Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Radical Patent Move" Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. From the article:
"All electric car manufacturers will benefit if a universal charging standard is adopted."

Where did the author get that stupid idea? Nobody knows how to charge at 1.21 jiggawatts yet so it would be premature to adopt any universal charging standard that would stand in the way of ultrafast charging. Sharing Supercharger technology is not about setting a universal standard. It is about allowing the industry to catch up with the leader. The idea is to keep pushing the technological limits until charging a car is 1000 times faster than filling one with gas, hydrogen or anything else.

PS. 1.21 GW charging could give you a range of 1000 miles in under 1 second. It will happen in the future according to one Hollywood movie, or was it in the past?

I'm not sure why you feel this comment was so stupid. Adopting a single standard for technology available TODAY would benefit everybody. Nothing prevents the adoption of another standard in the future if and when battery charge rates increase by a factor of 100...

What I DID feel was foolish in the article was referring to Elon's Hyperloop idea as a new form of "air travel". Technically that may be true in that the cars ride on a cushion of air, but that's not what people think of as "air travel.... it's much more akin to a train.

Tomorrow at 10am SPT (or SET) when Elon Musk will reveal Some news about the Tesla patents, it will be Friday the 13th (in most parts of the world). That's what I meant to say.

Benz, I was just kidding but may be I'm confused now. I thought Elon's Twitter post was last night (Wednesday June 11th @ 10:16 pm PST) which would me the announcement is today Thursday June 12th @ 10 am PST. I guess we will find out in an hour.

Has anyone tried to put the number of superchargers required in US if there are 1M tesla cars running? I guess the truth to today's announcement may lie in details like this 5-10 years down the road.

I would love to have Nissan adopt superchargers as they are the only one ahead of the rest in EVs. If they join, it would almost like be the standard (thinking 4G LTE vs WiMax fight - Verizon LTE move made it a standard).

It looks like I conceded too early. They just opened up all their patents.

The market reaction so far is deafening silence.

elon is not at liberty to give away shareholder property... there will be law suits from shareholders... count on it.

But i gotta say, when people say invest in innovative companies, and you are paying for an innovation premium. I think with TSLA, you are getting your money's worth in innovation: both in product, strategy and practice. Elon's not afraid. Makes a great story... not sure about investment though.

Last edited:
If there are lawsuits, they will go the way of the earlier one that accused Tesla of misrepresenting value. Before any case went to trial, the share price was higher than the price used as reference for loss. You can't sue for loss of value when the value, in reasonable stock market time, is now higher than when you bought. By the same token, the market reaction is pretty much as I suggested in my post #41 of this thread in that the price has declined initially from the $5 or so it was up, but it isn't the end of the day and the news hasn't been fully digested - as is the story with most Musk announcements.

This is good news. It may seem scary to some, but manufacturing the batteries is not something the other manufacturers will be doing tomorrow and Musk already has states begging for his business. So they can all build their Model S equivalents and will still need to pay to use the SC as well as buy the batteries from Tesla. Perhaps some of the same worthless lot of predator lawyers who have concocted absurd cases before will generate a class action against Tesla for opening up the patents, but it won't go anywhere. By the time the case hits the courts, the industry is going to be scrambling to build their own EV and happily pay Tesla for batteries. Investors who make money don't complain.

Well, speaking of title wording, the phrase "radical patent move" is utterly inappropriate. This is not radical, it is truly ICONOCLASTIC.

"What a fascinating modern age we live in". And 99 TeslaPoints to the first correct response as to where that​ comes from!