Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
our x will be here in less than a month but wondering if I need to add satalite
service. We bought upgrade stereo
And I just dropped service from our Lexus rx450h. (Which becomes mine)
Salesperson said comes with slacker.
Is that good? Or do I need to add satellite service to keep wife happy.

Internet good
So slacker has a good selection in your opinion. Then I will skip Sirius. Wife will just have to live without the Beatles channel.

Yup. You'll be able to set up a Beatles channel as well on slacker. The good part is you have the hardware. Try the slacker since it's free and activate XM if you really don't like it. I suspect you'll be ok

our x will be here in less than a month but wondering if I need to add satalite
service. We bought upgrade stereo
And I just dropped service from our Lexus rx450h. (Which becomes mine)
Salesperson said comes with slacker.
Is that good? Or do I need to add satellite service to keep wife happy.

I used to have Sirius in our cars, and our first MS. Now in our MX we don't and don't miss it at all. The sound quality on Satellite radio stinks anyway.

You'll have plenty to choose from using Slacker (Streaming on menu), and TuneIn for just about any radio station, podcasts, talk show, news, etc in the world. Works really well. Both are crystal clear and sharp, 100x better than Sirius. And they are included in the price of car :)

-T

I have been pleasantly surprised by Slacker Radio in my Tesla. The available content and ease of use is impressive. Four years of free/included Slacker is quite generous. XM is also a quality option; it's just different.

Like what the other post indicated, you can create your own Slacker stations and basically mimic the stations that you would find on Sirius.

The Tesla interface for Slacker works better than the mobile app IMO. I can search for a specific song and have it play in my Tesla whereas I cannot do the same on the app without a pop-up telling me that I need to upgrade the service to enjoy that benefit. And yes, I am signed into the app with my Tesla credentials. In addition, the voice recognition is excellent at finding the songs that you are speaking.

You can opt to hear updates from ABC news or ESPN radio or both from time to time - or just turn that feature off and never be interrupted. Although there are very rare intros from DJs who provide some little-known facts about the artist or the song - I probably hear this once every 100 songs or so, maybe even less frequent than that.

The one thing that Slacker could do better is the song arrangements of their Favorites Station. Unlike Pandora's Thumbprint Radio Station that stays in the same general genre for a while as it plays songs you previously thumbed-up, Slacker likes to jump from a bass-laden Metallica song to a fall-asleep Enya tune and then to a Willie Nelson classic. It seems completely random. Pandora is more refined and does a much better job in this regard. So, when at home, I opt for our paid Pandora subscription.

I would highly suggest diving into Slacker and then after a few months make a decision on whether or not an additional satellite subscription would be worth it.

Last edited:
If you miss XM, you can also use the SiriusXM smart phone app and enjoy the stations through Bluetooth. It might sound better. Make sure you have an unlimited data plan on your phone if you use it extensively. The antenna based XM Satellite radio can come in handy on long drives where the LTE or 3G signal is poor. Surprise for the end of May, inactive Sirius and XM radios get 100 free channels through May 30!

--> Free SiriusXM Listening Event runs from May 17 through May 30. Beatles channel 18 included. Enjoy the long weekend. <--

Since Model X does not have an AM radio, find your favorites or alternates using TuneIn. I suggest creating a free account using tunein.com on your computer at home. Select the TuneIn stations you like and add them to your favorites list. Use the same logon in the Tesla and your favorite TuneIn stations should appear.

I would highly suggest diving into Slacker and then after a few months make a decision on whether or not an additional satellite subscription would be worth it.

This makes a lot of sense and is what I did. I ended up negotiating with SiriusXM for a deal on my family plan. I just found Slacker repeats its playlists too often compared to Sirius especially if you tag favorites.