Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rage at a Supercharger Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is unfortunate, and as one other poster noted, the more "mainstream" Teslas become the more likely these sorts of things might happen. Its already occurring in the over burdened public Level 2 charging network here in SoCal. I have pretty much stopped trying to charge at public stations due to all the negative experiences. The free ones are the worst. Its like civility goes out the window when something is "free".

Its something I worry about if the Supercharger network remains "all you can eat" the way it is now. People don't do free or unlimited well beyond some critical mass. And right now, with no defined Supercharger policy, it just creates confusion as to what people are actually getting when they buy the car (or what they paid for when they upgraded to supercharger access)

Have the mods given any thought to a waiting period for new members before they are able to start new posts? Maybe a verified VIN and you could bypass. Just saying, since there are a few new members tat seem like shorts spreading FUD. This story might be true but has zero credibility to me even if the member has a whole 2 months of history and 4 posts total

Last edited:
This makes me think that the supercharger configurations will have to be rethought at some point, to allow drive-through use instead of parking in a "spot". They will need to operate more like a gas station with pumps, so that a clear line can be formed leading up to each spot or perhaps two spots (A and B). Pumps become oversubscribed all the time on heavily traveled highways in the summer, for example along the NJ pike. The wait can be pretty long but lines form up and progress through the station in an orderly fashion. I'm not convinced there will be any electronic substitute for that at superchargers.

Especially when you have no option, like apartment dwellers. I think waiting 30 minutes for a charge is bad enough, waiting 20-40 minutes to start charging is real bad.
If you think taking 30 minutes to charge at a supercharger is "bad enough", maybe a Tesla isn't for you. As much
as I promote EVs in general and Tesla in particular, I admit they're not for everyone or everyone's driving situation.

I'm a huge Carlin fan, but in this case he's conflating average (mean) with median.

I read your reply and for a minute it blew my mind because you're right!
But...isn't the population of people large enough that these things more or less fall in a standard distribution, in which case, the median is pretty much the same as the mean? Meaning (pun intended), Carlin's use of the word mean wasn't really far enough off to make a difference to his point.

I really could have done without specifying ethnicities. It did not help the story in any way. I'm reasonably certain that you are neither an "Asian" woman or an "Indian" woman, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Next time, start the story with, "Two people who have nothing in common with me except owning a Tesla..." It has the same ring to it.

Or even better, describe them as, "Two people who obviously don't have the patience to own an EV..." Because we could probably all agree with that.

There's enough tension in the world as it is, as your story otherwise demonstrates.

Only two spots at the Bethesda charger and someone parks in one not even charging. Not an ICE but a Model S so they know better. Can't upload the photo from my phone but the owner of MD 67927 is definitely causing me some rage. Two empty spots they could have used.

Last edited: