Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raer Seat Folding/Unfolding/Reclining Clarification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may have an issue or they changed stuff. I simply pull either of the switches located in the hatch area which sends the seats down no problem. I do find the seats rather difficult to flip back up as if they are fighting the motors. I have no problem lifting them but seriously doubt my wife would be able to. Secondly the recline when seated, I need to pull back on the seat mounted control above my shoulder and push rearward with my back and then release to lock when I am in the desired position, once again there is resistance which seems like a combo of motor and spring. I caught this in a video which shows the seats recline automatically (motor assist) in steps every time the button is pulled? Mine do not do this, do yours?

EDIT..... Correction, if you sit in the car and do this they do revline as per the video, I was trying this standing outside of the car. Still find the rear seats difficult to flip back up though, are yours the same? Nature of the beast?

The manual is useless in this respect by the way. Skip to the 9:33 mark of this video to see what I am referring to.

Last edited:
The motors (you can hear) are only there to unlock the position, they don't do anything to hold the seat in a certain recline position. But indeed it takes quite a bit of force to overcome the spring that seems to push the seat down to its reclined position, in particular the 60% / left side.

So my second row right side will fold down automatically when I pull the switch in the hatch, but the left side won't. Tesla is telling me that they are not supposed to fold down automatically...you need to push them. The video in the first post above around the 13:30 mark show both of the seats folding down automatically when the switches are pushed. Does anyone's here both fold down automatically?

So my second row right side will fold down automatically when I pull the switch in the hatch, but the left side won't. Tesla is telling me that they are not supposed to fold down automatically...you need to push them. The video in the first post above around the 13:30 mark show both of the seats folding down automatically when the switches are pushed. Does anyone's here both fold down automatically?
They are not telling you the truth. They should both fold down when you push the button.

Reactions: frankvb
They are not telling you the truth. They should both fold down when you push the button.
I figured that. The newer ones might not do it now (or maybe they are all built wrong and also have the mis-alignmnet issue). The Tesla webpage now describes the feature as "Electronic fold-flat releases in trunk" I can't confirm, but I could have sworn they used to be described as automatic folding