Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio and Spotify keep freezing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Are any of you getting issues with Spotify and the radio freezing on your model 3's yet? I find that quite often they'll just stop playing or if I'm listening to the radio it keeps glitching really badly. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm in a bad reception area but it seems to happen on all of my trips.

Would love to know if anyone else gets these issues.
I’ve got issues on an MX with the whole audio system freezing for 30s or so then resumes if I try playing a track again. I’m on 2019.20.4.2

Spotify on our MCU 1 X use to freeze alot, but since about late April/May it seems work every time, infact I cannot remember the last time I had to reset the MCU.

Even the web browser is working again with the latest updates, and very usable.

rural model S owner here, in the west country. Both spotify and tunein can be very *variable* when I'm in remote locations. I'm pretty sure its related to coverage, not an actual bug.
I dont listen to the radio enough to comment tbh.

That's interesting. I have never heard a clear DAB signal sound better than a clear FM signal.

DAB is definitely a better source than FM in a Tesla, but Spotify is much better than either (and far better than any in-car radio I've ever heard) so I very rarely listen to radio music anymore.

FWIW DAB is also much better than FM in our 2014 Nissan. I realise the source quality is much the same, maybe even slightly worse on DAB vs ultra-clear FM signal, but I think most in-car systems are now more focused on DAB so the FM receiver is rapidly becoming a cheap afterthought.

Both spotify and tunein can be very *variable* when I'm in remote locations

Me too in my rural location. There is a 200M stretch nearby where I can't get anything (nor FM). No problem at that spot with e.g. FM in any other car I've had

DAB and Spotify is patchy. Very few places where it drops out, but of course it is annoying (compared to FM) to have a break in something interesting on the radio :)

Spotify is much better than either

I agree. I don't have Premium Audio (Model-S) and when doing Demo first thing I do is to put Spotify on and get Poor Unsuspecting Referral-Clickbait :) friend to "choose anything you like". They are always impressed with sound quality.

I haven't really done a comparison of TuneIn vs. FM/DAB. Generally speaking DAB annoys me for the amount of lag-time it takes to get hooked up initially, and most of radio I listen to is voice, not music, so thus I don't suppose I have noticed audio quality

next time I'm out and about I'll experiment.

On Model-S I have no issue with Bluetooth Audio from Phone (kids have playlists on their phones that apparently "all adults should enjoy listening to when in the car")

How does DAB do when it’s marginal signal? Does it degrade gracefully like FM does or screech and warble like some digital services do.

Not 100% sure, but I think it caries on right up to the point where it can't cope and then drops out altogether. The error-correction inherent in the digital signal means it copes with a lot of "data damage", but there are bindspots (which FM still manages to wander into)

I find that the options listed on the screen, other than 'My Library', disappear when I'm using my account but return when I log out and use the Tesla prem account.
Admittedly I've only had a premium account for a week that should be enough time for the account to update with any new music.
(M3P in the UK)