Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio available for MCU upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went into SC for my appointment last week. They told me they still didn't have the radio part so I would need to move my appointment. I needed a new MCU bad so I just asked to have that upgraded. They said I could add the radio once it comes in. So now I have a new MCU! It's amazing. Super fast, everything just works so smoothly. What's interesting is now that it works so well, I use the streaming options more. It kind of makes me want to reconsider NOT going for the radio in the future.

I did my upgrade early November and almost went back the next week to have the radio installed, but after reading others experiences I decided not to. I listen to stations in FL, MA and NH streaming and traveled about 1200 miles since then on a road trip and so far haven't missed the radio. Since it cost the same whenever you have it installed (provided there's not a price increase) I'd wait a month or two and then decide. I am headed on another 1200 mile trip the end of the month and will stick with the TuneIn and other streaming. Netflix and Hulu also nice while charging.

Reactions: bionichomer
I did my upgrade early November and almost went back the next week to have the radio installed, but after reading others experiences I decided not to. I listen to stations in FL, MA and NH streaming and traveled about 1200 miles since then on a road trip and so far haven't missed the radio. Since it cost the same whenever you have it installed (provided there's not a price increase) I'd wait a month or two and then decide. I am headed on another 1200 mile trip the end of the month and will stick with the TuneIn and other streaming. Netflix and Hulu also nice while charging.
I’m with you. I had my MCU changed out in June, which took away my Sat and FM radio capability. So far, I haven’t missed it one bit. If I need FM, I find the stations I want online and stream them.

Reactions: Huskyf and Stin121
Made the appointment for the infotainment upgrade - with radio - two months ago - and still waiting for the radio module part to come into the local service center.

Have again rescheduled for the next available appt - which is a month from now...

After having my new MCU for a week or so and using only streaming, i find it's got a few hiccups. Sometimes it buffers in the middle of a song, but though not too often. One thing that is annoying is that sometimes a song will play and about 10 seconds in, it will skip the song even though I didn't touch any buttons. Did any of you have similar issues? If I had to estimate, this probably happens maybe once every 20 or so songs. Don't get me wrong, absolutely loving the super fast interface.

Anyhow, I got a text from the the SC late last night. I'm supposed to get my radio installed tomorrow! Hope the install goes as planned.

Had originally planned to get the MCU plus radio upgrade done in November. Delayed to December because the radio was on back order. Rescheduled to mid-January - and they've now received the radio - so should be good to go this time.

I just got my MCU2 and Radio tuner upgrade for my AP2.0 upgraded to Ap3.0 X installed today. I did not have the premium sound originally and did not have XM radio. The car now shows XM radio in the infotainment but it is not functional. I am trying to determine if maybe I had the XM antenna and radio and it was not turned on or did Tesla install the wrong Infotainment unit in my car?

The XM preview does not work? Should that work even without a subscription?

I did not have the premium sound originally and did not have XM radio.
It is my understanding that the XM retrofit only works for cars that originally had XM. From Tesla’s infotainment upgrade info page:
35E72DC0-E929-4A14-910F-C1BB736BF1C3.jpeg