Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio On/Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably a stupid question but I've had my MY for 2 days now. Is there a way to TURN OFF the radio? Right now, I have to turn the volume all the way down and then back up when I want the radio. This just seems dumb. Is there an on/off switch?

As mentioned above you can just push in the Left scroll wheel button, that mutes it. You could also touch and drag to the left the volume on the screen or press and hold it as well to mute. Also, you could switch the "media" you're listening to, go from Radio to Spotify... but quickest way to stop the audio is to push the left button on the steering wheel.

Reactions: Akikiki
I actually ran into a situation today where mute wouldn't work for what I needed. I was trying to watch a youtube video in the web browser (I didn't use the theater youtube app because I was on a web page with an embedded YT video). The radio was playing at the same time as the sound for the video and if I muted the radio, the video was muted too. I ended up just switching to phone audio to silence the music, but I was wishing there was a way to just turn off the radio. Not so common occurrence though.

Reactions: LastGas
This is probably a stupid question but I've had my MY for 2 days now. Is there a way to TURN OFF the radio? Right now, I have to turn the volume all the way down and then back up when I want the radio. This just seems dumb. Is there an on/off switch?
LOL, I have the same question, and from the answers provided, it appears the answer is 'No, you can't actually turn the audio system off'.... So if I am playing Spotify, it will keep playing (albeit muted) until the car goes into sleep mode, I assume.... My daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee was the same. Really prefer to be able to just turn it off.

What I've been doing to turn the radio off is switching to USB and start playing a song there, that turns off the radio; then I stop the song on USB and close the music window. I'll have to try muting with the volume button; seems much easier, though perhaps not as satisfying as a simple off button.

LOL, I have the same question, and from the answers provided, it appears the answer is 'No, you can't actually turn the audio system off'.... So if I am playing Spotify, it will keep playing (albeit muted) until the car goes into sleep mode, I assume.... My daughter's Jeep Grand Cherokee was the same. Really prefer to be able to just turn it off.
This car works the same as my VW - if you select mute, the streaming feed is paused. What I find odd is that when you are streaming from phone and adjust volume, it actually manages the phone volume directly rather than the amplification by the car.

This car works the same as my VW - if you select mute, the streaming feed is paused. What I find odd is that when you are streaming from phone and adjust volume, it actually manages the phone volume directly rather than the amplification by the car.

@WattsappMTL I wonder if this is tied into the "absolute volume" toggle in your phone's bluetooth settings? Here's the setting I'm talking about, from my OnePlus device running OxygenOS 10 (on Android 10):

Screenshot_20210311-080911__01.jpg

I suspect if this toggle were turned off, the behavior your describe would stop.