TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rain and headlights

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gynob001, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

This may have been answered before. Does the headlight turn on automatically when the car senses rain? I am assuming the hadlight turns on automatically when a car enters a tunnel. Is there a manual headlight ON/OFF mode?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Headlights have a manual on/off/auto. They also come on (i believe) per California Law that the headlight have to be on when the wipers are operating

3. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Mine always have, though, it could also be that they sensed it was darker out as well. But for me, mine come on.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

When the headlights are in automatic mode they come on when the wipers are on regardless of ambient lighting conditions. It can be raining and the sun shining and the headlights will still come on with the wipers.

I can't say if they also do in manual mode because I've never had the headlamps in anything but automatic. You can control the headlamps manually and it is done via the touchscreen.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

All of my past cars with auto headlights come on whenever the wipers are on. Many jurisdictions have laws on the books calling for headlight use in the rain, so this just makes it easy.

6. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

So, in the ON setting, will they turn on when the car comes out of sleep and turn off when the car goes to sleep? I'd assume so. It's namely mandatory in Estonia to have headlights on whenever driving independent of the day of time or weather conditions. I've had it on all cars for as far as I can remember though sometimes cars needed adjusting at the service center to get that mode. For those the default was that in ON mode the car starts to make a noise if you turn off the engine and don't turn off the lights so it's an annoyance as I'd always forget to turn them on the next morning and therefore was likely to be fined...

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Estonia's laws are regarding headlights in the daytime, but here in Canada we are required to have "Daytime Running Lights" (DRLs) which can be, but don't have to be the full lighting system. Tesla implements this by having the LED "eyebrow" lights on bright whenever the regular headlights are off. Would that work in Estonia, or do you require the full headlight system to be on there?

In answer to your question (and speaking to Canadian-spec cars) if you turn the headlights on, they will revert to "Auto" the next time you start the car.

Canadian cars have the DRL on/off option removed from the touchscreen whereas US cars have the option to disable them. I would imagine that when Tesla sells cars in Estonia, they will implement the proper process through software so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

8. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I'll need to check, but I think the DRLs will be enough. Tesla doesn't sell in Estonia so I'm buying and have to pick it up from Tilburg or organize transport, so can't be 100% how it's configured, but I guess if it's configurable I can turn it on :)

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The interesting thing in Canada is that the law only requires cars after model year 1990 (I think) to have them. Older cars aren't required to be retrofitted, and can be driven without DRLs. Not wise with so many DRL-equipped cars on the road because you would be "masked" and less visible in a sea of DRLs.