

The Uniden R3 Detector has a setting to power off automatically in the settings.

Attachments

• Uniden R3 mount on glass.jpg
    Uniden R3 mount on glass.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 1,194
Prash,

make sure you add an inline fuse between the power source that you use and the Uniden R3 detector.

suggest you also get this $8.30 low profile windshield mount sold on Ebay only it will allow the R3 to be above the mirror. (see pic) I do not know why the silicone glue in my pic appears white, when it is clear showing the black metal in the daylight.

Permanent Windshield Mount For The All Recent R1, R2, R3, Uniden Radar Detector* 722589294501 | eBay

The Uniden R3 Detector has a setting to power off automatically in the settings.
The mirror tap that I used has an inline fuse(see pic below)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 10.20.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 10.20.13 PM.png
    902.1 KB · Views: 1,218
Reactions: logan
I used the constant 12v source referenced in the picture. My radar detector (passport 9500ix) has a feature to power itself off after 3-4 hours of no movement. If yours has a similar feature it’s the best of both worlds.
Any reason you would prefer the constant 12V in the microphone grill rather than the switched 12V from the rearview mirror? Switched power source is better for radar detectors. The power source to rearview mirror appears to have nothing to do with autopilot cameras(I believe the power is only for auto dimming). Looks like these cameras have their own power cables.

Any reason you would prefer the constant 12V in the microphone grill rather than the switched 12V from the rearview mirror? Switched power source is better for radar detectors. The power source to rearview mirror appears to have nothing to do with autopilot cameras(I believe the power is only for auto dimming). Looks like these cameras have their own power cables.

I connected 2 pairs of Blackvue 750 2ch for 360 deg. recording and the Uniden R3 to the not used alarm plug with each item individually fused. The BlackVue stay on 24/7 and the R3 turns itself off. I did not want to disturb any circuits and have Tesla void a warranty repair due to outside modifications.

I removed the panel on the side of the cupholder area and tapped into a switched power there for my radar detector. Ran towards the a pillar and attached the radar detector underneath my visor.

I have always used the visor mounts to keep the radar detector out of the sun. I feel like it helps it last longer by not heating the electronics and its also not visible when looking from the front of the car.

I wouldnt use the microphone power since its constant 12v. I wouldnt want the radar detector on all the time as this too might shorten lifespan

If someone wants the perfect solution which is switched, doesn't load the mirror power but instead powers off of the unused alarm connector, you could use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tolako-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B00VRUAHLE

Power it from constant 12V, with the control signal from the mirror tap. It would basically give you a switched 12V from the alarm connector.

I would use something like this if my detector didn't already have this functionality built in (has separate supply 12V fused power connection and small on/off 12V signal to tell it when to turn on/off - it actually takes a few seconds to gracefully power down after the 12V switches off).

Prash,

Hey
I wish to hardwire a R1 [ as well as my dashcam ]
Ideally do not want to power either when parked. What are my best options ?
Do you know if the R1 also has a setting to turn itself off ? [ cant find it in the manual ]
thanks in advance

If someone wants the perfect solution which is switched, doesn't load the mirror power but instead powers off of the unused alarm connector, you could use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tolako-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B00VRUAHLE

Power it from constant 12V, with the control signal from the mirror tap. It would basically give you a switched 12V from the alarm connector.

I would use something like this if my detector didn't already have this functionality built in (has separate supply 12V fused power connection and small on/off 12V signal to tell it when to turn on/off - it actually takes a few seconds to gracefully power down after the 12V switches off).
I'd love to use this if I knew how to !!! :)

Hey
I wish to hardwire a R1 [ as well as my dashcam ]
Ideally do not want to power either when parked. What are my best options ?
Do you know if the R1 also has a setting to turn itself off ? [ cant find it in the manual ]
thanks in advance

Menu item: (BAT Saver) (GPS on) The default is "OFF" when you change it to 'ON" the R3 turns off the power if speed stays at 0 or if the GPS is not connected for more than an hour.

Make sure you have updated to the newest released update, Uniden has added and changed features.

You may also find this helpful.

How to Set Up & Program your Uniden R1 or Uniden R3 Radar Detectors

How to Update the Firmware on the Uniden R1 & R3 - Vortex Radar

• Informative
Reactions: iCharge
Menu item: (BAT Saver) (GPS on) The default is "OFF" when you change it to 'ON" the R3 turns off the power if speed stays at 0 or if the GPS is not connected for more than an hour.

Make sure you have updated to the newest released update, Uniden has added and changed features.

You may also find this helpful.

How to Set Up & Program your Uniden R1 or Uniden R3 Radar Detectors

How to Update the Firmware on the Uniden R1 & R3 - Vortex Radar
this must be a R3 only feature as R1 does not have GPS, I think