Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I love my 3 but I've been experiencing a few minor issues with the radio. About 50% of the time when I start my car up the radio will not be on the station (in my favorites list) I was last listening to. The issue also happens with my podcast favorite stations.
More troubling however is that many times even when it comes up on the last podcast station it will not play at all, acting like the radio is muted. It will remain in this condition until I change podcasts. Just wondering if others are experiencing similar behavior or if there is a problem with my particular radio?

To be clear are you talking about the FM radio?
So I'm just wondering should the radio remember the last station I played when I turned off the car or not? Mine doesn't remember and comes up on any favorite station and I'd like to know if that is normal behavior. The completely muted audio when powering up on a podcast, (whether it is the last podcast I played or not) also seems like abnormal behavior. Any responses would be appreciated.

Same issue here, random selection of station on startup sometimes. Sometimes no volume until I reboot.
Well thanks for the response, sort of good to know that it isn't just my radio that behaves this way. Now is this behavior the same for all Model 3 radios or is there something wrong with ours? A side note when my audio mutes on start up I change podcasts or stations and it fixes itself. I'm guessing a reboot would also work but either solution is a pain and should not be needed. Hopefully others will weigh in.

probably also worth submitting a bug report in the car and feedback to support to amen sure they know people are noticing this bug.
I'm working to figure out an odd notification bug that keeps telling me the car is charged - multiple times. Reporting progress to support as I go.

Happens to me too, almost every time I get in the car. The correct favorite preset will be selected and displays as playing, but it will be tuned to the the next station over. So I have to switch to another preset and then back to the original one to correct it.

Happens to me too, almost every time I get in the car. The correct favorite preset will be selected and displays as playing, but it will be tuned to the the next station over. So I have to switch to another preset and then back to the original one to correct it.
So now the question becomes does this bad radio/audio behavior happen on all Model 3's or just a few? I had read in some other posts of problems with the radio that required a hardware fix but they were different than this problem. Seems like this may be more of a software problem than hardware but maybe not.

Ugh! I thought it was just me. Happened a few times today. I come back to my car and I never listen to FM but it starts up on 105.9. I’m like what the hell. So I saved a station that I’m at least ok with. 102.7 in my favorites to see if it would start up on KIIS FM. load and behold it stays up on 105.9 again. My wife said you prob left it there. I’m telling her NO I know what i left it on.

Stupid car.

I haven’t had any issues with the music not starting up where I left off or a different station being selected, but I suspect that’s because I’m listening to Slacker 95% of the time. Haven’t listened to FM in many years...

So I love my 3 but I've been experiencing a few minor issues with the radio. About 50% of the time when I start my car up the radio will not be on the station (in my favorites list) I was last listening to. The issue also happens with my podcast favorite stations.
More troubling however is that many times even when it comes up on the last podcast station it will not play at all, acting like the radio is muted. It will remain in this condition until I change podcasts. Just wondering if others are experiencing similar behavior or if there is a problem with my particular radio?

Have seen the same thing on my 2012 S it's hit-and-miss sometimes it works good for a month at a time the next time it will have a mind of its own for several days.

I have had several instances where the car turns back on and the FM radio has automatically changed to the first station listed in my favorites, which is the LAST station that I had saved. If this is a common problem, then I'm going to re-arrange my list and save my favorite station last. I don't mind too much having the station change on me from the last thing I was listening to but it is a little annoying.

Hold the right hand button (for voice commands) day “bug report “ and immediately submit the report.
So... press the right button and say
“Bug report, the radio station is not saved between drives and keeps defaulting to Kenny Loggins every morning” or something like that.

Hold the right hand button (for voice commands) day “bug report “ and immediately submit the report.
So... press the right button and say
“Bug report, the radio station is not saved between drives and keeps defaulting to Kenny Loggins every morning” or something like that.
So it's beginning to sound like this issue is more wide spread than I originally thought and is not unique to my car. Now if everyone with the problem takes Twiglett's suggestion and files a bug report this problem just might be addressed.
By the way, the second audio issue happened to me twice today on my drive from Dallas to Austin, all audio came up muted (navigation and podcast) though the volume control was unchanged. The fix was to change to any other podcast or radio station. I'll file this one also but it will help if others follow suit.

Problem still happening. No consistent timing on the problem, but just about every other time I leave the car and return, the radio starts on one of my slacker favorites rather than the last station I was listening to (be it FM station or other slacker selection).

I picked up my model 3 a few weeks ago, which was built last month. I noticed the same thing and did a quick search to see if anybody else has this issue. Sure enough, I stumble upon this thread. It certainly must be a bug. I’m sure it’ll eventually be fixed, though sometimes annoying when it happens. First world problems....

So I'm just wondering should the radio remember the last station I played when I turned off the car or not? Mine doesn't remember and comes up on any favorite station and I'd like to know if that is normal behavior. The completely muted audio when powering up on a podcast, (whether it is the last podcast I played or not) also seems like abnormal behavior. Any responses would be appreciated.
Mine does the same thing.....I will be listening to Slacker when turning the car off, but an AM station will be playing when I turn the car back on. Weird.

Problem still happening. No consistent timing on the problem, but just about every other time I leave the car and return, the radio starts on one of my slacker favorites rather than the last station I was listening to (be it FM station or other slacker selection).
My car does the exact opposite.....listening to Slacker, but an AM station is playing when I turn the car back on.