Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio keeps turning on after locking car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize it's due to the fact that I have a seatbelt buckled in the rear for my son's carseat.

Apparently the car keeps thinking there is someone in the car, even when I lock it. I would sometimes go into the garage and hear the music playing, and see that the rear screen is on. I have to unlock/lock again for it to stop... but sometimes it'll just randomly turn on again.

Is there a way to ignore the seatbelt buckled in?

I was wondering why my radio keeps turning on after locking as well.

Interesting observation about the seatbelt. I also have the seat belt buckled in via an extender which makes it easier for the kids to buckle their own belts when they get in.

Reactions: jiehan
I have noticed my radio on several times in the past few months and I do not have any carseats installed or have left any seatbelts buckled. I had to open and close the doors several times and even turn the car back on and off to get the radio to turn off. This seems like a software issue of some sort.

2014 Model S85

I was just about to create a thread but good job TMC on showing similar threads.

I also have a car seat buckled. I didnt think of that as being the culprit as this has never happened our other Teslas.

Anyone have a good way to get this to stop?

Reactions: johnnymacNcal
After messing around with it some more, I think I've at least narrowed down my specific issue. Not sure why it doesn't happen in other Tesla's, as this is my first one... could it be due to the fact there is a rear screen now? Since when the radio stays on, only the rear screen is on with it.

This only seems to happen when I'm charging the car (with the car seat buckled in):

If I park the car, and the car auto-locks, then I open the charge port to plug in, the radio will come/stay on... so basically when I open the charging port while car is locked, it somehow thinks someone is inside the car and turns on the radio / rear screen.

I've tried making sure that the doors are unlocked before I open the charging port, then it seems to be OK, either unlocking by touching a door handle or via the app. The radio / rear screen never come on.

If I park the car and it auto locks and I don't charge, it also works fine (radio / rear screen stays off).

Does this seem to be the case with everyone else? Or maybe I missed something while messing around (just took mental notes over the past few days).

After messing around with it some more, I think I've at least narrowed down my specific issue. Not sure why it doesn't happen in other Tesla's, as this is my first one... could it be due to the fact there is a rear screen now? Since when the radio stays on, only the rear screen is on with it.

This only seems to happen when I'm charging the car (with the car seat buckled in):

If I park the car, and the car auto-locks, then I open the charge port to plug in, the radio will come/stay on... so basically when I open the charging port while car is locked, it somehow thinks someone is inside the car and turns on the radio / rear screen.

I've tried making sure that the doors are unlocked before I open the charging port, then it seems to be OK, either unlocking by touching a door handle or via the app. The radio / rear screen never come on.

If I park the car and it auto locks and I don't charge, it also works fine (radio / rear screen stays off).

Does this seem to be the case with everyone else? Or maybe I missed something while messing around (just took mental notes over the past few days).
Great data point.

For me it typically turns on when i am getting close to the car (if i enter the garage) even if the car does not auto unlock. The music is off/no rear screen then it will light up etc and start playing. Happens when i am not charging, I assume it happens when charging as well

Update. Even when I unlock all the doors to plug in the charger and then lock it... it seems that the radio and rear screen will turn on when charging actually starts. Not sure if this is 100% (will test some more this week)... but it seems to do it after charging starts.

Seems that the start of actual charging, with the belt buckle, seems to wake up the car and think someone is in the back?

For now, the easiest way for me to resolve this is to unlock/lock from the app.

I have noticed my radio on several times in the past few months and I do not have any carseats installed or have left any seatbelts buckled. I had to open and close the doors several times and even turn the car back on and off to get the radio to turn off. This seems like a software issue of some sort.

2014 Model S85
If you have suddenly touched your brake pedal (it will be logged in Notification section of Service menu) twice then it’s a feature that the car stays on. I haven’t yet found user friendly way to “switch it off”, only been able to overcome like descibed here. I’m sorry, but it seems this is not for the new refresh model.

2014 Model S85
Same model, same year, same situation, same issue. First encountered it over a year ago when I returned to my car after like 30 minutes away in a grocery store parking lot and found the radio playing and the screens still on.

I think I have the same issue here. My use case is/was:

• Drive the car to the store
  • Playing Tidal (with Premium Conntictivity) Song was by The Cure
  • Parked car in the parking lot (no one in the car)
  • When i walked away, the car locked (beep and visually validated), no key card or "phone key" left in the card
  • I returned 15 mins later
  • The car unlocked when i opened the door
  • The media player was playing about 5 songs down the play list, now U2
My workaround was to "pause" the media going forward.

I would like to see a feature option to 'turn off any streaming activity' when in Park. Can be activated when the brake is pushed or manually activated.

Yeah. It doesn't even display it on the front main screen... it's the rear screen that turns on and starts playing music. I dont want to unbuckle the car seat, so its something I have to end up dealing with unfortunately until Tesla can fix it.

I've 'chatted' with support online which didn't seem to get anywhere. And filing a bug report in the car just sits there I believe until Tesla pulls it.

Yeah. It doesn't even display it on the front main screen... it's the rear screen that turns on and starts playing music. I dont want to unbuckle the car seat, so its something I have to end up dealing with unfortunately until Tesla can fix it.

I've 'chatted' with support online which didn't seem to get anywhere. And filing a bug report in the car just sits there I believe until Tesla pulls it.
Bug report? Where do you file a bug to Tesla formally?

There is no official way... which is why I tried 'chatting' with them thru tesla.com. They said they'll 'note' it lol

As for the 'bug report', tap the microphone icon and say “bug report. (and then the bug you found.)” You need to say it all in once sentence.

There is no official way... which is why I tried 'chatting' with them thru tesla.com. They said they'll 'note' it lol

As for the 'bug report', tap the microphone icon and say “bug report. (and then the bug you found.)” You need to say it all in once sentence.
I will have to wait unitl my system updates to 2022.4x to "bug report" ... still a new car (different issue). Thanks @DBMPlaid. I will file something. I will post back if I learn anything.