Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar sensor failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with one of the longer-range radar sensors used for ACC had any trouble with it operating properly? Are there any situations in which you have noticed that the radar sensor's data cannot be accessed or the display panel outputs an error message regarding the radar?

I have heard that mud, rain, and snow sometimes cause dropouts but is this a trend that is generally getting better with the newer models?

I have heard that sometimes a radar sensor facing yours can cause a dropout but this probably is rare because the sensors can use different frequencies.

Also, sometimes radar sensors see ghost objects because of various reasons, such as the ground reflecting back at the radar and the radar thinking its a real target

If a radar sensor facing yours was to cause a dropout it would have to be aimed right at it and it would probably be an intentional attack. i don't think it's possible for a radar to give out "wrong" information without it actually breaking.