Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio available for MCU upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an estimate from Tesla today. Total breakdown is roughly... MCU2 $2500 + $200 labor + $500 radio + $230 tax = $3430 Makes me nervous as the price keeps going higher than I anticipated. Wife did give me the green light so guess that's good.

You can save $250 if you agree to keep your current console display.

Our 2017 S is scheduled for the infotainment upgrade with radio on 11/17 - and elected to go for the full $3K - and get a new console display at the same time.

I got this email a few minutes ago stating I qualify for a zero cost emmc repair. Email sounds like it applies to anyone w/ pre-March 2018 S/X. I just modified my service appointment for MCU upgrade...removed the MCU upgrade and asked for emmc to be repaired. I hope they don't cancel my appointment for some weird reason!

I got this email a few minutes ago stating I qualify for a zero cost emmc repair.

Can you share what it says? Is it a pro-active repair, or just extended warranty on the eMMC?

I just modified my service appointment for MCU upgrade...removed the MCU upgrade and asked for emmc to be repaired. I hope they don't cancel my appointment for some weird reason!

Has your eMMC already failed?

Can you share what it says? Is it a pro-active repair, or just extended warranty on the eMMC?

Has your eMMC already failed?
Failed? Not sure. I get the random black screens after I run into a store (5 min) and come bake to the car. Car will take more than 15min to reboot main screen.

Here's the email cut and paste...

SCM-Vhuo_h2biEugE8pm_tgoSXA_LIK7zekQ2KESMp-paQi8gvmZLJ27afr8ZcgeKQMridMQU37KtBB1FTlbENxuX3CAz959Qg7ez3Q7etNJp4cLGjdSz0_3ToSKqXT2JwN10RTSgsQmEV_uQHFftdrEsGoqEnSRggwIMkgzA-NImTlEkz1YDXj47g=s0-d-e1-ft

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
LEARN MORE
Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Received cost estimate for the Infotainment Upgrade with Radio scheduled for next Tuesday - and confirmed the invoice contains the extra $500 for the radio upgrade!

I've noticed that our 2017 S (HW3/MCU1) takes a very, very, very, very, very long time to do a restart. This wasn't the case up until recently. I noticed the very long restart times after the HW3 processor was installed - so either having the FSD computer with MCU1 or something a software update is causing the MCU to take seemingly forever to restart.

Plus, I've started seeing the MCU screen stay black periodically when returning to the vehicle, requiring a restart to recover (which takes a very long time...).

Another issue that happened since 20.44 was updated - the Tesla app (on multiple devices) can no longer connect to our 2017 S. The app is able to connect to our 2018 X reliably. If I perform a POWER OFF followed by a MCU restart, the app is able to connect for a few minutes. I suspect that when the vehicle goes into sleep mode, it loses connection - and doesn't recover.

Since our MCU1 is scheduled to be replaced next week, it's probably not worth effort to get the app connection failures fixed, since we'll be on new hardware and software in a week...

My MCU1 - MCU2 upgrade was $2,500 plus tax. Did that last week. Didn't know about the radio upgrade until today or I would have had it done at the same time. It is scheduled for next week. $500 plus tax. I understand that it doesn't matter if you do them both at the same time or now, still the same price. Only wish I had known or they had told me it was available so it would save a trip to the SC and save a tear down a second time. So far completely happy with the MCU2 and AP3 upgrade.

Just an update. My appointment for yesterday got pushed out to Thanksgiving week. Tesla said there were part delays.

Does anyone what kind of improvement emmc replacement provides? I understand it won't be nearly as nice as MCU2, but curious if anyone had this done. When I first got the car the main screen worked fine and voice recognition was flawless. After several updates voice recognition is pretty much unusable. Wasn't sure if the hardware can't keep up w/ software or if it's just the emmc that's preventing the voice recognition from working.