Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

radio reception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how a software update can address a lack of proper RF shielding, which appears to be the case with the Model S AM antenna.
Many radios are now SDRs (software defined radios). That is, they are computers run primarily by software algorithms in Digital Signal Processing. What was previously done in hardware (adding/changing discrete components) can now be done in software.

I rarely listen to AM / FM now since most radio stations stream their content and can be listen to with Slacker. There is no distortion doing it this way.
When I picked up my car, I was told to do it that way since Tesla knows the am/fm reception is terrible.

I live in the mountains south of San Francisco. I get a double whammy: the radio reception just plain stinks and because of all the redwoods, I can't hold a satellite signal consistently. Very annoying. The only FM I listen to, but a lot, is NPR and now I can't get it well through ANY medium. For all I know, the world has come to a screeching halt, but I don't know because I can't tune in!

It really is inexcusable in a car of this class.