Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio annoyances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Randomly I had album art appear while listening to a random radio station today...

I was having an argument with the voice commands trying to get Capital Scotland to play and one of the capital stations it decided to switch too had album art and the correct song information displayed... (I think it might have been London capital but might not have been)...

Going by this I wonder if it only displays correctly if the station broadcasts the info in a very specific way... I note that the stations I usually listen too tend to broadcast their name - DJ name and then occasionally the song / artist details.

It was also the album art that displayed not the station logo.

• Informative
Reactions: gcm3
Given the changes to media in 2020.40.10.1, I thought I’d do some searches on my SSD drive. That was a failure. Spotify found what I didn’t want even though I was on USB.

I thought I’d add Gold UK as a favourite on Tunein radio. Found it, made it a favourite. It would play. In fact play was greyed out.
I was connected to WiFi.
Is this a euro sim problem or is just not integrated properly?

I had a play with voice search when on of USB media - 2020.44.10.1. Even though voice got the correct search terms, nothing found on USB. I didn't bother to try direct keyed searches, but I think one was manually triggered as a side effect of a voice search, but still nothing.

So far, disappointingly, it seems like the ability to search for artists and/or tracks on USB is limited or possibly even totally non functional.

Randomly I had album art appear while listening to a random radio station today...

I was having an argument with the voice commands trying to get Capital Scotland to play and one of the capital stations it decided to switch too had album art and the correct song information displayed... (I think it might have been London capital but might not have been)...

Going by this I wonder if it only displays correctly if the station broadcasts the info in a very specific way... I note that the stations I usually listen too tend to broadcast their name - DJ name and then occasionally the song / artist details.

It was also the album art that displayed not the station logo.
London Capital FM on DAB does have "slideshow" only station I have seen with this service.

When I got my M3 I was impressed the first time I said "Play Radio Swiss Jazz" (my favorite online radio station). The car brought it up immediately with the RSJ logo etc and seemed to have a favorite station listing. Now when I say that it brings up a Spotify music mix called 'Radio Swiss Jazz' always playing the same list of tunes, and I cannot find anyway of getting back to the live online version.

Any ideas?

Is there any way of getting rid of all the media crap and just having radio stations or link to the phone. The screens are so complex and with so many choices it is impossible to use when driving - plus where I live there is no cellular reception (lake district)
Swipe it to the mini player version (drag it down to about an inch or 2 from bottom) and it just displays your favourite radio stations and recently played Spotify music?

You can also use the left button on the wheel to flick through saved stations and If it understands your accent you can also just press the button on the wheel and say name of the station you want.

Is there any way of getting rid of all the media crap and just having radio stations or link to the phone. The screens are so complex and with so many choices it is impossible to use when driving - plus where I live there is no cellular reception (lake district)
You can select which sources are displayed in the settings. You have to have a minimum of three. Personally, I have Radio/DAB, Phone and TuneIn. Works a treat. Caraoke (no thanks) and Spotify (don’t use it) are hidden.

Gutted I can't get Radio Paradise on TuneIn because of the PRS dispute that has been going on for months.
Gee that's a disappointment! I can't get most (?any?) of the actual US radio stations I had saved in my TuneIn account as favourites any more (I'm in Australia), but I *can* get Radio Paradise via TuneIn in the car just fine - both the Main Mix and the Rock Mix. I would have thought RP would be ok world-wide because they aren't a "radio station" as such (and pay royalties at the (higher) streaming-service rate, not the radio-station rate), or conversely if RP is blocked for you then I would have thought it would be blocked for me in Australia too, as the US-based "actual radio stations" on TuneIn are now.

Maybe drop a message to Bill on the RP website in case it's something he can push with TuneIn to get it un-blocked for everyone...

Maybe drop a message to Bill on the RP website in case it's something he can push with TuneIn to get it un-blocked for everyone...
He's well aware of it, it's some crazy local dispute between TuneIn and the PRS that has been rolling on for ages. There's some statement from RP kicking around, etc. It's not the end of the world. If I really want to, I can stream from the RP app on my phone. It's just the TuneIn integration would be a small quality of life thing. nbd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot