Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radarless Driving Report? Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole point he made was that radar does NOT add value (and only makes it worse and uses resources). It all boils down to the fact that they believe human can drive with only two eyes (and with a slower, albeit smarter, computer).
Time will tell!

The same logic that says we can remove Radar from Tesla cars would also lead us to remove headlights from cars. After all, humans walk around (slow and clumsy) at night without headlights, so the car can do it the same way right? I don't want to be limited to slow and clumsy driving at night, so I will keep my headlights thank you.

And as a human I wish I had infrared vision and radar when I am walking around at night, or in a rain storm, or a blizzard. As I have said before, I don't want a car that can see AS GOOD as me. I want a car that can see BETER THAN me.

Keith

The whole point he made was that radar does NOT add value (and only makes it worse and uses resources).
Yes, I understand this was the point of the video, and I agree that these are true statements. I just disagree with the implication from this that a car without radar can perform better than a car with radar. If adding radar makes the car perform worse it just means you haven’t figured out how to properly fuse the sensors yet. I guess it’s a subtle difference.

Reactions: linux-works
I've driven maybe 900 miles in the last 3 weeks with AP. Pretty happy with it, other than auto high beams in thin traffic at night. No major errors.
Same experience 1.5K miles in 4 weeks, the only issue is the limit of AP to 75MPH, its really frustrating, and related to it, you can't disengage only autosteer and keep the cruise speed. By the way, you can disable auto high beams after AP is engaged.

And as a human I wish I had infrared vision and radar when I am walking around at night, or in a rain storm, or a blizzard. As I have said before, I don't want a car that can see AS GOOD as me. I want a car that can see BETER THAN me.
I agree that having those skills would be fun. But consider that some animals use sonar. Bats make high frequency noises and use that for echolocation of flying insects. Bats also have large ears. But then, in contrast, look at their poor eyesight. Even in nature, redundancy in the sensory system tends to favor the best senses and often weakens the others.

I'm not saying that having more sensors in the mix is a bad thing. It's just that with every added data point, the computer has more information to consider. In the case of radar, the gain over pure vision apparently isn't worth the increased complexity.

Yes, I understand this was the point of the video, and I agree that these are true statements. I just disagree with the implication from this that a car without radar can perform better than a car with radar. If adding radar makes the car perform worse it just means you haven’t figured out how to properly fuse the sensors yet. I guess it’s a subtle difference.
Sorry, but I'll believe the guy with years of research to back him up.

I seriously wonder if Tesla understands how BAD AP is right now... The no radar is going to come back and bite them
Except it's not, anecdotally. There are as many posts here about positive experiences as negative - no, I didn't count them but that's the way it appears. So at worst, it is inconsistent - but should get better over time as the fleet of radar-less cars expands and feeds back real world data.

Without any data to support it, the no radar seems like a chip shortage issue and sometime in the next 12 months AP will get radar back. Using just eyes/vision seems insane. Now once radar comes back, what happens to all of the 500k cars that were sold without it? $$$

@dnstommy the timing may have been pushed up due to the chip shortage, but Elon has been saying that vision-only was the right way forward for a while now. I would be surprised to see radar return.

Downloaded 2021.4.18.10 with the increased AP speed of 80. Drives pretty good for a 'neutered' car! :)
Just downloaded that today myself. I hadn't had a chance to do any highway driving, so the 75 mph limit didn't effect me... now that the limit is 80 mph it matches up with local road conditions better :) I am looking forward to trying it out on the highway this weekend.

Keith

Reactions: DanDi58
Has anyone driven their Radarless MY home yet? I'm interested in any Autopilot drives and how it performed. I know you're excited, but let's hear it!! :)
Hi, I just got my MY I love how it’s drive, I live out on the country and I tried the autopilot to go home and I was amazed how nice it drives, I was wondering if it stops in the stop signs and it does. I can not wait to try it on a freeway

Reactions: DanDi58
Hi, I just got my MY I love how it’s drive, I live out on the country and I tried the autopilot to go home and I was amazed how nice it drives, I was wondering if it stops in the stop signs and it does. I can not wait to try it on a freeway
If you purchased FSD it will stop. But if you just have standard autopilot, it will happily blow right through them. :)

And during the day in clear weather I don't doubt that it is just as good. I think EVERYONE who has concerns is worried about non-optimal situations. Night time driving with rain or snow are my only real worries with the new system vs with radar. Trust me on this, I own a radarless MYP... I WANT it to be at least as good, hopefully superior and I am eager to see that result... now we just need a bunch of real world night time winter results... I think we will have to wait a few months for those :D

Keith

if snow covers radar sensor, it will stop working. that's why a lot of car manufactures make radar sensors with built in heating element, but heavy and stick snow will easily overcome that heating element power level, so the radar still does not work in that situation which is very common.