Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rage at a Supercharger Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bear in mind that there isn't going to be 200,000 M3 cars the first day delivery starts. It will be a slow ramp up process just like the Model S ramp up process, because it's a new car and it will come off of a new production line. (There might even be some signed by Elon.) So Tesla will have three years from today to significantly increase the number of SCs. Will there be some SC locations that are oversubscribed? Sure. That's always going to happen. Heck, it happens with gas stations and they've been building them for a century, but the majority of locations will be just fine.

Perhaps tesla can code their cars to auto disconnect the charge point and roll out from the parking lot autonomously after charging is done. This may partially solve the problem

I suspect this will happen eventually - Auto Valet Supercharging, where the car drops you at the lounge entrance, then goes to charge (or wait for a charger,) and unplugs and goes back to a waiting area when done, to wait until you're ready and summon it back to the lounge/mall entrance.

However, it requires a Supercharger that can connect and disconnect automatically, with no human intervention - possibly something like the "metal snake" that tesla showed last year. Only Autopilot cars are capable of it - and the current generation ones aren't well suited to it - having the side and rear looking sensors of the presumed Autopilot 2 would make it a much faster, more confident process.

So Tesla would have to make some sort of allowance for pre AP cars - keep some lanes or some sites in the current form even as they add automated sites/lanes.

There would also have to be some sort of control setting to decide when you're "done" - is it when you've got a reserve for the next destination? or only when you hit the charge limit set on the center console - even if that's 100% and so you're charging slower than typical level 2 speeds in a busy SpC stall? Does Tesla get to decide between the two in cases where a site is getting overloaded?

Lots of things to sort out on both the technical and philosophical sides, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them starting to experiment with it in a few years - as soon as they have most of the bugs sorted out on the initial 3 production, probably.
Walter

Reactions: lklundin
I suspect this will happen eventually - Auto Valet Supercharging

What speaks in favour of this solution is that the valet/charging area will typically be on private property.

This means that there does not need to be regulatory approval for a Tesla's autonomous driving in connection with supercharging.

Just imagine how random bypassers will stare with open mouths as a bunch of different Tesla models autonomously take turns at the snake chargers.

Additionally this will obviate the need for Elon Musk's warning to Stephen Colbert: Don't drop anything while you're near the snake charger. :)

Last edited:
Bear in mind that there isn't going to be 200,000 M3 cars the first day delivery starts. It will be a slow ramp up process just like the Model S ramp up process, because it's a new car and it will come off of a new production line. (There might even be some signed by Elon.) So Tesla will have three years from today to significantly increase the number of SCs. Will there be some SC locations that are oversubscribed? Sure. That's always going to happen. Heck, it happens with gas stations and they've been building them for a century, but the majority of locations will be just fine.
The big difference is there will most likely be another gas station down the street and only takes 5-10 minutes to fill. When you're Supercharging and away from home, you have no other choice but wait.

Although it is a lot of work to create new supercharger stations, I think it is a lot less work to add additional stalls to existing supercharger stations. I am hopeful that Tesla will be able to meet demand in overcrowded stations by adding stalls, at least as a short term solution.

Regarding the cars automatically plugging themselves in and unplugging, I think this is a job perfectly suited to a human. No need for fancy cameras and sensors and robots.

@kort677
Dude, when you wake up do you just think to yourself "how can I be the most negative and argumentative person I can be"
He's right there is no capability so is that argumentative? How is the charger to unplug itself? The snake isn't available at this point. He's just stating what's available now and there is no way for that to happen now.

As of now, I wouldn't my car to summon out of the garage without me being there let alone in a parking lot where there is constant traffic.

There is no need for expansion at the same location, Tesla should build addition SCs closer to San Diego downtown and somewhere between San Diego and San Juan Capistrano.
San Diego is a destination. It's not on the way to anywhere. Perhaps it could use more destination charging, but putting more superchargers in the San Diego area isn't going to do anything to enable long-distance travel. Better to use that money to continue building out superchargers on highways that don't have them. Middle America isn't going to buy Teslas until there are more supercharged routes in the middle of America

San Diego is a destination. It's not on the way to anywhere. Perhaps it could use more destination charging, but putting more superchargers in the San Diego area isn't going to do anything to enable long-distance travel. Better to use that money to continue building out superchargers on highways that don't have them. Middle America isn't going to buy Teslas until there are more supercharged routes in the middle of America
Obviously true. However we need vastly more public charging everywhere worldwide, Superchargers, Destination and every other option.,if the last few days show anything it is that BEV's can go mainstream in a flash with compelling product. I hope nobody misses the point, we need more BEV's!

There is no need for expansion at the same location, Tesla should build addition SCs closer to San Diego downtown and somewhere between San Diego and San Juan Capistrano.
I agree and stopped by the Customer Service desk at Outlets at San Clemente to request they contact Tesla. The gentleman at the counter mentioned that some form of charging is being considered.

The location is easy to access from Interstate 5 and the parking lots are huge. It would be an beautiful location for a 12 to 20 Supercharger installation. Stop by and check it out!

Home - Outlets at San Clemente

South OC Cars & Coffee is held on the 3rd Saturday every month.

Cruisin' The Coast#2

I agree and stopped by the Customer Service desk at Outlets at San Clemente to request they contact Tesla. The gentleman at the counter mentioned that some form of charging is being considered.

The location is easy to access from Interstate 5 and the parking lots are huge. It would be an beautiful location for a 12 to 20 Supercharger installation. Stop by and check it out!

Home - Outlets at San Clemente

South OC Cars & Coffee is held on the 3rd Saturday every month.

Cruisin' The Coast#2

It's great that you're making the effort to help expand the Supercharging network, and that you have identified what you think would be an excellent site. But I think rather than (or at least in addition to) trying to get someone from the potential location to contact Tesla, you really should try to get Tesla to contact that person. They way to do that is to use Tesla's "suggest a Supercharger" form, found here:

Supercharging

If you have friends or other local users that agree with you about the potential location, encourage them to fill out the form as well.

Good luck!

It's great that you're making the effort to help expand the Supercharging network, and that you have identified what you think would be an excellent site. But I think rather than (or at least in addition to) trying to get someone from the potential location to contact Tesla, you really should try to get Tesla to contact that person. They way to do that is to use Tesla's "suggest a Supercharger" form, found here:

Supercharging

If you have friends or other local users that agree with you about the potential location, encourage them to fill out the form as well.

Good luck!

I think they should have the same contact/query option for suggesting Service Centers (not necessarily sales), especially prior to rolling out the Model 3. Locals know what Locals need.

First time I saw two ladies go at it at a supercharger station in San Diego. Pretty packed day with a line of people waiting for their Model S/X to be charged.

An Indian lady waiting very patiently in line until an Asian lady finds a spot and zooms in to take it. Indian lady is furious and tells her that there is a line. Asian lady says if I didn't see you then you didn't see me and says there is no dedicated waiting line. Asian lady says she doesn't give a *sugar*.

Indian lady gets even more furious and tries blocking/hitting the other woman's car. Group of people started to join in the argument. One side says there is a line while the other says you can either wait on one side of the stall or the other.

Before it escalated even further, luckily a handful of owners have finished their respective charges and gave up their spots just in time.

This could've got ugly.
I think this must be an American thing but is an Indian not Asian? Certainly considered such by us from the mother-country.