Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radarless Driving Report? Anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MYLR owner as of this week, no FSD, and can't compare it to radar because I haven't driven a Tesla other than this one ... but concur with what most people are seeing here. It's VERY unreliable at night when off the highway. Even on roads that appear to be well marked, at night autosteer will drop every few hundred feet, where it worked much better in daylight on the same stretch. The Auto high beams flicker on and off (I think maye the reflection of the light from road signs confuses it, making it think it's seeing a car's headlights?).

I adore the car for all the reasons you'd expect - it's all true. But I do think AP is oversold, especially at night. Hopefully I'll get a better feel for the system and learn its quirks. It's far from seamless.
Well, they will continue to refine and improve it via SW updates. And it's really designed primarily for highways so that is the best use case.

Pretty drama free so far. One instance of phantom braking when I was driving on the highway with a blinding rising sun.

I have FSD. One two exits it took the exit ramp HOT so needed to take over.

Really stupid question - I have lane change enabled. Am I able to initiate a lane change by using the turn signal? I've tried and nothing happens, so I've been turning it off changing lanes then starting again

I had 2 Honda's (Civic Accord) one M3 and now the MY with full FSD no radar and i can easily say the MY is the worst performer right now in terms of the adaptive cruise control feature.
Often i get phantom breaking... Specially when getting out of tunnels, it's like the sun is blinding the camera for 1 or 2 secs which causes the car to break for absolutely nothing, plus the car screams at you to take back control. With a radar the car would know that there's nothing in front of it. My 2 Honda's never had this problem neither the M3 because radar was involve. I'm very disappointed about this particular feature which is adaptive cruise control. I really hope future software update could fix that but i doubt it will be as good as if we still had the radar.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I had 2 Honda's (Civic Accord) one M3 and now the MY with full FSD no radar and i can easily say the MY is the worst performer right now in terms of the adaptive cruise control feature.
Often i get phantom breaking... Specially when getting out of tunnels, it's like the sun is blinding the camera for 1 or 2 secs which causes the car to break for absolutely nothing, plus the car screams at you to take back control. With a radar the car would know that there's nothing in front of it. My 2 Honda's never had this problem neither the M3 because radar was involve. I'm very disappointed about this particular feature which is adaptive cruise control. I really hope future software update could fix that but i doubt it will be as good as if we still had the radar.
It does the same phantom braking with mine (with radar).

Reactions: tstolze
My biggest gripe with AP (no radar) is the auto bright lights. In a rural interstate, I found that I'm flashing on coming traffic too often as the auto brights would come on and off. Since I have no radar, I don't have the ability to turn off auto bright if I want to use AP.
Anyone else having issues with Auto bright lights being too sensitive?

My biggest gripe with AP (no radar) is the auto bright lights. In a rural interstate, I found that I'm flashing on coming traffic too often as the auto brights would come on and off. Since I have no radar, I don't have the ability to turn off auto bright if I want to use AP.
It's anywhere that is fairly low traffic and my car flashes people nonstop too. I'm waiting for someone to road rage me for it.

Last edited:
So my new MYLR VIN 199xxx has about 100 miles on it. I have been unable to get it to autosteer. Cruise control works fine, but on the interstate going 70mph, and on major 4-lane road going 45mph, I get the message "Autosteer is currently unavailable." This occurs during the day in clear weather. Not once has autosteer enabled. Is this a malfunction or a feature of the new radar-less system?

So my new MYLR VIN 199xxx has about 100 miles on it. I have been unable to get it to autosteer. Cruise control works fine, but on the interstate going 70mph, and on major 4-lane road going 45mph, I get the message "Autosteer is currently unavailable." This occurs during the day in clear weather. Not once has autosteer enabled. Is this a malfunction or a feature of the new radar-less system?
The places where I notice autosteer won't turn on (ie the little steering wheel next to the speed limit won't show up) is while on a curve, going over 75mph, and on streets with ambiguous or non-existant lane lines. Outside of that it shows up no problem on my radarless Y.

I like how this thread is full of people saying "its way better than my previous non-tesla car".

And "it'll get better, just as Papa Elon promised! Even though we are 3 iterations into the SW in less than 2 months, and still no noticeable improvements to make it anywhere comparable to a 3 month old Model Y with Radar and passanger side lower lumbar"

You should all convince the Airforce and Navy that it should ditch radar on the F35 for a pure camera system. It would save the US tax payer billions over the life of the program, and I'm sure the pilots wont mind, knowing we saved all that money. Or, be like Tesla and charge them thousands more for less capability. I could see Papa Elon selling it as, "we have hundreds of thousands of hours of data from the fleet of F35 pilots. No one has had and air to air missile fired at them, so we removed the missile defense system to save weight, and its really just better now, so we raised prices an extra million"

Driving up to the Pocono Mountains today from Philadelphia on Interstate 476 North. Upon approaching the tunnel autopilot slammed on the breaks. Must have thought there was a wall ahead since the tunnel looked completely black and small mountain ahead. I was able to hit the accelerator in time and no rear ending. I wonder if radar would have known there was nothing solid approaching the tunnel.

On the way back home I was anticipating a similar phantom brake going southbound into the tunnel. And autopilot handled it with no issues.

The rest of both legs of the trip AP did a great job.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Did you enable Autosteer in the settings for Autopilot?

• Helpful
Reactions: cbo111
Driving up to the Pocono Mountains today from Philadelphia on Interstate 476 North. Upon approaching the tunnel autopilot slammed on the breaks. Must have thought there was a wall ahead since the tunnel looked completely black and small mountain ahead. I was able to hit the accelerator in time and no rear ending. I wonder if radar would have known there was nothing solid approaching the tunnel.

On the way back home I was anticipating a similar phantom brake going southbound into the tunnel. And autopilot handled it with no issues.

The rest of both legs of the trip AP did a great job.
AI at work maybe?

You should all convince the Airforce and Navy that it should ditch radar on the F35 for a pure camera system.

I'm no fanboy, but this is a really out of place comparison. Radar in flight has completely different use cases than in driving, to such an extent that you cannot compare them.

I'm trying to find a better alternative, but can't really come with one. Still radar in flight is very different than radar in cars. You could even say that radar in cars is bad because it's too short distance and too much clutter, similar to how vision in BVR engagements is useless because, well, beyond-visual-range.

I'm no fanboy, but this is a really out of place comparison. Radar in flight has completely different use cases than in driving, to such an extent that you cannot compare them.

I'm trying to find a better alternative, but can't really come with one. Still radar in flight is very different than radar in cars. You could even say that radar in cars is bad because it's too short distance and too much clutter, similar to how vision in BVR engagements is useless because, well, beyond-visual-range.
It was sarcasm ;)

Yes this is a problem. I find that Autopilot at night on the Interstate is basically unusable because the auto high beam just doesn't work there. I'm constantly having to exit Autopilot to turn off the high beams and eventually just stopped using it. And the constant on/off even when it does work correctly is so annoying. The nanosecond it decides oncoming traffic passes it turns the high beam back on, even if there's another car coming that it'll turn off for one second later. It's just constantly flashing on and off.

Yes this is a problem. I find that Autopilot at night on the Interstate is basically unusable because the auto high beam just doesn't work there. I'm constantly having to exit Autopilot to turn off the high beams and eventually just stopped using it. And the constant on/off even when it does work correctly is so annoying. The nanosecond it decides oncoming traffic passes it turns the high beam back on, even if there's another car coming that it'll turn off for one second later. It's just constantly flashing on and off.
I don’t know about you guys or
If it’s a bug… (a good bug in this case) but on my 2021 M3 (no radar) with the latest .3 update… once I activate autopilot, I can turn off auto high beam and autopilot stays engaged. It’s been a great help at night for sure!