Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio available for MCU upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this on Facebook the other day...I thought this was good news since I'll probably be upgrading once available for scheduling (2016 AP1). Those looking to upgrade to MCU2 or already upgraded to MCU2, there will be an option to retain FM and Sirius XM in Q4 2020... copied from Tesla site.

upload_2020-10-20_10-31-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-20_10-29-58.png
    upload_2020-10-20_10-29-58.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH and Nosken
Another update...To keep your radio will cost an additional $500! Ugh. So 3K to keep my car functional, along with unknown expensive repairs after warranty :(

View attachment 603466
Kinda silly that they don’t reduce the price AT LEAST $100 if you have it done at the same time as the MCU2 install. I assume the SC will have to tear apart the same dashboard trim pieces to install the radio as when they put in my MCU2. I love Tesla but sometimes I don’t understand their business model. Since I really don’t miss FM that much (and don’t have a Sirius XM subscription), I doubt if I’ll ever get this done.

MCU 1 here. I would do it all, if I could get siriius...but looks like you already need antenna or else cannot do.

There are still places where you do not get cell reception! ..,,and lots of them where I live.

Elon literally just launched satellites for business, yet cannot get satellite radio on their car (unless aftermarket or ordered originally).

MCU 1 here. I would do it all, if I could get siriius...but looks like you already need antenna or else cannot do.

There are still places where you do not get cell reception! ..,,and lots of them where I live.

Elon literally just launched satellites for business, yet cannot get satellite radio on their car (unless aftermarket or ordered originally).
Unless I misread the original post, I believe the receiver and antennas for FM and Sirius XM are part of the $500 install.

Unless I misread the original post, I believe the receiver and antennas for FM and Sirius XM are part of the $500 install.
It says "only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas". I'm not sure what that qualification means. Did the first batch of cars not have the XM antenna if you didn't order the premium audio package, for instance?

Just found this XM antenna clarification on Teslatap. It wasn't included on all Model X until mid-2018...

XM Radio in Teslas – TeslaTap

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
It says "only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas". I'm not sure what that qualification means. Did the first batch of cars not have the XM antenna if you didn't order the premium audio package, for instance?

Just found this XM antenna clarification on Teslatap. It wasn't included on all Model X until mid-2018...

In order to get XM in my 2015 85D you had to order the sunroof/prem audio.

yes, for the model x you needed to order premium sound. I bought used and my 2016 model x did not have that. I was unaware of this or else would have waited. I can do an after market install, like I had in my 1995 Taurus, and even then can’t use screen to control. I am unsure why there just cannot be an app under music and have service install antenna.

I hate the idea of paying another $500 to go back where I was...but if I must. I see no mention of the add on being HD Radio as we used to have. Many AM signals are broadcast on HD 2, 3 etc. so it gets around not having AM. Anybody know if they mean HD FM?

I'm nervous about paying $3k to update the car, especially since it's pretty much out of warranty. I submitted a request to upgrade this past Friday. Went with the mobile service option (hopeful), but then within a few hours they moved my appointment to a service center. We'll see what happens in the coming days/weeks.

Our 2017 S (HW3/MCU1) has 36K miles and has the extra 4 year warranty. We plan to keep it until 8 years or near 100K miles (whichever comes first), so we have a lot of life left in the vehicle, making it easier to justify $3K for the MCU2/new display/radio upgrade.

As a point of reference, other manufacturers would require you to purchase an entirely new vehicle to get the extra features added with MCU2. $3K doesn't seem so bad from that perspective...

I'm nervous about paying $3k to update the car, especially since it's pretty much out of warranty. I submitted a request to upgrade this past Friday. Went with the mobile service option (hopeful), but then within a few hours they moved my appointment to a service center. We'll see what happens in the coming days/weeks.
Well, the MCU2 upgrade should come with a 2yr 25k mile warranty.