Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radarless Driving Report? Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this pretty interesting. I haven't watched enough of his videos to know whether or not he is a big pro-Tesla guy. I assume the comments regarding the phantom braking have to do with the upcoming V9 version of the FSD software, and am not sure how that would apply to those of us without FSD.

I found this pretty interesting. I haven't watched enough of his videos to know whether or not he is a big pro-Tesla guy. I assume the comments regarding the phantom braking have to do with the upcoming V9 version of the FSD software, and am not sure how that would apply to those of us without FSD.

Also, this is a very understandable explanation of Tesla’s vision FSD, and it sounds like phantom braking may have been solved

I drove my 2week old (VIN 199) 80 miles in a downpour yesterday, mix of two lane and interstate roads. Extensively used AP and it worked fine. Auto wipers behaved sensibly. AP limited speed once due to visibility but it was due right foggy. I took over a few times when there was enough water on road to cause hydroplaning.

Overall, I felt safer with AP engaged and me supervising during the difficult conditions. 266 Wh/mi.

I drove my 2week old (VIN 199) 80 miles in a downpour yesterday, mix of two lane and interstate roads. Extensively used AP and it worked fine. Auto wipers behaved sensibly. AP limited speed once due to visibility but it was due right foggy. I took over a few times when there was enough water on road to cause hydroplaning.

Overall, I felt safer with AP engaged and me supervising during the difficult conditions. 266 Wh/mi.
One of the interesting discovery I found on our road trip is that AP drove better than I could under heavy cross wind. AP was able to keep the car with almost no back and forth swings.

I have no prior baseline (didn't own a Y prior to radar removal), but:

Sentry mode is working as I would expect.

Just did a ~600 mile round trip, using AP for the vast majority. Worked seamlessly.

The only 'glitch' is see is that I can't get the darn Superchargers to stop showing in the map! Once you hit the button for it, they're stuck. Hopefully will be fixed in an update.

If you've never driven a radar AP car and this is your first Tesla, I think you'll be fine it's better than anything you've driven before. But if you're used to the seamless experience of the radar AP cars you'll be disappointed. Multiple sources claimed vision AP would eliminate phantom brakings. Yet just read through some TMC threads and you'll see numerous reports of that still happening. So while I think Tesla will eventually make vision AP work, they are not there yet. That was the main reason why I decided to hold off on taking delivery of my MYP this quarter. Hopefully they'll enable all functions (including driving 75mph+) back in AP soon. But right now it's half baked and neutered.

I took a 600ish mile trip earlier this week. Had a few phantom braking incidents that I had to apologize to the wife for. First PB incident was a nice skid mark left by a tractor trailer that was apparently locked up and likely trying to avoid hitting a deer. It was also on a little crest, so it must have classified it as a motorcycle or something for a few milliseconds.

It also would randomly slow down every 60-90 miles. Disengage, reengage, and everything was back to normal.

The really neat one that I saw coming was a black car about 1/10 mile ahead passing a white semi. AP anticipated an accident because the black car disappeared infront of the semi...and tried to slam on the brakes. Since I guessed it was going to happen I held the go pedal down a bit and tried feathering off it a few times to see if it had recovered. Eventually disengaged and reengaged after a few attempts there.

I would love the option to just have regular "dumb" cruise with lane departure warnings. I'm fine with AP when I'm driving on my own, but when I have two other people in the car who are anxiety-prone, and another that gets motion sick easily, it'd be better if I could have 50% control instead of 25% control.

Up north in the AM and then south on the GSP today with our MY and Tesla Vision.
Not one phantom brake event. There was traffic. There were a few times when the car in front was too far away for the screen to show them, agree though the system works best with other traffic around you. We were really impressed even thru the construction zones (ignore that 45 MPH stuff on a Sunday but the A.I. does not know). AP control good as long as the lines are well defined on the lanes. We went for miles on AP with TACC right into the heaviest traffic area of West Newark and the Parkway at Route 280. Also, GSP-Route 3. Best part, arrived rested, not stressed.

Running OTA update 18.3 right now, see these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 41
Aside from autopilot in the navigation/highway/FSD sense, what are people's experiences and thoughts about Tesla Vision just for the safety features (eg collision warning and related braking)? I'm very concerned the lack of radar will be an issue in places like Vancouver where I live, where it rains a lot, or other times in other places with fog, snow, etc.

I'm on my 3rd Tesla (all Model S's, current one is a 2019). I've always been impressed by the radar showing 2 cars in front - I still think that must provide some additional accident mitigation.

I am literally just about to buy the Model Y but am hesitant for this one issue. I've had Teslas since 2013 so am a believer but I've also experienced the long delays in AP development (we still don't really have FSD) so I'm hesitant about projected timelines where Tesla Vision will be as reliable in everyday safety features as the current radar-based functions, in as wide a range of environmental conditions.

Aside from autopilot in the navigation/highway/FSD sense, what are people's experiences and thoughts about Tesla Vision just for the safety features (eg collision warning and related braking)? I'm very concerned the lack of radar will be an issue in places like Vancouver where I live, where it rains a lot, or other times in other places with fog, snow, etc.

I'm on my 3rd Tesla (all Model S's, current one is a 2019). I've always been impressed by the radar showing 2 cars in front - I still think that must provide some additional accident mitigation.

I am literally just about to buy the Model Y but am hesitant for this one issue. I've had Teslas since 2013 so am a believer but I've also experienced the long delays in AP development (we still don't really have FSD) so I'm hesitant about projected timelines where Tesla Vision will be as reliable in everyday safety features as the current radar-based functions, in as wide a range of environmental conditions.

The issue with Tesla’s vision only FSD will not be resolved until it is proven in the real world, but in his latest AI presentation, the director of AI presented some use cases where vision only is better (without the additional confusion created by radar).
Make your own judgment if they will achieve their goals without radar!

Reactions: rjpjnk
The issue with Tesla’s vision only FSD will not be resolved until it is proven in the real world, but in his latest AI presentation, the director of AI presented some use cases where vision only is better (without the additional confusion created by radar).
Make your own judgment if they will achieve their goals without radar!
That was a great video and I believe Tesla will be successful with vision only, but the way I think of it it is misleading to claim a car without radar is better off. Adding radar can only make the best system even better. If it is "confusing" the system it is the system that needs adjustment to better learn under which situations to ignore the radar's input. It is not the radar's fault.

Has anyone driven their Radarless MY home yet? I'm interested in any Autopilot drives and how it performed. I know you're excited, but let's hear it!! :)
We drove it home 135 miles. The camera calibrated in the first 50 miles (after restarting calibration once when it appeared to hang up. Autopilot performed great on the way home. Coming from a radar AP1 car (which is still arguably a great autopilot experience) i think the Tesla Vision AP is running great. It ping ponged about 5 percent of the time. The rest it was rock solid.

We drove it home 135 miles. The camera calibrated in the first 50 miles (after restarting calibration once when it appeared to hang up. Autopilot performed great on the way home. Coming from a radar AP1 car (which is still arguably a great autopilot experience) i think the Tesla Vision AP is running great. It ping ponged about 5 percent of the time. The rest it was rock solid.
Good to know.

That was a great video and I believe Tesla will be successful with vision only, but the way I think of it it is misleading to claim a car without radar is better off. Adding radar can only make the best system even better. If it is "confusing" the system it is the system that needs adjustment to better learn under which situations to ignore the radar's input. It is not the radar's fault.
The whole point he made was that radar does NOT add value (and only makes it worse and uses resources). It all boils down to the fact that they believe human can drive with only two eyes (and with a slower, albeit smarter, computer).
Time will tell!