Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar in New MY Austin builds? Manual Suggests Its Possible.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the AWD Austin Built MYs come with radar? Since Tesla is relying on Tesla Vision and USS are now gone, I thought we were in a gap. However, the online MY manual suggests it's possible. First time I have seen radar referenced. Does anyone know if the new Austin-built MYs have the new cameras or radar? See the reference below - #6.

1679245664690.png

That manual also describes positions of USS which we know aren’t coming back anytime soon, if at all. So it’s just a catch-all for all different configurations.
Right. Exactly my point. This is a Model Y Manual. So some Model Ys will be getting, or already have radar. Since there is no question the 2023 models being produced today do not have USS, the question is when will radar be included.

Right. Exactly my point. This is a Model Y Manual. So some Model Ys will be getting, or already have radar. Since there is no question the 2023 models being produced today do not have USS, the question is when will radar be included.
Radar is mentioned in the manual because was included in the past. It was removed around 2021. So radar being mentioned in the manual is not an indication that it’s coming back any time soon.

Maybe whenever HW4 comes to Model Y, but that might be a couple years when it’s refreshed.

Reactions: tangible1
Yes elon making that move was to keep selling cars during parts shortage. Just like the sensors that he removed from the front and rear. Vision won’t help that at all.
They say that the new radar will require new hardware 4.0, but i honestly hope they will at some point make it possible to retrofit the "old" style radar to Vision only cars to make it radar capable again.

I doubt that we will see any retrofitting from tesla. Remember they are a software company. Not a car company.
From what i have seen the radar is a bolt on part that plugs in to wiring that have been spotted on 2023 vehicles as well.

Only question is....Can it be enabled in software after retrofitting it.

Especially if they end up accepting that FSD needs the radar, then they would need to make it possible to retrofit, otherwise they would never be able to sell FSD to the Vision only crowd.

I went to drop off my MY and was talking to service manager who has been working there for past 6 years. And we were BSing about new MX that was on display. I asked well knowing that new S and X don’t come with USS, “wow they removed USS from these cars.” He said yes! Then we started talking about HW4 which the X had and Radar. I was like atleast new X and S will have radar unlike my 2023 MY. He said with a smile yours have radar as well but not activated. I beginning to tell him, no they don’t! I googled and there is no talk about radar on new 3 and Y’s. He said all of them have them. But it wasn’t advertised or leaked like S and X. I don’t know if he was just BSing me or if he was serious. Because he made few good point about HW4 which I first hand saw. Like front door not fully opens like HW3 does in X.

I went to drop off my MY and was talking to service manager who has been working there for past 6 years. And we were BSing about new MX that was on display. I asked well knowing that new S and X don’t come with USS, “wow they removed USS from these cars.” He said yes! Then we started talking about HW4 which the X had and Radar. I was like atleast new X and S will have radar unlike my 2023 MY. He said with a smile yours have radar as well but not activated. I beginning to tell him, no they don’t! I googled and there is no talk about radar on new 3 and Y’s. He said all of them have them. But it wasn’t advertised or leaked like S and X. I don’t know if he was just BSing me or if he was serious. Because he made few good point about HW4 which I first hand saw. Like front door not fully opens like HW3 does in X.
I am not going to rip my 2023 MY apart, but it would be very easy for someone that had the front bumper off anyways to see if the car has radar or not.

I call bs. Prove it.