Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rage at a Supercharger Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had any serious issues at the San Diego supercharger, only had to use it a few times coming back from out of town. But it can get pretty busy around lunch time and after people get out of work. Mostly local chargers, if I had to guess.

Still, no reason to fight over a freakin' charging spot. Yeesh...

I'm a huge Carlin fan, but in this case he's conflating average (mean) with median.

My favorite thing about Carlin's quote is how every time someone uses it, someone else comes by and demonstrates it by trying to say it's wrong. The quote is fine, because "average" can refer to any of mean, median, or mode, and because intelligence is normally distributed so the mean and median are the same value anyway.

I think we all know there are jerks in the world, even among Tesla drivers and there are just as many males as females ones. This incident is about one of those. It's not a Supercharger problem, it's not a Tesla problem, it's not an EV problem.

This makes me think that the supercharger configurations will have to be rethought at some point, to allow drive-through use instead of parking in a "spot". They will need to operate more like a gas station with pumps, so that a clear line can be formed leading up to each spot or perhaps two spots (A and B). Pumps become oversubscribed all the time on heavily traveled highways in the summer, for example along the NJ pike. The wait can be pretty long but lines form up and progress through the station in an orderly fashion. I'm not convinced there will be any electronic substitute for that at superchargers.
You think these 2 gals have their shorts in a bunch ... wait 'till the massive quantities of (Model 3) cheap Teslas hit the road. Without a doubling up of supercharger quantities in some areas? Every (wo)man for him/her self. Wild wild west revisited.
:(

Not sure if this story is true or not however I must say if you made it in life to where you can buy a 100k plus car in California no less where the cost of living is insane compared to where I live. You really should check your priorities wtf could be so important that you have to fight over a charging station. I recently picked up my Tesla, and the point I am in life not much bothers me I feel blessed to be able to even sniff the inside of a Tesla. I grew up dirt poor how these people are fighting over something this trivial is beyond my comprehension. Put a book in your car and friggin read while you are waiting or play Candy Crush or something getting out fighting over "who is in line" is insane who gives a crap pick something worth while to worry about instead of this crap.

My favorite thing about Carlin's quote is how every time someone uses it, someone else comes by and demonstrates it by trying to say it's wrong. The quote is fine, because "average" can refer to any of mean, median, or mode, and because intelligence is normally distributed so the mean and median are the same value anyway.
My point is that in common language, people use average to mean any of the things you mention. However, it really does mean "mean" -- add up the numbers and divide by the sample size. It's a peeve of mine. Weathercasters (I hesitate to call them meteorologists), often use language "it's ten degrees colder than it should be today. Of course, this is based on the average high or low temperature. Of course, it's possible (although unlikely) that the mean high temperature has never been the actual high temperature. People aren't as stupid (back to the original quote) as the media seems to treat them. If you want to say mean/average, say that. If you want to say median, use the correct term with perhaps a little explanation.

Oh, and I do understand the concept of artistic license and have no doubt Carlin understood the correct meaning of these statistical terms.

My point is that in common language, people use average to mean any of the things you mention. However, it really does mean "mean" -- add up the numbers and divide by the sample size. It's a peeve of mine. Weathercasters (I hesitate to call them meteorologists), often use language "it's ten degrees colder than it should be today. Of course, this is based on the average high or low temperature. Of course, it's possible (although unlikely) that the mean high temperature has never been the actual high temperature. People aren't as stupid (back to the original quote) as the media seems to treat them. If you want to say mean/average, say that. If you want to say median, use the correct term with perhaps a little explanation.

Oh, and I do understand the concept of artistic license and have no doubt Carlin understood the correct meaning of these statistical terms.

I feel this is like arguing that the HPWC is a connector and not a charger because the charger is in the car. I think the meaning is clear enough without getting pedantic.

My point is that in common language, people use average to mean any of the things you mention. However, it really does mean "mean" -- add up the numbers and divide by the sample size. It's a peeve of mine.

But the definition for average is: "1 a : a single value (as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values"

Where are you getting that it "really" means mean?

Debating the meaning of "average" is pointless anyway, because as I mentioned, the statement is still true even if you take "average" to be the mean, because the distribution is such that the two numbers match. If you want the complaint to be valid, you have to overcome both points!

Anyway, I'll stop now.

Here in Tokyo, everything forms a line. What do the operators of convenience stores, ATM, train tracks do? Form a single line queue. We call it "form a line like a fork".

Probably a bit of waste of space, but a queue for SC with clear road markings would avoid that kind of hassles. We have some queues at some busy CHAdeMO stations.

Here in Tokyo, everything forms a line. What do the operators of convenience stores, ATM, train tracks do? Form a single line queue. We call it "form a line like a fork".

Probably a bit of waste of space, but a queue for SC with clear road markings would avoid that kind of hassles. We have some queues at some busy CHAdeMO stations.
The problem with this is that a lot of the current Superchargers are in places like malls and near shopping centers where it's not feasible to have a line of cars clogging the parking lot. If it becomes an issue lot owners are likely to get upset and demand something be done. I agree this is the most fair solution, but it's not easy to implement in many of the existing locations.

The problem with this is that a lot of the current Superchargers are in places like malls and near shopping centers where it's not feasible to have a line of cars clogging the parking lot. If it becomes an issue lot owners are likely to get upset and demand something be done. I agree this is the most fair solution, but it's not easy to implement in many of the existing locations.
Exactly. The San Diego supercharger is just in the Qualcomm corporate parking lot - no real way to set up a nice organized line without blocking access to parking spaces or entry into the lot.

Ahhh, the Great Unwashed of America, as my old boss used to say. It continues to be shocking to me just how self absorbed and inconsiderate people can be. If they are that bad simply charging their car, imagine what they are like in the other aspects of their lives. I'd be pissed too. To me, it shows just how unhappy so many people are that they cannot find it in themselves to give just a little bit.

My answer is: you stay way over there. I'll stay way over here.