Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio upgrade coming soon for MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some have posted in the MCU upgrade thread that Tesla has updated the Infotainment upgrade page and stated that you can now get your radio upgraded too, well almost. Here’s what they have posted and I’ve also confirmed with my excellent SC rep that it’s not available yet, but in the works.

From Tesla Infotainment upgrade page:
Is anything removed with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Yes. You will no longer have access to AM, FM or Sirius XM radio. The upgraded infotainment system is not compatible with the original radio tuner that came equipped on your vehicle. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth®.

Is there any way to keep access to AM, FM and Sirius XM radio?
Yes. Later in Q4 2020, it will be possible to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio with an additional Radio Upgrade, which includes the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

Note: Sirius XM radio is only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas and requires an additional subscription.

I for one can’t wait as I want my FM radio back, I love the Infotainment upgrade, the most important things about it for me was that I gained: Teslacam, side repeater cams for backup and driving, stoplight visuals, and all the other stuff was a bonus but not critical to me at least.

p.s. Anyone know why my signature doesn’t show on posts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tam
should be included in the cost. Make people pay more for a feature the car already has lmao

Sort of. They could easily "include it in the cost" but the cost would be like $2,800 and people like me would have to pay extra for features we don't want/need. I wish more things were a la cart like this and allow me to decide I I want to pay to have it. There have been a LOT of people complaining about the omission so my guess is that this offering is a direct result of that. I would also guess that those who felt their lives would end w/o it would gladly pay a small fee to add it back in. I mean seriously, how can you be faulting Tesla for giving people the option for something they may or may not want? People should be glad the choice will even exist because as of now, it doesn't.

Tesla can't please anyone on this topic I guess.

Tesla could provide a streaming replacement for the loss of AM/FM/HD/XM radio.

But that will require multiple streaming apps - no single app provides comparable content.

Radio.com is missing stations.

Live national news and sports is mostly available only from the SiriusXM app.

It looks like Tesla is moving away from radio support in new vehicles - SiriusXM doesn't appear to be an option any more.

Tesla could drop radio support in new vehicles completely if they provided a complete set of streaming apps - especially if they supported Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - or equivalent, that would allow 3rd party streaming apps to be controlled from the console display.

But until they have that, they still need to support radio.

And if they offer a radio option with the MCU2 upgrade, that could get most of the remaining HW3/MCU1 customers to upgrade - and may allow Tesla to drop support for FSD on HW3/MCU1 vehicles.

Tesla seems to be focusing most of their "entertainment" resources on adding features that can only be used (now) while the vehicle is parked (especially useful when supercharging).

We aren't seeing much investment in upgrading the entertainment features while the vehicle is in motion - which could be significantly improved by adding more built-in streaming apps (radio.com, XM, audible, ...) and/or adding some form of bluetooth screen mirroring (so smartphone apps can be controlled from the console display).

If/when Tesla ever gets approval for FSD to operate without driver monitoring (which will likely happen first on limited access highways), those entertainment features that are allowed only during park will then be usable while the vehicle is in motion - and will provide considerable benefit when noone has to be driving...

For a total of $3000 to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 and only lose AM radio, we'll more seriously consider getting the upgrade done for our 2017 S. We listen to several AM radio stations for live sports (which isn't an issue right now) - but all of those stations are also available on FM as HD radio stations - so losing AM (which we've never had in our 2018 X) is completely acceptable.

Sort of. They could easily "include it in the cost" but the cost would be like $2,800 and people like me would have to pay extra for features we don't want/need. I wish more things were a la cart like this and allow me to decide I I want to pay to have it. There have been a LOT of people complaining about the omission so my guess is that this offering is a direct result of that. I would also guess that those who felt their lives would end w/o it would gladly pay a small fee to add it back in. I mean seriously, how can you be faulting Tesla for giving people the option for something they may or may not want? People should be glad the choice will even exist because as of now, it doesn't.

Tesla can't please anyone on this topic I guess.

Now that I know it's going to be $3,000 total instead of the $2,800 guess I was basing this post on, my stance on this topic is only further strengthened. I'm glad they removed it and left is as an option for the vocal minority to pay for should they want it. Face it, AM/FM/XM is a dinosaur and for the vast majority of users it's not a button that will ever be pressed. It's like complaining that they don't have a CD drive in the car and expecting everyone else to pay $3,000 instead of $2,500 to have one & complaining when it doesn't. Move on.

I don't really need it, but I'll get it. I know my wife would love XM for the Model Y.

Now, how to get it?

Not an option for the Model Y - this is only an upgrade for S/X that have (or used to have) MCU1 and are upgrading (or previously upgraded) to MCU2. Those folks had AM/FM and in some circumstances XM and lost it in the upgrade. This is to restore FM and XM for those who had the antenna already.